confused hunter(s)

Guest GunTroll

Guest GunTroll

I understand why people aren't flocking to hunting these days. New hunters and new to the area/state hunters alike. Its over regulated. Confusing rules and regs that simply turn people off. Not to mention the cost to get a firearm or weapon, ammo, gear, and then get the required license (FEE) to get out there and harvest game.

I'm new to TN and have been aggressively looking into hunting this upcoming season. I am not new to hunting. Been out there since I was 12. I have hunted SC,GA,MO,CO,and WY. Soon TN will be on the list. I recently started a poll thread on point restrictions. Just today I understood why people opposed it........more state control over an already over controlled sport. I see just to hunt public land one has to get the state license and then a WMA licence and adhere to the regs for the WMA they wish to hunt in addition to the state imposed regs. If this doesn't somewhat deter new hunters with a rule book to hunt perhaps the price will. I also looked into hunting on Ft. Campbell. Talk about rules/regs!

My point is, perhaps to encourage new hunters to pick up the sport the red tape should be eliminated a bit. Its like new hunters need someone to hold their hand and walk them through the BS just to get out in the filed and have fun. It discouraging for me who has hunted before and know what to do after getting in the woods. I can't imagine what a total newb must think trying to figure out what to do just to get out to the woods! Its like to powers to be want people to give up and just buy the miracle meat from the grocery store and forget all about our natural resources. Hunting is being killed off by the government. State and Fed! It will become a lost art if this keeps up.

Rant off!

GT

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. I was very confused on the regs when I first moved here. I paid lower license fees in states that had much bigger deer on average (OH, MD, KY) when I lived there, but no TN state tax makes up for it, IMO.

The Annual Sportsman's license for $136 is by far the best value if you plan to hunt a variety of game on WMA's and apply for the quotas. If you buy the individual licenses, you will pay more.

Edited by Batman

i never even got a license till i turned 16. just hunted on family property and where it was located, game warden was never out there, so it never mattered. we were just humane about it and used common sense.

the reason it is regualted now is because of the poachers and the people who dont use common sense when hunting. also its the ones that go hunting just purely for sport. im not saying hunting just to have food, but people that would go out, kill a deer, then cut its head off to have mounted and drag the rest to a valley and leave it for scavengers to eat, thats uncalled for IMO.

If its on private property, and you dont have a neighborly feud going on or something i say hunt if you are actually hunting and not just killing and be done with it. IMO, YMMV

You want to try it from the perspective of a middle-aged foreign guy!

I've hunted since I was 14 in the UK & as a visitor to the US, Australia, Europe & Africa. However, as a resident, getting my head around all the rules & regs for TN is unbelievably difficult!

I feel like a 14 year old again, having to learn at 35 what most kids already know!

The way the rules are worded, with no obvious explainatons, is mind-boggling.

I still can't figure out when I'm allowed on any of the WMAs! Can I hunt anytime during the relevant season? Am I not allowed to hunt during quota hunts? WTF?????

The sooner as I find a friendly farmer with +/- 200 acres of woodland, the better!

Guest GunTroll

You and me both on the friendly farmer thing. I'll even pay for a lease at this point! I'm not a foreigner but am 30 years old and from out west. I have been told that I talk funny by a TN native. Imagine that! Me talking funny!

You want to try it from the perspective of a middle-aged foreign guy!

I've hunted since I was 14 in the UK & as a visitor to the US, Australia, Europe & Africa. However, as a resident, getting my head around all the rules & regs for TN is unbelievably difficult!

I feel like a 14 year old again, having to learn at 35 what most kids already know!

The way the rules are worded, with no obvious explainatons, is mind-boggling.

I still can't figure out when I'm allowed on any of the WMAs! Can I hunt anytime during the relevant season? Am I not allowed to hunt during quota hunts? WTF?????

The sooner as I find a friendly farmer with +/- 200 acres of woodland, the better!

I called a wildlife officer a couple of times when I first moved here to understand the WMA rules and quota hunts. I'm not sure they understand them either...

