custom pistol for carry

nightrunner

I see all the time, even professional operators, carrying full-blown custom 1911s for defensive purposes, many as civilians as every day concealed carry. Yet, when someone mentions modifying a Glock or XD or similar beyond sights they cry about liability issues etc.

So what is the difference between a single action 1911 with a 3.5-4lb. trigger and everything tighter than god knows what, and a Glock or XD or any other production pistol for that matter, with say a 4.5-5lb. trigger and upgraded internal parts?

Just curious as I would love to have a custom XD to use for concealed carry, but dont want my weapon of choice or its modfications done by a professional pistolsmith (Robar) to come into question were I forced to use it.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest icehead

Perception is reality when it comes to Public opinion vs Gun Owners and Perceived rights by criminals vs Victims. For the average Joe have a "Custom Glock or XD with 15 or more rounds gives the perception that you are willing to kill "15" to "17" people no matter what the situation may be. Having a Firearm that only has 5-8 rounds says to those same people."He is not loaded up for WAR, he just trying to protect himself". This may be bullcrap, just my opinion that i have taken from my uneducated co-workers. I would never carry my Kimber Custom shop CDP II 3 inch to much for fear that I may have to use it one day and never get it back...LOL!!

In my mind, nothing. If you are worried about liability issues, then you should stick to base models. If your worried about survival, then get what you are the most comfortable with.

Personally, my comfort level is quite low, as is my wallet. I'm very comfortable with my Colt Agent .38 if I feel the need to carry. If I feel I need something bigger for where I am going, I don't really need to be there. :)

I want an XD-45 simply because it fits my hand like it was made for it. I have tried a 1911 and while it feels good in the hand, its not "perfect". And I really like the 13+1 or 10+1 .45acp capacity, depending on model. Heck if I knew without a doubt it made a difference, I would use Cali-spec mags.

I see all the time, even professional operators, carrying full-blown custom 1911s for defensive purposes, many as civilians as every day concealed carry. Yet, when someone mentions modifying a Glock or XD or similar beyond sights they cry about liability issues etc.

So what is the difference between a single action 1911 with a 3.5-4lb. trigger and everything tighter than god knows what, and a Glock or XD or any other production pistol for that matter, with say a 4.5-5lb. trigger and upgraded internal parts?

the only time i ever hear of professionals or operators carrying 1911's it's only in stories in gun rags or in the movies... in the real world, if they are carrying 1911's, they're also carrying a BUG. while awesome and accurate, custom 1911's with their tight tolerances also tend to be high maintenance and less than everyday reliable... most pro's i know of tend to stick to choices that are a little more boring, and importantly, more utilitarian... glock's, xds, m&p's.

as for the modified vs. stock argument when it comes to carry pistols, seems there are plenty of shooters out there that tend to believe more of what they've "heard" than what's out there in facts, and thus a lot of paranoia.

the fact of the matter is that any, and all shootings will be under intense scrutiny as the details are laid out before a judge and jury.

the main thing will always be the legality or justification surrounding the circumstances the shooting occurred under, and that will dictate what details are important or not in the case.

for instance, if a BG was running at your child, 10ft away from them, covered in blood, wielding a machete after just murdering somebody, and you shot him down, doubt the fact that your glock had a 3.5lb connector in it or not would really matter or probably even come up... (excluding the civil suit that is...)

now if that BG was across a parking lot and there may have been another option other than pulling that trigger, the lighter connector could turn out to hurt you and a clever lawyer might make you seem trigger-happy in a jury's eyes...

from what i've read, i say carry whatever you are comfortable, safe, and most accurate with, BUT don't use it unless you are 110% justified, if you are even slightly unsure, you shouldn't fire your weapon, period.

if you are within the law, if brought to light as a point of contention, a mod that makes you more accurate could possibly be counter-argued as a positive, responsible choice, since you may argue that it was done to help you to reduce the chance of injuring bystanders, etc.... - if there's any reason or any doubt that you may not be 100% on the side of the law in a shooting... you're toast, and the mods will no doubt only make things worse...

i carry a glock 17+1 w/ a 3.5lb connector + heavier trigger spring (='s a lighter slop free pull around 4-4.5lbs)... AND i also carry my lawyers card...

Edited by CK1

Just curious as I would love to have a custom XD to use for concealed carry, but dont want my weapon of choice or its modfications done by a professional pistolsmith (Robar) to come into question were I forced to use it.

I don't think there is a thing wrong with improving a trigger on a glock, xd, etc... The improvements, if done by someone who knows what they are doing, are well worth it and reliability will not be an issue.

For me, I can't get the performance out of a glock or xd trigger (even when they are totally tricked out) than I can a 1911/2011 trigger. And I'm sure that is why the overwhelming majority of shooters that shoot in the top two division in IPSC shoot only the 1911/2011 platform as well.

the only time i ever hear of professionals or operators carrying 1911's it's only in stories in gun rags or in the movies... in the real world, if they are carrying 1911's, they're also carrying a BUG. while awesome and accurate, custom 1911's with their tight tolerances also tend to be high maintenance and less than everyday reliable... most pro's i know of tend to stick to choices that are a little more boring, and importantly, more utilitarian... glock's, xds, m&p's.

the fact of the matter is that any, and all shootings will be under intense scrutiny as the details are laid out before a judge and jury.

What a sweeping generalization. Also untrue. I can guarantee you this, more people in this country carry 1911 pistols as their sole gun on them, than carry either and XD or an M&P. Glocks may give them a run for their money. In fact the vast vast majority of 'pros' I know, truly highly trained firearms experts, carry Glocks and 1911's. There are the odd others who carry something different. I'm taking out LEO's in this instance who have no choice in their weapon of carry.

