Opinions of Springfield M1A

Almond27

Hi, I recently put a Springfield M1A standard model in layaway at a local shop. I called Springfield and they told me the rifle was manufactured in Sept 1989 so that would make the rifle a preban? It has a walnut stock, would this rifle have any USGI parts or new manufactured? Thanks for any tips opinions info about these rifles.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

post or pre ban should not matter with M1A's,(post ban usually meant no bayonet lug-you know for all those drive by stabbings) and it should be irrellevent since there is no ban now. The rifle would be made of new parts not USGI, unless the previous owner did something. (don't see why however) They are good tough rifles, and are fun to shoot.

Hi, I recently put a Springfield M1A standard model in layaway at a local shop. I called Springfield and they told me the rifle was manufactured in Sept 1989 so that would make the rifle a preban? It has a walnut stock, would this rifle have any USGI parts or new manufactured? Thanks for any tips opinions info about these rifles.

Sounds like a preban to me.. :popcorn:

My M1A was built in 1988 and is most all USGI parts if not all GI parts.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/show-tell/22958-gonna-fun-one.html

I really like the M1A. I think that you will be happy witht he one that you have on layaway...if not sell t to me cheap :D

M-14 Firing Line Public Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Is a great site for the M1A.

Post pics when you get it home.

post or pre ban should not matter with M1A's,(post ban usually meant no bayonet lug-you know for all those drive by stabbings) and it should be irrellevent since there is no ban now. The rifle would be made of new parts not USGI, unless the previous owner did something. (don't see why however) They are good tough rifles, and are fun to shoot.

Not true. SAI used USGI parts until they ran out of stock. Seems like they ran out in the mid 90's. Before they ran out of GI parts even the standards came with GI parts. The SAI receivers are cast and not forged like some other M1A/M14S.

The reciver is the only thing that is not USGI on many M1A's of that vintage.

M-14 Firing Line Public Forum

Pinmaster is correct in that the only thing on your rifle that would not be "Governement Issue" should be the receiver and probably the barrel. That being said, I acquired my M1A, Match Grade, in 1977. All parts, except the receiver, barrel and the bolt were G.I.. Springfield sent out an recall notice on all rifles without G.I. bolts and indicated that they should be returned for replacement with G.I. bolts.

I had already had mine "rebuilt" by the TN NG AMU and the bolt was the first thing to go. I spoke with a representative at S.A., agreed to sign a waiver of liability, sent their "original" bolt back and received a new TRW bolt. I kept it for years and had already acquired a back up for replacement purposes.

The web sites posted for informational purposes are great and will tell you everything you need to know.

After my rifle was "rebuilt" and correctly bedded by the AMU, I leaped from the marksman class to expert in four matches. I received my sharpshooter and expert card in the same envelope. That rifle took me to the master class and still shoots moa. The barrel was replaced with a Douglas "heavy" match barrel and shoots great.

you will love that rifle. i would also throw in a +1 for M14TFL.com i spend as much time there as any other site.

as a side note, how do you get in touch with the TNNG AMU? they still do that sort of thing? i am also trying to ask around to some of the shooters in Group at Ft. campbell. the civilain SRT sharpshooter has a M1A NM that he shoots regularly.