Kel Tec P3AT and my long fingers

Guest lan2i

I currently have a Kel Tec P3AT. I bought it used at a gun showfor $305 out the door with the box, manual, case, and gun. I love the size of the gun. It disappears in my pocket. But my problem is I have EXTREMELY long fingers and have often been laughed at by my father as E.T.(the movie) fingers. It seems my fingers and hands are simply to large for this gun. Another beef i have is the sight, I understand it is made for up close and personal but I also invested in the Crimson trace laser for this gun and still cant hit *****. So all in all I have invested $465 dollars in a gun that I can barely shoot even with the laser sight.

My question is, would I be beter suited with a S&W airweight or something? and am i gona be able to find someone to trade an airweight for my p3AT with crimson trace? Is that a good trade for me? Or does any one else have another pocket pistol suggestion for extremely long fingers?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eyebedam

It'll be hard to find someone to trade you a J-frame for the kel-tec even with the laser.

You could split them up & sell them it may be easier that way.

I would suggest looking at the J-frame or a ruger LCR. If you wanna stay with a auto look at the glock 26 or 27. Still on the smaller size but should be better suited for your fingers.

I know there have been countless threads on the subject and most say it doesnt work. any opinions on how a g26/27 does for pocket carry, i mean is it manageable?

Guest eyebedam
I know there have been countless threads on the subject and most say it doesnt work. any opinions on how a g26/27 does for pocket carry, i mean is it manageable?

Kinda depends on how big you are--you're pockets-- & a good pocket holster would be a key factor. I think the company name is aholster.com. I believe there kydex pocket holster would probably work the best for a larger picket carry gun.

So what exactly was the problem with the P3AT? Were you unable to get a firm grip? Or was it the lousy trigger? Bad sights alone? Or combination of all 3?

J-Frames are quite accurate, but the DAO trigger isn't as easy to master as, say, the SAO trigger on the P238. My own experience with the 238 has soured me on them forever, but I cannot deny that they're easy to shoot well. SAO light trigger with light recoil and probably enough real estate for your long fingers to get a grip. On the larger side of pocket carriable guns, but definitely easier to pocket carry than a G26.

You might be on to something. The only guns I have owned were both sigs DA/SA 229 and 239. Is it possible i just need more practice with this DAO weapon? But gees, who can afford to practice with the scarcity of .380 ammo? When you do find it it is priced like there is gold inside.(its at an all time high you know, cash 4 gold dawg) Maybe more practice is necassary. Im shooting low groups, might that be caused by my trigger squeeze anticipating the bite of this snappy little gun?

BTW I would love to have a p238 to add to the sigs but im afraid i couldnt afford one even after selling the p3at

I didn't know that the trigger on the P3AT was that bad--I was pleasantly suprised by it. In fact, a friend and I shot our P3ATs at IDPA targets at 35 yards one day and suprised ourselves. If only it wasn't a .380...

As for the Glock subcompacts, I have a 27 and think it's the greatest carry gun ever made (but that's just me). HOWEVER, +1 on what someone above said--depends on your build and pants if it will work for pocket carry. I'm 5'10/190, and the 27 in my pocket makes everybody think I'm REALLY glad to see them, if you know what I mean :D

I didn't know that the trigger on the P3AT was that bad--I was pleasantly suprised by it. In fact, a friend and I shot our P3ATs at IDPA targets at 35 yards one day and suprised ourselves. If only it wasn't a .380...

As for the Glock subcompacts, I have a 27 and think it's the greatest carry gun ever made (but that's just me). HOWEVER, +1 on what someone above said--depends on your build and pants if it will work for pocket carry. I'm 5'10/190, and the 27 in my pocket makes everybody think I'm REALLY glad to see them, if you know what I mean :no1:

I'LL second the motion for a G27,I am a recent convert,thats what I carry daily,I also have a XD45C thats great also.The G27 hides really nice and the weight is very manageable.I have medium size hands and the grip seems a little large for me but for your hands it may be better.

• 1 month later...

I agree with what Deerslayer is saying above. One of my carry weapons is a Glock 26, and it's a pocket full... especially if you're wearing jeans. I'm about six feet and 200+ and it's also pretty heavy for the front pocket. I also have a Kel-Tec P-11 that I pocket carry, in jeans, all the time. I only carry it in my front pocket. Actually, the P-11 is quite comfortable as a front pocket carry gun, and looks natural if you have your hands in your pockets.

Why do they call it common sense, when it's so uncommon? TN Sen. Fred Thompson