Fortunately, the WMA's that I hunt are all listed as "Same as statewide season", so that simplifies things a bit. Plus, getting the Annual Sportsman's license and a Federal Duck Stamp pretty much includes everything. My advice: re-read the particulars of a certain WMA every time you hunt there. This will keep you from forgetting something important. Some are only open on certain days and have unique rules. Each WMA is managed by a different person that can set different rules, from what I understand.

I usually only hunt the WMA's during bow season because I'm allergic to lead :drama:.

Edit:

To answer your question, you can hunt anytime during the relevant season if it says "same as statewide seasons". If it says something like, One hunt- on whatever date then I think that it's only open during that time for the quota hunt.

I usually start scouting when the squirrel season opens (if the WMA allows squirrel hunting) in late August and I have the license to be there. There are some WMA's (like North Cumberland) that are open all year for scouting.

Edited by Batman

I've been hunting WMA's for many many years, and I still don't know the rules! They change every year. Most close to all hunting (in this area) when late duck season opens. That's when the best rabbit hunting is and yet my dogs have to set idle. A bunch of BS. Oh yeah...if you ever need the assistance of a wildlife officer on a WMA...good luck!

I understand the WMA's being managed for waterfowl, and all other hunting ceases when duck season opens. That being the case, the state needs to stop charging a fee for WMA permits, because those of us who do not hunt waterfowl, are not getting our money's worth!

Guest GunTroll
:P < this is how if feel trying to understand TN hunting. I'm sure it will come to me with time and friends being made that can help guide me to desiphering the play book. In the mean time I'll as usaul bumble my way around and figure out how to have fun in the woods. Planning out of state hunts is easier for me at this time and thats sad!
I understand the WMA's being managed for waterfowl, and all other hunting ceases when duck season opens. That being the case, the state needs to stop charging a fee for WMA permits, because those of us who do not hunt waterfowl, are not getting our money's worth!

I agree, you can get gypped in that regard. What stinks is how expensive it is to hunt deer and ducks on a certain WMA. $51 for the WMA Small Game / Waterfowl and $21 WMA Big Game. I guess that's why the Big Game permit is cheaper because you might get to use it less. Still pricey though, I think.

That's why I just go for the $136 Sportsman's license - it includes all that crap. However, I understand that if you just want to hunt deer, the Sportsman's license may not be worth it.

:P < this is how if feel trying to understand TN hunting. I'm sure it will come to me with time and friends being made that can help guide me to desiphering the play book. In the mean time I'll as usaul bumble my way around and figure out how to have fun in the woods. Planning out of state hunts is easier for me at this time and thats sad!

You have several good WMA's close to you and some big deer in that area. Do you bowhunt?

Guest GunTroll
You have several good WMA's close to you and some big deer in that area. Do you bowhunt?

I bet there are with all the farms around here. No I haven't come over to bow hunting yet. Looking for one to get me started. Don't think I'll make it out there this year with one with being short on time to practice but next year I'll give it a go. I lived in the land of long shots till now. I loved my long range big boom sticks out in WY and CO. I now see my short range brush busters will get more use here.

:) < this is how if feel trying to understand TN hunting. I'm sure it will come to me with time and friends being made that can help guide me to desiphering the play book. In the mean time I'll as usaul bumble my way around and figure out how to have fun in the woods. Planning out of state hunts is easier for me at this time and thats sad!

To hunt deer on a WMA with a gun there are two ways to get licensed:

1. Hunt & Fish Combo Type 001 ($28) + Annual Big Game Gun Type 009 ($28) + WMA Nonquota Big Game Tpe 094 ($21). If you went this route, and say you wanted to hunt during muzzleloader season. You would have to add Annual Muzzleloder Big Game Type 011 ($28), etc. or...
  2. Annual Sportsman Type 004 ($136). This would be cost effective if you plan to hunt multiple specicies, use different types of weapons and apply for quota hunts. It's all inclusive except for the Federal Duck Stamp.

Some WMA's, such as 205 - Beaver Dam Creek in hickman Co. (Region II), allow big game hunting during the statewide seasons. You would have all the permits required to hunt deer during the statewide gun season in a WMA like that with the options listed above.

