Why join NRA?..."controlled oposition"

Guest momuzyk

Guest bkelm18
:popcorn: If one has a different opinion than some of the Administration or a few Brown Noser's on here, seems all the sheeples jump on to that person!

I think the NRA is better than Nothing, but not by much!

There are better but smaller Groups!:D

Care to expound? Sheeples? Never been called one but ok. I don't jump on people who come to the table with logical, respectful, thought out arguments, unlike your post. I do jump on people who name call or just spout off the same old tired crap.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:popcorn: If one has a different opinion than some of the Administration or a few Brown Noser's on here, seems all the sheeples jump on to that person!

I think the NRA is better than Nothing, but not by much!

There are better but smaller Groups!:D

Different opinions are one thing but when you jump on a gun forum and start talking **** about the largest organization in this country that is fighting for our gun rights you better be ready to back that mouth up.

I tell you what, everyone of you that have stepped in here and shot your mouths off, write me a ****ing check your ass can cash and tell me what you do everyday to secure MY 2nd amendment rights. Not your own, but mine because that is what the NRA does even for the people that own guns but won't drop 25 bucks on a membership.

Without the NRA, the 94 ban would have been permanent. It would have included every semi-auto.

Without the NRA we'd have had national waiting periods, instead we get NICS (or for Tennessee, a state background check, but still instant, more or less).

NRA isn't the only organization, but is the largest, and reasonably effective. NRA isn't as hard-line as I would like - but neither are 8 out of 10 on this forum. Sometimes NRA doesn't even leading the charge - but they are good to have in your corner.

Besides, it makes the antigunners cry. How cool is that? If you join, it isn't "they", its' "We", and ultimately "I am the NRA". You will be feared and hated by the left, despised as an individual rather than a prole. Thats' gotta be worth cool points, anyway.

Well put.

Guest joeharris
I am not even gonna post what I think. I am sure to get jumped on. Ha.

:D Just post something good about the NRA and you will have some new friends here as well as a few Brownie Points!

Seems there is no Freedom of Speech here, unless you agree with a few of the Chosen ones!:popcorn:

Just remember a few rules, dont talk bad about Barney, no matter what!

Dont talk bad about the NRA!

Dont talk bad about Nut's wanting to shoot Dogs walking across their Property! ETC......................................................................................................................

Guest Phantom6

Besides, it makes the antigunners cry. How cool is that? If you join, it isn't "they", its' "We", and ultimately "I am the NRA". You will be feared and hated by the left, despised as an individual rather than a prole. Thats' gotta be worth cool points, anyway.

As a Life member, I am the NRA as well. I get a real kick out of the ani-gunners that see the NRA seal on my trucks or automobiles and confront me about it. I view that as a mark of victory when it upsets them so much that they get their panties in a wad enough to say something about it.

Guest bkelm18
:D Just post something good about the NRA and you will have some new friends here as well as a few Brownie Points!

Seems there is no Freedom of Speech here, unless you agree with a few of the Chosen ones!:popcorn:

Dont talk bad about Nut's wanting to shoot Dogs walking across their Property! ETC......................................................................................................................

:P:rofl: Good luck with that.

:screwy: Just post something good about the NRA and you will have some new friends here as well as a few Brownie Points!

Seems there is no Freedom of Speech here, unless you agree with a few of the Chosen ones!:rolleyes:

Seems you don't play well with others.

Also seems you and Bullwinkle are one in the same,so at this point I'll stop my argument until the Admin steps in...

Not supporting the NRA simply because they aren't perfect is not a very good idea, in my opinion. The NRA is far better than nothing, and has accomplished more than any other organizations.

I'll be the first to admit, I wish they would take a tougher stance at times, but even I'm wise enough to understand that sometimes certian situations require a little finesse and compromise.

I'm with those who feel the Second Amendment is a right, not a mere privilege granted to us underlings. On the other hand, we must realize that all too many of those who create our laws don't feel the same. They ultimately have the power to take away EVERYTHING, and that is where the NRA comes in handy. At least they are making attempts at helping us keep some of our Second Amendment rights.

