If the highway goes thru school property?

Guest tonybon

Guest tonybon

I live in cookeville. We have a major street that travles thru the middle of Tennessee Tech campus. Willow ave. a 4 lane main street. It is also a state hwy. 136. My question is if I'm pulled over say, for speeding on this street, in the campus part and caring my handgun am I in vilotation of the Tennessee law covering school property? Or am I ok because I'm in my car? I'm not droping off or picking up! Their are ball fields on both sides of the street in on place, and dorms on both sides in another place. We also have a street ( dixie ave.) that runs north to south of the city that splits the campus in half. You have to stop and give walkers the right of way. What if you were stoped their just passing thru from one side of town to the other, is this breaking the law if you are carring?Just thinking???

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HexHead

My guess is that if the road is a public road and especially a State highway, your fine. Technically, the campus property probably starts/ stops at the curb. It would be different if the road was a private road that was owned by the campus.

According to T.C.A. - check the last sentence below.

39-17-1309. Carrying weapons on school property. —

(a) As used in this section, “weapon of like kind†includes razors and razor blades, except those used solely for personal shaving, and any sharp pointed or edged instrument, except unaltered nail files and clips and tools used solely for preparation of food, instruction and maintenance.

(:rolleyes: (1) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, with the intent to go armed, any firearm, explosive, explosive weapon, bowie knife, hawk bill knife, ice pick, dagger, slingshot, leaded cane, switchblade knife, blackjack, knuckles or any other weapon of like kind, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution.

(2) A violation of this subsection (B) is a Class E felony.

© (1) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any firearm, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution. It is not an offense under this subsection © for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by the adult, or by any other person acting with the expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property.

If it is a public road, in other words, not a private road owned by the school, then you are not on school property as long as you are on the road or the right-away of the road.

I work on a federal instillation, state hwy 104 goes right through the middle of it, as long as you don't go inside the fences on either side of the highway you are not in the arsenal even though it is all you can see in any direction.

39-17-1309 would not apply because as said, you are not on school property.

The point here is that even if he were on school property, he's still good as long as he doesn't handle the weapon.

That was the point of your post, not necessarily to the point as to whether the road is school property or not :rolleyes:

The only reason I mentioned it is because every so often there are post asking about roads through schools, National Parks and other places that are off-limits. So I was trying to point out that as long as the road is a public road and not owned by the school, National Park, etc.... then the restrictions of the places don't apply. A publicly owned road going through an off-limits place is the same as a main street in the middle of town.

If it is a public road, in other words, not a private road owned by the school, then you are not on school property as long as you are on the road or the right-away of the road.

I work on a federal instillation, state hwy 104 goes right through the middle of it, as long as you don't go inside the fences on either side of the highway you are not in the arsenal even though it is all you can see in any direction.

39-17-1309 would not apply because as said, you are not on school property.

Wished I'd have known that a few months ago. Took a wrong turn and ended up on a main road that seemed to divide a fed installation, myself (carrying 2) and my son (carrying 1) wipped the truck around and got the heck out of dodge.

I got lost on the back side of Oak Ridge one time. Turned on this side road to turn around and there were guards manning a checkpoint. I drove up told them I made a wrong turn they said happens alot and allowed me to do a U Turn and I got out of Dodge.

Guest tonybon

thanks that helps to know. so even if the leo ask you to pull into the school parking lot to get out of trafic as long as the wepon is not handled one should be ok.