The Colony

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SUNTZU

I've watched parts of different episodes. This is a good show for what not to do. Highly skilled people survive yet no one has a firearm? Also the goofy fighting off of marauders is ridiculous. Didn't care for the show and haven't watched any since. YMMV.

I've watched parts of different episodes. This is a good show for what not to do. Highly skilled people survive yet no one has a firearm? Also the goofy fighting off of marauders is ridiculous. Didn't care for the show and haven't watched any since. YMMV.

I agree. The one episode I watched had the "marauders" attacking, and the "traders" coming to trade things. I thought the trades was a little off balanced.

The absence of firearms in a TEOTWAWKI situation is a little silly.

Guest SMZRU275

I saw the end of the first episode and thought it was OK.

I can see the "no firearms" being part of the survival if thing go as planned by B.O.

The show really doesn't truly depict the mindset of people trying to survive in an apocalyptic world. All the mental and emotional strain inflicted by an event like that isn't there in the show.

I would also say that in a TEOTWAKI situation, some of the non stop whiners would have met their end before day one was done.

I agree.

I know in this situation I would not surround myself with people who bring nothing to the table. Really odd the "types" of people that they threw together, but I am thinking they are putting it together as a bunch of liberals trying to survive.

I agree.

I know in this situation I would not surround myself with people who bring nothing to the table. Really odd the "types" of people that they threw together, but I am thinking they are putting it together as a bunch of liberals trying to survive.

How are they going to survive without the government to tell them what's best for them? :cool:

I hate it. I watched a couple episodes and just despise it. I know everyone is trying to cash in on the 2012 BS, but this show is like Monster Garage: Mad Max.

I'll just wait for The Road to come out, for a book and a movie there are some GREAT survival ideas in there.

Guest coldblackwind

I watched all 4 episodes online today (I was at work, and there is no work until the semester starts, thus vast amounts of free time). The first episode seemed good...after that it kinda went downhill. I'll probably watch the next one just because I've invested 4 episodes worth of time into it, but I dunno as I'll make it to the end. I mean, all the things you could build, and they build a friggin shower right off the bat?

Funny that the Colony has no firearms, but everyone they run into seems to. They had a traveling merchant pull up in one episode that had a M2 mounted on the back of flatbed truck. The merchant had a sidearm on.

And one of the other "merchants" had an AK.

I can't imagine going into that situation having zero firearms.

Guest coldblackwind
The only thing that was worthwhile on this show was how to make "wood gas". That's a nice little tidbit I'll keep stored in the back of my mind.

Also showed you a simple way to filter water, dunno how well it actually works, haven't looked it up, but if it does, that was kind of a useful tidbit, and simple to pull off.

Guest SUNTZU

If there is a compound like this one that doesn't have any guns and people have food and are trying to make flamethrowers and bombs, I'm raiding the bitch...just on general principles. :)

Also showed you a simple way to filter water, dunno how well it actually works, haven't looked it up, but if it does, that was kind of a useful tidbit, and simple to pull off.

It does work, I googled it. It will work using standard charcoal, but having activated charcoal (carbon, something or other) would be best.

In a "survival" type situation, they are spending WAY too much time worrying about things like electricity, showers, workout room, etc.

While guns would be a nice thing to have, they are not a necessity. Being smart is, and not too many of them are thinking of "survival" but rather "I want it to be like it was before, TV, workout, do nothing but live off the .gov"

I wonder how long those generators will work running on that wood gas? I mean that gas is nasty, filled with tar and other impurities that are going to muck up the internals of those engines.

Oh, and I just love it how they always seem to have just the right tools and supplies to make what they want.

I'll prolly watch it for some of the laughter, an occasional tidbit of useful information, but it has fast become just another "reality" show.

Guest coldblackwind
It does work, I googled it. It will work using standard charcoal, but having activated charcoal (carbon, something or other) would be best.

In a "survival" type situation, they are spending WAY too much time worrying about things like electricity, showers, workout room, etc.

While guns would be a nice thing to have, they are not a necessity. Being smart is, and not too many of them are thinking of "survival" but rather "I want it to be like it was before, TV, workout, do nothing but live off the .gov"

I wonder how long those generators will work running on that wood gas? I mean that gas is nasty, filled with tar and other impurities that are going to muck up the internals of those engines.

Oh, and I just love it how they always seem to have just the right tools and supplies to make what they want.

I'll prolly watch it for some of the laughter, an occasional tidbit of useful information, but it has fast become just another "reality" show.

I was impressed how when they lost power ALL work stopped. Funny that people have completely forgotten the use of simple hand tools. Also seems to me, I would have been doing a whole lot more of going out and looking for useful items, rather than just going strictly with what I had in the compound, and only going out when the food was almost gone. Always great when you have NO idea whats around you. Then again, come an apocolypse, I wouldn't get myself stuck in the middle of a city either.

Guest smittyb

Europeans used wood gassifiers a lot in WWII. I know a guy that has been working on one for some time now. I never knew you could do it as simply as they did and get it to actually work though.

I don't know which episode I watched first, but it wasn't the first two.

Monday my DVR recorded the episodes in order, and last night I watched the first two, and could not quit shaking my head.

The amount of time they spent "creating electricity" was ridicolus. Having electricity is not a neccessatiy. From Hooking the batteries up, to making a workable generator, to making wood gas to run said generator, to charge said batteries, to charge power tool batteries, and have lights, IMHO was a waste of time.

I totally agree with memphismason.

And last night :screwy: "boy I wish I had some solar panels" "well now that you mention it I did see some..."

They just "happen" to have all the necessary tools (all provided by Harbor Freight BTW) to do everything they want.

I thought I heard either the announcer or one of the cast members say that with the solar panels they would have enough electricity to run the welder, is that even possible?

Oh, and Mike (the handyman guy that so damned annoying), I'll just turn down the RPMs on the generator to save gas, now why is this not working???? Yeah, my gas generator runs at 3600 rpm, just like any other gas genny, diesel will run 1800 rpm usually. I may be wrong here, if I am I'll admit it, but the show is so full of crap, it stinks.

Oh, and did anybody else think the "sparring" match was rigged? Sorry but if this was real life, that guy would have owned her!

I totally agree with memphismason.

And last night :screwy: "boy I wish I had some solar panels" "well now that you mention it I did see some..."

They just "happen" to have all the necessary tools (all provided by Harbor Freight BTW) to do everything they want.

I thought I heard either the announcer or one of the cast members say that with the solar panels they would have enough electricity to run the welder, is that even possible?

Oh, and Mike (the handyman guy that so damned annoying), I'll just turn down the RPMs on the generator to save gas, now why is this not working???? Yeah, my gas generator runs at 3600 rpm, just like any other gas genny, diesel will run 1800 rpm usually. I may be wrong here, if I am I'll admit it, but the show is so full of crap, it stinks.

Oh, and did anybody else think the "sparring" match was rigged? Sorry but if this was real life, that guy would have owned her!

I haven't watched last nights episode yet. I will watch it tonight, and I can't wait to laugh some more.

It is funny that I know I will stick with the show until the end, and still talk bad about every episode. LOL