Rather than being upset with the NRA, it may be more beneficial being upset with those who are trying their damndest to strip us of more and more of our rights, and those who've elected them, giving them the opportunity to do so.

When it come to our Second Amendment rights, the NRA is only a lobbying organization. They can't force anything, and they sure as heck can't pass the laws themselves. And they undoubtedly accomplish a whole lot more than most of those who complain about what the NRA isn't doing. Chances are, complaining is about all most are doing.

You can't expect to pay your membership fees and forget about it. NRA members still need to make it a point to contact their Representatives, and let them know how YOU feel. Push YOUR weight around a little. The more constituents they hear from, the better. Even though the NRA represents many people, they are still only one voice. Let yourself be heard.

As I've stated before, I'm not always happy with their decision making processes, but I will continue to support the NRA. I will also make it a point to personally be heard.

Edited by TripleDigitRide
  • Administrator

An unexpected but useful byproduct of this thread has been that it made a few ingrates stand out from the crowd by lobbing accusations against the Administration of TGO (me, primarily) of surrounding ourselves with sycophantic members. Nothing could be further from the truth.

However, I do take issue with the notion that these two feel they can come onto a forum that I've worked hard to create and grow, and make such statements in the first place. You don't go into a man's home and disrespect him, expecting not to be shown to the door.

Apparently "manners" aren't as common in some parts of the gun community as I had originally thought. Therefore, these two will no longer be with us here.

Edited to add...

What appeared at first blush to be two people (Bullwinkle, Joeharris) has turned out to be one person using two different names to post in this thread. Actually, this person has had several accounts on TGO, all of which have been deleted. Crazy is as crazy does, apparently.

Edited by TGO David

Well, the NRA is far from perfect but they are the best we've got. If you want to see some changes in the NRA just join, keep your membership up for five years, and you can vote for the board. Philosophically, I much prefer the GOA's stance on gun rights to that of the NRA. But there is no denying that the NRA has done more to help maintain our gun rights than any other organization. Without them I doubt we would still have many of the rights we enjoy today.

With all due respect, I disagree with those in this thread who have said we sometimes must compromise. To me, God given rights are non-negotiable. This is the reason I prefer the GOA. No compromises. I will still remain a member of the GOA and NRA, the GOA for their stance and the NRA for their clout.

With all due respect, I disagree with those in this thread who have said we sometimes must compromise. To me, God given rights are non-negotiable.

I'm trying to understand what you're saying, but when I see people make such a statement, I can't help but wonder just how strongly they really feel about not compromising.

I could be way off, but the way I see it is, if you honestly believe these are non-negotiable, God given rights, you surely couldn't bring yourself to follow the laws which were implemented by way of a compromise. That would be an act of compromise in itself.

How many are willing to lose their families, everything they've worked for, their freedom, all because they don't believe in compromise?

I would like to think we have a much smarter crowd here on TGO.

Guest bkelm18
Well, the NRA is far from perfect but they are the best we've got. If you want to see some changes in the NRA just join, keep your membership up for five years, and you can vote for the board. Philosophically, I much prefer the GOA's stance on gun rights to that of the NRA. But there is no denying that the NRA has done more to help maintain our gun rights than any other organization. Without them I doubt we would still have many of the rights we enjoy today.

With all due respect, I disagree with those in this thread who have said we sometimes must compromise. To me, God given rights are non-negotiable. This is the reason I prefer the GOA. No compromises. I will still remain a member of the GOA and NRA, the GOA for their stance and the NRA for their clout.

Which is exactly why GOA is where it is, and the NRA is where it is.

Guest 3pugguy
I am new to the culture and the forums as well and would like for someone to please explain to me why everyone says you must join the NRA. I have done my research on the NRA and other groups as well and to be honest with you, they seem to just be "controlled oposition" in my opinion. For example, there is nooooo way Soto should have been sworn in as new justice. To me personally the NRA should have been ALL over this way making all kind of noise & threats to politicians so she wasn't confirmed. To me the 2nd amendment is a right and not a privlege and it should not be up for debate at all which is seems the NRA does. Just my .02 cents, but if anyone has another angle I'm not looking at, please chime in.

