Any good gunsmiths??

Guest Nash45

I would like to get a good action job on my SP 101. I have called around to gunsmiths at various shops and have been less than impressed with their phone demeanor. I would appreciate any recommendations on who to take the gun to. I dont want the gun ruined by someone doing half ass work. I live in Nashville.

Thanks in advance,

Carson

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

I think that you would be best served sending that CZ to someone who really knows the guns inside and out.

http://ghostholster.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of that page and you'll see mention of their association with gunsmith Eric Zinn and contact info. The site's proprietor is Angus Hobdell -- US Multi Grand Master, 4 Times STI / American Handgunner Shoot Off winner, Multi British & European Champion. All done with a CZ.

Carson,

Try calling Tom Marker, at Lock, Stock, & Barrel, in Franklin. he's the gunsmith from whom I rent space. Tom isn't going to win any Mr. Congeniality awards, but he's not a real jerk, either. But, you want good gunwork, not a fishing buddy, right? Tom's been working on guns since he enlisted in the Marine Corps as a Small Arms Machinist, in 1969. In addition to that, he's a retired Tool & Die Machinist, having spent most of his adult life working for Detroit Diesel. If it involves gunsmithing, Tom's seen it and/or done it. A trigger job shouldn't be tough at all for him to handle.

His number is (615) 591-1721. His shop address is 105 Southeast Parkway, #106, Franklin, TN 37064. Tell him Frank said to call him.

and have been less than impressed with their phone demeanor.

I dont want the gun ruined by someone doing half ass work. I live in Nashville.

I’m not familiar with the Ruger at all; isn’t it about the size of the S&W J-Frame?

I’m real familiar with the J-Frames and most Smiths won’t do an “action job” on them because they have a heavy trigger pull by design and making them any better can result in a gun that will fail to fire.

Could that be why they aren’t jumping on doing yours?

Give Predator Custom Shop in Knoxville a call. Ask for Bob Howard. He has done all my work and have been very pleased with him. Their rates are very reasonable and turnaround time has always been very quick.

DaG

DaG......I will give Predator Custom a call. thanks for the tip.....

DaveTN.....Yes the Ruger SP 101 is a j-frame. I dont know enough about gunsmithing to know if they are avoiding working on it. A few people I have contacted so far dont think it is no big deal to do the job. I dont know enough about the process to know if it is a good idea to get it done or if its best to leave it alone. I am trying to call around and get a feel for confident these people sound when I discuss it.

Do a search on google for Gemini Customs (I think that's it). One of my employees has a sp101 and he's likely to send it to them. If I remember right, they pretty much specialize in sp101's. My employee Josh has done some minor trigger work to his to smooth it up (aside from just working the action on dry fire quite a bit, big difference). Once he gets to work this evening, I'll double check the company name.

Additionally, try Coal Creek Armory in Knoxville. I'm opting for their Melonite finish for my Para instead of the NP3, and going to have them do some extra detail work prior to finishing. Everything I've seen from them on the 1911 forum has been stellar, with reasonable pricing.