Tennessee is going to get their money! Yes, I bow hunt. The part that bothers me is the WMA part. I live 2 miles from a WMA. It's out during the late duck season. A really good area I know for some big deer, is out for the late duck season. I don't know what the biologists are thinking when then make up the rules. I'm almost to the point to where I'm not going to buy a WMA permit anymore. One WMA we hunt, we have a bunch of "non-hunters" (peta ?) chases after us on 4-wheelers. I'm real close to "ruining" an ATV. Several complaints to TWRA have gone unanswered. Not sure it's worth the money to hunt. There is however alot of nice deer there.

Tennessee is going to get their money! Yes, I bow hunt. The part that bothers me is the WMA part. I live 2 miles from a WMA. It's out during the late duck season. A really good area I know for some big deer, is out for the late duck season. I don't know what the biologists are thinking when then make up the rules. I'm almost to the point to where I'm not going to buy a WMA permit anymore. One WMA we hunt, we have a bunch of "non-hunters" (peta ?) chases after us on 4-wheelers. I'm real close to "ruining" an ATV. Several complaints to TWRA have gone unanswered. Not sure it's worth the money to hunt. There is however alot of nice deer there.

That same thing frustrates me too. I duck hunt, but I deer hunt more. I have two WMA's close to me that close during th late duck season. One of them I can understand because it's pretty much a small island. I enjoy going there during the duck season. The other one has some fine deer habitat, and I don't know why it closes. A couple of years ago, I had just found a great spot for deer on this WMA right before it closed for the late duck season. That was frustrating when I realized that.

As far as the PETA lovin' ATV's, that's ridiculous and illegal. That's not right that TWRA has not responded to hunter harassment. I'd keep calling until you get someone that will listen and address that problem. Otherwise, maybe try a couple of pre-planned ATV booby traps and a video camera - that would be great on YouTube! ;) Are there any alternative entrances to the WMA? Maybe you could get in there without the ATV guys knowing it...

I have video, and I even know where a couple of them live. I've done more work in finding these morons than TWRA has. I complained to TWRA several times last year and already this year. Seems they are not interested in my videos or anything else. Sure wished I was a game warden again!!! Does anyone really think I want to buy a WMA permit just to be harrassed? I think NOT!

That's not right. It sounds like you've done everything to make their job easier. Harassing legal hunters is against the law. Did you take it all the way to the Nashville office? That's a shame for you to loose something you enjoy because of that. If they are doing it to you, they are probably doing that to others as well.

I don't know what else you could do other than feel threatened and call 911 while they are chasing you - get the cops involved and press charges. It would probably just be easier (and safer) to try a different WMA.

Hunting public land has frustrated me all my life and in every state I have lived in. I have been trying to lease some property in TN for about 2 years, but I can't even find any to lease since Bowater stopped that program.

I am not sure if WMA's are considered public lands. It has been my opinion that most of them are leased from a private party.

There are public hunting lands that are open to the public, and these do not require the WMA permits. Some of them do have a user fee, but most of them do not, other than the required hunting license. TWRA does apply the statewide rules to these lands and will enforce them.

Guest Mugster
:poop: < this is how if feel trying to understand TN hunting. I'm sure it will come to me with time and friends being made that can help guide me to desiphering the play book. In the mean time I'll as usaul bumble my way around and figure out how to have fun in the woods. Planning out of state hunts is easier for me at this time and thats sad!

I grew up here and feel the same way. It used to be a great place when we had local game wardens that were county agents. We don't have any agriculture anymore to speak of...and the TWRA took over some moons ago. Its a big mess, and getting worse, imo.

A big reason no one hunts is LAWYERS.

I have many family members that own farms.

They don't allow people to hunt it on fear they will be sued for some thing going wrong.

Here is a TRUE story.

My Uncle in Va. was sued for having to large of a fence post.

It was claimed that no cattle could break or jump a fence post that large.

Apparently a car couldn't break it also....

Guy crashed in to the fence post, and try to sue for the price of car, and expenses.

It got thrown out of court, but it cost money to show up, hire a lawyer, and contest it.

Honestly, I can't blame them.

And going to a WMA is like taking a gamble on your life.

If it moves, it's fair game in those places.....Scares the crap out of me.

Some of those people have no business with a firearm.