Thanks,

The NRA does more than lobby for gun rights - think of the education activities and efforts to promote safe and responsible ownership.

As for (now Justice) S - life will go on and this was not something unexpected. Given an unlimited budget it could not have been beaten - if you consider the party of the nominating President has a majority position in Congress, thus the confirmation was almost a sure thing and something of formality; much as it is when the tables are reversed for conservatives.

So if you join the NRA, do so for more than one this one recent issue - take a look at the whole of gun use and ownership in our society, ways of generating interest in shooting sports, safety issues and education, etc.

Just my :rolleyes:.

NRA Member...

Guest 3pugguy
Out of all groups, the NRA is the biggest, but most useless, ask Olofson!:rolleyes:

They are happy as long as Duck guns are not outlawed!:screwy:

Why, specifically, is the NRA useless? What is it that you want that they have not provided to you and/or people you know?

Based on your post, I would conclude you nor anyone you know has ever taken an NRA hunter's safety course or made use of the many other informational and promotional acitivities NRA provide.

I clearly disagree the NRA is useless and again, will be interested (seriously) in your take on why and what it is they can do to be better.

Bear with me here. . .

Myself and Bob Keast, a Marina owner, went up against the NMMA (National Marine Manufacturers Association), a major lobby group, three years ago when they tried to talk our state legislators into implementing a costly and useless bill to title boats in Tennessee. As told by the NMMA, this bill would be a benefit to us (the boat owners) because titling boats would lower insurance rates on boats and jet skis, reduce marine loan interest rates, and keep Tennessee from being a dumping ground for stolen boats. It turns out, all of those so called facts were lies and twisted facts. The NMMA only wanted to title boats so they could later buy the information on your boat titles from the State of Tennessee for marketing purposes. Our state lawmakers were eating this misinformation and lies up like it was the truth. If it hadn't have been for someone standing up and refuting this, ALL OF YOU READING THIS MESSAGE would be titling your old flat bottom boats you keep in the shed (no title, no registration issued). Fighting the NMMA on this took several weeks of effort, many phone calls, emails, letters, and more emails. And all this effort was just to keep one bill from making it out of committee to the floor of the House. It took a lot of energy to kill this thing. Why did I mention this?

There are lobbyist out there for the anti-gun agenda that work 24/7 to take every right of gun ownership away from you. They strategize, plan, plot, and connive to convice lawmakers by using misinformation, untruths, media, and emotion. They can get face to face meetings with lawmakers while you're at work.

Having faced the power of one lobby group and realizing the power, influence, and money involved, I greatly appreciate the NRA doing whatever they can to fight on our behalf. I hate lobbyist, yet I support the NRA. I don't have to agree with the NRA on everything, but they are the only effective group out there right now that is watching and fighting. We can't do this alone.

Knowing what I know now about lobbying and politics, I am happy to contribute to the NRA to work on our behalf.

Guest 3pugguy

With due respect (and I mean it), I disagree with your premise that our Constitutional rights are "God given".

I am not advocating compromise as a method of action, but just the premise of where the rights originated - it is a wonderful, without equal document and I view as foundational and bedrock, not evolving; but it was crafted by very smart men, not God.

And again, mean my dissent with due respect to your (what seems to me) very strong beliefs. As one of my old shipmates would say, I will agree to disagree with you on this point regarding origin of rights.

Guest 3pugguy
Bear with me here. . .