And these people have just as much faith, and justifiably so, in their 1911 as do Glock, XD or revolver carriers.

I can guarantee you this, more people in this country carry 1911 pistols as their sole gun on them, than carry either and XD or an M&P. Glocks may give them a run for their money.

hmm, sweeping generalizations...

I can guarantee you this, I carry and really like 1911's.

there, fixed it for ya!:P

Guest mikedwood

I agree with carry what you are most comfortable with. I prefer a G26 with Gold Dot 124's myself. But that's because I am very comfortable with the G26.

Honestly I'm afraid to jazz up my carry gun, but it hasn't failed to fire once out of about 2,000 rounds, neither has my G19 with about the same round count. I see no reason to mess with them. They are certainly have a decent trigger feel and are combat accurate out of the box.

I like the fact that the Glock has no external saftey. I don't have to worry. Is the saftey on when it should be off? Is the saftey off when it should be on? Pretty much the only way to get it to fire is pull the trigger or point it at your butt.

hmm, sweeping generalizations...

there, fixed it for ya!:P

Well I happen to pretty much know how many Glocks, XD's and M&P's have been sold and generally how many 1911 have been sold in the last say 30 years. I also know from personal experience of the people I come across. So mine is not a generalization. However your statement of the fact that 1911 carriers are something only found in magazines and those in real life carry a 'bug' is simply based on something you pulled from......

As to your second point, do I carry 1911? Yep sometimes. Do I carry a bug? Nope, not very often and it never pertains to what I happen to be carrying but to where I might be going. I also carry any one of three Glocks, which all have the same trigger weight as my 1911. And in say the last 5 years my primary carry gun has been an HK P7M8, again with the same trigger pull as the others. So that makes me one of those oddities I spoke of in my last post.

You might need a bit more exposure to 'pros and operators' around the country dare say the world they travel,before you pontificate on the facts and fallacies of the habits of those who carry, especially the 'pros' and 'operators'.

You might need a bit more exposure to 'pros and operators' around the country dare say the world they travel,before you pontificate on the facts and fallacies of the habits of those who carry, especially the 'pros' and 'operators'.

listen, you don't know a single thing about me... you don't know how many pros or operators i've been around, know, or don't know.

i've filled 4 passports... i've seen plenty.

next time, if you can control yourself, why not refrain when you feel like posting negative comments... this is supposed to be an enjoyable forum, it's not necessary to take on the tone of a condescending jerk when you disagree with someone else's views, in real life, nor on the internet.

i paid my rent for quite some time working overseas amongst these pros and operators you naively claim i know nothing about... i stand by what i said.:stare:

Well i am by no means a PRO, but I carry a custom 1911 with no BUG, I also have 3 Glocks, my 1911 was custom built to my specifications to be my perfect carry gun, very expensive and worth every cent, I have put a few thousand rounds down its pipe with zero malfunctions, I trust mine and my families lives with it. I also trust my Glocks, I just prefer to carry my 1911 and always will :stare:

I think it is important to note that trigger jobs for glocks, xds, m&ps and the like are all trying to achieve what the 1911 does naturally. What they are trying to do with varied success is:

1. reduce the pre-travel

2. make a clean break

3. reduce over-travel

4. Reduce re-set distance.

5. And reduce weight. (this is the least important particularly once you have reached 3.5-4.5 lbs.)

This is why the 1911 will endure and be used by the most talented shooters on the planet by a huge majority. They get it.

listen, you don't know a single thing about me... you don't know how many pros or operators i've been around, know, or don't know.

i've filled 4 passports... i've seen plenty.

next time, if you can control yourself, why not refrain when you feel like posting negative comments... this is supposed to be an enjoyable forum, it's not necessary to take on the tone of a condescending jerk when you disagree with someone else's views, in real life, nor on the internet.

i paid my rent for quite some time working overseas amongst these pros and operators you naively claim i know nothing about... i stand by what i said.:up:

Hey, you were the one who started making generalizations. I simply pointed out the fallacies of it. You don't like that apparently and accused me of the same. You based your opinions on a limited scope or were simply trying to make it seem as though you knew something others did not, calling the mags full of crap. I am not the one who was condescending, you were. Do I think some mag stories are crappy yes, just as many internet gun board surfers are full of crap.

I am knowledgeable enough to know there are many guns out there the 'pros' use and that I have never had one, not one single one say they carried a bug because they carry a 1911. If they carry one, it is based on the fact that they are in situations which lend them to believe they may need more than one firearm. Most of these people in fact carry 2 guns of the same or similar make-up in my experience, ie 2 1911's, 2 Glocks, 2 Sigs, HK's or any number of other things. For many others the pistol itself could be considered a bug as the primary weapon is an MP5 or other such short sub.

I have read enough of your political comments to know you like to be contrarian and easily offend. I have no desire to offend anyone. I simply said you made a generalization which I disagreed with based on fact. The fact that you attacked back indicated that you were shooting at the hip. If that is not the case, then I will surmise you made a point based on possibly a wide, though not deep, level of experience. I do not need to know you to disagree with you and I was not condescending and I never said let's compare bona fides, I am not going there. I offer advice when I think it is pertinent or knowledge I think might contribute, and sometimes ask others their advice on guns or gear I have less experience with.

This should be a fun place, I have no desire to see it otherwise. However, when you make a comment that is sweeping and could deter someone from a gun which they would possibly like to own based on erroneous information from you then I responded that your information lacked full knowledge. I stand by that. Have a good day.