22lr Handgun

Guest kevinf5

Depending on what you want to do go with pistol in the 300.00+/- range. Best bet are: S&W 22A, Buckmark or Ruger MKIII/II.

For pleasure for the $ go SW 22A. For reliability and versatility go Buckmark. For tinkering go Ruger MK series.

Single and Double Action .22s are great, especially old S&W 17s, but I would shy away from aluminum cylinder 617s. Ruger Single Six and H&Rs are nice for trapline guns and the like but loading 6 isn't as much fun as having 5-10 10 rd mags loaded and ready to go at the range.

For pure fun and some varmint/pest control shooting get a semi auto.

If you want to have the best bang for the buck get a Ruger MKII and hand fit an adjustable Marvel trigger, install a Volquartsen sear and gently polish all internal friction points. Anyone with patience can do it.

Stay away from Sig Mosquito! Walther P22 is a nice little plinker but is not in the same class as the aforementioned SW22, Ruger MK, and Buckmark.

Of course if you have a CZ 75 get a Cadet upper. If you shoot Glocks an Advantage Arms conversion might interest you but they aren't that great to shoot. They work but in my fairly extensive experience with them I would rather shoot a dedicated semi-auto .22. If you have a 1911 or might get one then the Marvel conversions would make sense. Sig makes a quality conversion also.

S&W 41, Benellis, Pardinis and the like, although nice shooting pistols the point of diminishing returns is often self-evident unless you are a dedicated disciplined marksman.

Craig

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kevinf5

Well thanks for all the info and help. I ended up getting a good deal on a Ruger Mark III 22/45 5.5 inch blued today at the gun show. Will be at the range tomorrow trying it out.

Well thanks for all the info and help. I ended up getting a good deal on a Ruger Mark III 22/45 5.5 inch blued today at the gun show. Will be at the range tomorrow trying it out.

Congratulations. That's a very nice gun. You'll probably get a lot of enjoyment out of shooting it. It's very accurate and on top of that, cheap to shoot.

Enjoy!

Guest peacemaker

Kevin,

I have a Buckmark with four or five misfires in over a thousand. This has become my favorite squirrel gun. If your really wanting one to build accuracy hunting with it is a great way to hone reflexes as well.

Aim small miss small. Shooting squirrels in the body and ruining the meat is a bad shot. Know your limitations and you'll see yourself improve in instinctive situations with every encounter.

Guest Funnyrunner

I have a Ruger 22/45 MkIII and love it. Just put a red dot scope on it and it's one of the best 22's Ive ever had. It is a bugger to clean tho.

I have a Ruger 22/45 MkIII and love it. Just put a red dot scope on it and it's one of the best 22's Ive ever had. It is a bugger to clean tho.

True that. You Tube's got some good vids on takedown. GunTalk has good instructions. You will have to get a vinyl head hammer to beat it with. Seriously.

I bought a Kimber .22 slide, like to change it out and shoot it almost as much as the .45..

Is that the same as a Ciener unit? I'm thinking about getting a .22 slide, but I keep hearing that they're a headache and not worth it if you've already got a decent .22, which I do.