Myself and Bob Keast, a Marina owner, went up against the NMMA (National Marine Manufacturers Association), a major lobby group, three years ago when they tried to talk our state legislators into implementing a costly and useless bill to title boats in Tennessee. As told by the NMMA, this bill would be a benefit to us (the boat owners) because titling boats would lower insurance rates on boats and jet skis, reduce marine loan interest rates, and keep Tennessee from being a dumping ground for stolen boats. It turns out, all of those so called facts were lies and twisted facts. The NMMA only wanted to title boats so they could later buy the information on your boat titles from the State of Tennessee for marketing purposes. Our state lawmakers were eating this misinformation and lies up like it was the truth. If it hadn't have been for someone standing up and refuting this, ALL OF YOU READING THIS MESSAGE would be titling your old flat bottom boats you keep in the shed (no title, no registration issued). Fighting the NMMA on this took several weeks of effort, many phone calls, emails, letters, and more emails. And all this effort was just to keep one bill from making it out of committee to the floor of the House. It took a lot of energy to kill this thing. Why did I mention this?

There are lobbyist out there for the anti-gun agenda that work 24/7 to take every right of gun ownership away from you. They strategize, plan, plot, and connive to convice lawmakers by using misinformation, untruths, media, and emotion. They can get face to face meetings with lawmakers while you're at work.

Having faced the power of one lobby group and realizing the power, influence, and money involved, I greatly appreciate the NRA doing whatever they can to fight on our behalf. I hate lobbyist, yet I support the NRA. I don't have to agree with the NRA on everything, but they are the only effective group out there right now that is watching and fighting. We can't do this alone.

Knowing what I know now about lobbying and politics, I am happy to contribute to the NRA to work on our behalf.

Thanks for sharing that real world story;, as it was very instructional and I agree on supporting the NRA in their fulltime efforts.

I'm trying to understand what you're saying, but when I see people make such a statement, I can't help but wonder just how strongly they really feel about not compromising.

I could be way off, but the way I see it is, if you honestly believe these are non-negotiable, God given rights, you surely couldn't bring yourself to follow the laws which were implemented by way of a compromise. That would be an act of compromise in itself.

It's simple really. I will not break the law, but I will fight against NEW laws that restrict my rights. I don't believe in willingly giving up part of my rights to save others. It is a slippery slope. With the notable exception of the assault weapons ban(which the NRA did a very good job on)once rights are gone, they stay gone. Every compromise we make with our freedoms is a little piece of liberty lost.
How many are willing to lose their families, everything they've worked for, their freedom, all because they don't believe in compromise?
When you compromise your God given rights you have already given away some of your freedom.

The reality is that all the gun banners want is compromise. They want a little bit at a time, and what better way to get it than for us to give it away willingly.

I would like to think we have a much smarter crowd here on TGO.
:shake:So I'm dumb huh? Condescend much?
Guest 3pugguy
That's a pretty idiotic statement. The NRA does not exist to save you from prison if you knowingly violate Federal firearms laws. :rolleyes:

As others have stated, the NRA is far from perfect but they are the best, largest and most well equipped lobbying organization in our country fighting to preserve our 2nd Amendment rights. Beyond the political aspects, the NRA works to provide funding to youth firearms education programs, training programs for law enforcement agencies, self-protection programs for women, and other educational programs.

The effectiveness of the NRA drives the Leftists up the wall, perhaps best illustrated in a quote from former Clinton spokesman George Stephanopoulos who said, "Let me make one small vote for the NRA. They're good citizens. They call their Congressmen. They write. They vote. They contribute. And they get what they want over time."

It is my opinion that if a Tennessean can afford to financially support just one pro-2nd Amendment organization annually, it should be the NRA. Not TGO, not the TFA... but the NRA. They do more nationally than any other organization, and are immensely effective at the state and local levels as well.

If you decide to join, fee free to use the link provided at the bottom of every TGO page to do so or just visit NRA and sign up there.

+1

Well stated.

With due respect (and I mean it), I disagree with your premise that our Constitutional rights are "God given".

I am not advocating compromise as a method of action, but just the premise of where the rights originated - it is a wonderful, without equal document and I view as foundational and bedrock, not evolving; but it was crafted by very smart men, not God.

And again, mean my dissent with due respect to your (what seems to me) very strong beliefs. As one of my old shipmates would say, I will agree to disagree with you on this point regarding origin of rights.

