Free Hunting Day

Remember folks, Saturday the 22nd is Tennessee's free hunting day. It is also the opening day of the squirrel season. No license is needed by any Tennessee resident. This is a great opportunity to introduce a friend or family member to hunting. Most WMA's that allow small game hunting will require no WMA permit as per the TWRA hunting guide. More info can be found in the guide.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not a lease. Leasing is pretty difficult unless you have a large group waving large amounts of money in some land owners face. Hunting clubs have most of the land around here. Your best bet, truthfully, if you are military, is to hunt Fort Campbell. When bow season opens in Tennessee, gun season (shotgun,M/L) opens on post. Best deal going in this area. I've been wanting to lease land for many years here, but fell into 167 acres that I currently hunt.

Edited by wd-40

I am all for the Free Hunting Day. It is a great way to introduce someone to the world of hunting......but I do have a problem with the time picked. August 22, really. The majority of the squirrel will most likely still have "wolves", and even if they don't the weather is still a factor.

I would like to see it a little later in the season.

I agree 100% with what you said. I have never seen a wolve on a squirrel. I had one on a rabbit taken the day after Thanksgiving, and I had one crawl out of a bucks nose while getting my picture made with him. Freaked me out like there was no tomorrow! I think they pick that date as a safety factor for the youth and young at heart out learning to hunt. I have come across a few folks in the past with bows and/or guns out hunting, that should not be permitted in the woods armed. And I'm talking about the so called "experienced" hunter. So maybe it is better to get a jump on it! Just wish it was cooler though.

Guest TnDeerHunter

cjr how did the deer lease property turn out last year for you? Just to stay on tread I agree about taking a squirrel in this hot weather but hadn't thought about the safety factor for young hunters, good point

So just so I understand this completely cause I am a 'tard...You can just hunt squirrel right?

Squirrel and Crow are the only things open the 22nd....except for the year round seasons for, Armadillo, beaver, coyote, English Sparrow, groundhog, nutria, pigeon, starling, and striped skunk.

Edited by memphismason

So, who all made it out squirrel hunting? I made it out and it was nice to get back out hunting again. Got one "nut muncher" with my flintlock. So, this morning it was fried squirrel, fried potatoes, sausage gravy, buttermilk biscuits, 2 eggs over easy, sliced red tomato and a pickled cayene pepper. It was AWESOME stuff!

So, who all made it out squirrel hunting? I made it out and it was nice to get back out hunting again. Got one "nut muncher" with my flintlock. So, this morning it was fried squirrel, fried potatoes, sausage gravy, buttermilk biscuits, 2 eggs over easy, sliced red tomato and a pickled cayene pepper. It was AWESOME stuff!

:P

Guest clutepc

I went out and saw a few but a little far with the bow, I was mainly hoping for a shot at one of the coyotes I didn't shoot during turkey season...lol

Took my 13 year old son squirrel hunting, his first hunt! He got a tree rat, a boar. We had a great time. Great weather, good friends, and his first kill. He got blood on his hands, and wiped it on his pants. Badge of honor. He is so cool now. Also, from the tick thread, we used Permonone (sp). worked great. No bites of any kind.

Guest walkingdeadman
Took my 13 year old son squirrel hunting, his first hunt! He got a tree rat, a boar. We had a great time. Great weather, good friends, and his first kill. He got blood on his hands, and wiped it on his pants. Badge of honor. He is so cool now. Also, from the tick thread, we used Permonone (sp). worked great. No bites of any kind.

awesome...

Squirrel 'wolves'? Call me a n00b, but I've never heard that term before.. you talking about parasites?

It's a parasite, Bot Fly larve. They burrow under the skin and grow creates a lump. They come out and burrow into the ground to hatch. Doesn't damage the flesh. Chances are if you take a squirrel, it's had a wolf or two anyway.

Guest clutepc
It's odd hearing folks hunting squirrel with bows. I used to years ago. I scared the hair off a few, but never got one.

I figure it's worth a try, I just started hunting this past Turkey season and haven't hunted with a gun yet, I'm trying the whole year with just the bow..

I shaved a Turkey but that's about it so far.

Might not be much meat in the freezer this year but I've enjoy everyday in the woods learning....LOL

I have a feeling Deer season will be a tough one, I have a lot to learn but I think that's why I enjoy hunting so much...

• 1 month later...

I'm like some of the rest of you. I just can't seem to get in the hunting mode until we've had a frost or two! I'm talking about squirrel, rabbit, and deer. And as pointed out here, there are possibly what we used to call "sound" shooters. These so-called hunters would shoot at sound in the bushes, without identifying what was making the sound.I've been hunting and shooting since my early teens, with a lot of "no hunting" years since then, and have to admit it concerns me! We didn't have the the large numbers of people in the woods back then...50s and 60s.

Why do they call it common sense, when it's so uncommon? TN Sen. Fred Thompson