Guest redbarron06

Guest redbarron06

Video: Guns-In-Parks Ban Could Be Brief

Parks' Firearms Ban May Be Short-Lived

Lawmakers To Attempt To Allow Guns In All Parks

Reported By Cara Kumari

POSTED: 3:42 pm CDT August 31, 2009

UPDATED: 5:28 pm CDT August 31, 2009

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Monday at midnight, a controversial state law2.gif will take effect: Guns will be allowed in local parks.

video.gifVideo: Guns-In-Parks Ban Could Be Brief

Many communities, though, chose to opt out of the new state law and continue to ban firearms, but that might not last for long.

Douglas Donley and Kellie Miller enjoyed a beautiful day Monday in Percy Warner Park. They said they don't need a gun to feel safe; the buddy system works just fine for them. 60685776068577

"I'm glad that they are banning the guns in parks," said Donley. "I don't know why anybody would need to carry one."

The ban on firearms will still be in effect at Percy Warner and other Metro parks. But starting at midnight, permit holders will be allowed to carry firearms in parks that chose not to opt of the state law.

Mt. Juliet, Fairview, Columbia and Gallatin are just a few places that will allow them. But in places like Nashville and Murfreesboro, the ban may be short-lived.

"Ultimately, it's going to be for the Legislature to open up the local parks as a matter of state law. That way, there's a uniform statewide policy that's consistent with the state parks and the federal parks," said John Harris, executive director of the Tennessee Firearms Association.

State lawmakers will try to allow guns in all parks next session.

The Tennessee Firearms Association said the opt-out has done more harm than good.

"A lot of the legislators that I've talked to feel like the local governments2.gif have caused more problems than they should have in terms of confusion for permit holders and others," Harris said.

At Percy Warner, Channel 4 couldn't find a single person who wanted to see guns in parks. They said they feel there are other ways to protect yourself.

"Walk with a couple friends," said Miller. "Take a self-defense class."

Well lets hope we get parks state wide.

Parks' Firearms Ban May Be Short-Lived - Nashville News Story - WSMV Nashville

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay. I just cannot believe how STUPID people are in this country. I mean, really? Walk with more friends? That way ALL of you can be robbed at the same time? Take a self-defense class? Last time I checked it wasn't that easy to take down a guy with a knife or a gun. In fact, those people who say HCP's don't have enough training obviously don't realize it's easier self-defense if you've got a gun than just your bare hands. If I don't have my gun, and the BG has a knife or a gun, they are going to get whatever I have. That's it. If I've got a gun, then we've got a fair match going on.

Gad. What happen to this country?

Matthew

Guest CrazyLincoln

Thanks for the article.

Positive news. I hope they are able to change the law. However, I'm not too fond of this article's attempts to "balance" it.

At Percy Warner, Channel 4 couldn't find a single person who wanted to see guns in parks.

I'm sure they scoured the park for people with a differing viewpoint.

I did. They said don't bring a knife to a gun fight. :P

While I have absolutely no problem with people taking a self-defense class, taking a single class and expecting have the reflexes to disarm or neutralize an attacker is ludicrous. I would rather train regularly with equal or greater force than I expect to encounter. But maybe that's just me.

"I'm glad that they are banning the guns in parks," said Donley. "I don't know why anybody would need to carry one."

I hate comments like this. It's like saying, "I've never had a fire in my house, so stores shouldn't seel fire extinguishers" or "I've never had an accident, so I don't know why manufacturers install seat belts".

Just because you are too naieve or dense to understand why I might want to carry one, doesn't make it a truth

Guest HexHead

I did. They said don't bring a knife to a gun fight. :up:

While I have absolutely no problem with people taking a self-defense class, taking a single class and expecting have the reflexes to disarm or neutralize an attacker is ludicrous. I would rather train regularly with equal or greater force than I expect to encounter. But maybe that's just me.

That white or yellow belt is only going to get your ass kicked. It takes years of martial arts training before you're going to be competent enough to defend yourself in a real world confrontation.

That white or yellow belt is only going to get your ass kicked. It takes years of martial arts training before you're going to be competent enough to defend yourself in a real world confrontation.

So very true.

When I got my black belt figured out that all it really meant was I had the basics down fairly well and now could start learning things that would really help... :up:

Guest D.B. Cooper
I don't know where they find these folks to interview, but they sure get the dumbest of the dumb....:up:

It's kinda like finding people to interview when there's a fire at the trailer park.

Guest crotalus01

I DID take a self-defenSe class - called HCP class. Idiot...

you got me OngoingFreedom...I type fast and dont use spellchrck.

Edited by crotalus01

I thought it meant I just had to shoot you from a greater distance.