I actually agree with you. I would prefer the term "birthrights" myself. Actually, the Bill of Rights were not written by the framers to give us rights, they were written to prevent the government from infringing on rights we had naturally by birth.:rolleyes:

My only criticism of the NRA is that they are not good stewards of our money. They typically run annual deficits which is a travesty. You send them $ and they spend more than that in postage to petition you for more money. What's the point?

I bought a membership for my nephew. It was $25.00. They sent him a multitool and spent $17.00 just on postage(It was on the envelope). Keep the multitool, save the postage and operate in the black for crying out loud.

Edited by tntnixon
Guest 3pugguy
I actually agree with you. I would prefer the term "birthrights" myself. Actually, the Bill of Rights were not written by the framers to give us rights, they were written to prevent the government from infringing on rights we had naturally by birth.:rolleyes:

Concur...thanks! :screwy:

Having lived in foreign countries and visited a bunch, there is NO PLACE on earth like the USA.

• Administrator
My only criticism of the NRA is that they are not good stewards of our money. They typically run annual deficits which is a travesty. You send them $ and they spend more than that in postage to petition you for more money. What's the point?

I bought a membership for my nephew. It was $25.00. They sent him a multitool and spent $17.00 just on postage(It was on the envelope). Keep the multitool, save the postage and operate in the red for crying out loud.

It is my understanding that the postage for much of the items being mailed out is paid for by the companies providing whatever goods or services are being marketed within. Therefore when the "NRA" ships you a packet offering life insurance or some other good or service that might be of interest to a sportsman or shooter, while the NRA logo may appear and it may be an endorsed advertisement, the postage was paid for by the advertiser and not the NRA.

Also, and this is completely my own assumption here, but it is not uncommon for a large organization like the NRA to run at a loss to avoid massive taxation from the government. The same way that you and I might seek tax shelters by wisely "getting rid of income" via completely legal methods per the direction of our investment counselors, etc. Businesses do this all the time.

• Administrator

1,000% true and something people often forget or don't fully grasp to begin with. :D

We recently bought a new TV spending $800. I spent a lot of time reading the reviews that people can add about their purchase. The only benefit of all that I read was that I knew more of what to expect and that the harshest critics would've only been satisfied with the $2,500 model that they did not or could not buy.

It's not a parallel but just a comparison or offering of what a lot of criticisms are and how freely they are offered.

If I could afford it I would support every opposition group out there based solely on principal of smaller government so long as they did not misrepresent me. With the NRA you get more than just opposition - the list is long! Saying that they don't do enough for that free membership or the $25 a year can only be compared to other groups or individual efforts or accomplishments. You'll find like critics who say that they are nothing but big money. There is just simply no rational to either.

On Sotomayor, she was a given. We know the denotation of elections have consequences. The NRA made their statement in opposition to Sotomayor knowing it wouldn't sway the likes of Alexander the same that we sent emails, made phone calls, and voiced our opposition knowing the same. The affect is knowing that I nor the NRA stand by and further separate ourselves form Alexander and those that showed the support of her nomination (and many other issues too). To me that is good and worthwhile. Would I like better? Yes. Is it out there? I haven't seen it. Do I think LaPierre could do better? Yes, but he only deserves constructive criticism as does the NRA as a whole.

To say that you must pay to join the NRA is narrow minded. I'd say that you must be a good steward of your money. There are way too many factors for a simple statement.

----------------------------------------------------

On the the 94 Ban - I give no credit to any for it simply expiring.

It is really odd at the amount of information a person can obtain from a Thread. I have learned a lot about people based on things they have said.

I am a member of the NRA. I signed my wife up last year at a gun show.

The junk mail that they send doesn't bother me. Hell anyones junk mail doesn't bother me. I just simply toss it in the garbage.

One thing the NRA does, that I really appreciate is inform me of Bills that are brought up congress or senate. They keep me informed of everything that is going on, on the political side of Firearms and point me in the direction of who to contact on the issues.

Having a constant voice in DC standing up for my 2nd amendment right, keeping me abreast on issues, and the monthly publications are, in my opinion, well worth the membership fee.