Advice for EDC g19 or g26

Guest FiddleDog

Guest FiddleDog

Having just recently gotten my HCP, I am still getting used to carrying and am facing my first quandry as a licensed carrier. I presently have a g19 as my primary firearm, and find it a little difficult to conceal. I carry IWB at around the 4-5 position with a Galco 2nd Amendment Holster. Granted, I don't really dress around the weapon, but don't want to have "carrying uniform" if you catch my drift. I'm thinking about picking up a g26 for easier concealment, but have run across a number opinions that it's only negligibly more concealable than the g19. I've gotten to carry one for a short time, and it seemed a bit easier to conceal, but now that I'm at the crossroads of getting another weapon, I want to make sure that it will 'fill the need' before I spend $500. I just wanted to get your thoughts on the matter. I'm not married to the idea of a Glock, but it was the first thing to come to mind.

Any help is appreciated.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a slim guy (6ft, 140-ish) and I carry a G26 in a Crossbreed Supertuck at about 5 o'clock and it works really well for me with out much change in what I wear. I will say that I cannot tuck a shirt in over it without looking kinda funny just because of the extra thickness in my back at my waistband.

I've never had the 19 to compare to though so i'm not sure what kind of improvement that might be.

FWIW I own Glock 19 and G26. I ♥ both guns and think both make great carry pieces but the G26 is just a bit too small, I have average sized mitts but I have a little bit of a problem getting the G26 out of my IWB holster.

Just my 2 cents ymmv.

I would suggest you try out the G26 before you buy one.

ahhh, your problem is one I struggle with often... would a smaller/different glock be easier to conceal? think the answer would be the yet to exist, often rumered to appear, yet still mythical, glock single-stack (that may come out when hell freezes over)!

I've had every glock size... find the thickness is the real issue (I've setteled on carrying a full size most of the time since it's the glock that fits my hand best), and so far, sometimes us glockers are SOL IMO and just have to carry something else.

I've had a walther PPS that was problematic and now I have a keltec PF9 which is ok but has a crummy trigger and is on the flimsy side but either are thin and slim enough for times when the good ol' glock won't do.

I've been thinking of giving the PPS another try since it's been improved since the early one I had and a Kahr is another option (I personally don't like the Kahrs as they are as expensive as the PPS yet have a trigger like the PF9...).

Long story short, if you like your 19, keep it and carry it when it works, fine choice as an EDC (26 won't really be much better)... for times when it's too much to conceal glock as of yet has forced us to look elsewhere... good luck!

Edited by CK1
Guest HexHead
ahhh, your problem is one I struggle with often... would a smaller/different glock be easier to conceal? think the answer would be the yet to exist, often rumered to appear, yet still mythical, glock single-stack (that may come out when hell freezes over)!

G36, single stack .45. It's out there.

G36, single stack .45. It's out there.

I know... Just as thick as any other glock... I was referring to the thinner single-stack 9mm fantasy that has been rumoured for years...

Edited by CK1
Guest FiddleDog

yes...but then I'd probably get all flustered by capacity. If only magazines were like in John Woo movies...you know...infinite ammunition until the story line dictates it. But then we'd all be stuck with 92s.

Actually, the Ruger SR9 is a 1911-slim double stack 9mm, 17+1. It fills the niche very nicely!

I liked thr SR9's I had (and FYI, ghost will have lighter connectors out for the SR9 sometime this month which is a very good thing)... but they're close enough to a glock in size that I'd just rather a glock...

Fiddle, I agree on the capacity point, spare mag or 3 is a must w/ the thin single-stack 9's... but hey, their thin too!

Could look at it this way, there's always a compromise somewhere, depends on what you want, for example: almost bought an EMP they other day except, an EMP holds only 10 and weighs the same or more than my 17+1 G17 while only slightly easier to hide, that 1911-style trigger isn't worth those 8rds and glock reliability (JMHO)... A PPS or PF9 is about as hard to hide as an iPhone, but each holds 8 and extra mags weigh next to nothing... but importantly, no one knows you got 'em since the thinness makes them disappear.

Guess if you really need to hide your piece, gotta get those John woo movies out of your head and order extra mags (how come those 92's always work better than bunch I've shot???)!

Edited by CK1
Guest 3pugguy
Having just recently gotten my HCP, I am still getting used to carrying and am facing my first quandry as a licensed carrier. I presently have a g19 as my primary firearm, and find it a little difficult to conceal. I carry IWB at around the 4-5 position with a Galco 2nd Amendment Holster. Granted, I don't really dress around the weapon, but don't want to have "carrying uniform" if you catch my drift. I'm thinking about picking up a g26 for easier concealment, but have run across a number opinions that it's only negligibly more concealable than the g19. I've gotten to carry one for a short time, and it seemed a bit easier to conceal, but now that I'm at the crossroads of getting another weapon, I want to make sure that it will 'fill the need' before I spend $500. I just wanted to get your thoughts on the matter. I'm not married to the idea of a Glock, but it was the first thing to come to mind.

Any help is appreciated.

You could either try a different holster or if set on IWB, look at a Kahr for something slim and concealable.

I stuck w/G19, as the G26 is not that much more concealable. But, I carry OWB 99% of the time.

Guest FiddleDog

I wish some place would let me rent a g26 for a week so I can see how it carries. I've shot a 26 before, and its a really intuitive little pistol. It just points the way I like to point. I'm 6 feet tall and 170lbs and I pretty much wear 501s and a white Haynes T-shirt every day when I'm not a work. In the winter, I don't think that the g19 will be difficult to carry at all. Part of me is thinking that I should just suck it up and get used to the g19 and not worry about it...but I also just want to pick up another pistol, too. Anyone have any suggestions on holsters for a g19?

Guest 3pugguy
I wish some place would let me rent a g26 for a week so I can see how it carries. I've shot a 26 before, and its a really intuitive little pistol. It just points the way I like to point. I'm 6 feet tall and 170lbs and I pretty much wear 501s and a white Haynes T-shirt every day when I'm not a work. In the winter, I don't think that the g19 will be difficult to carry at all. Part of me is thinking that I should just suck it up and get used to the g19 and not worry about it...but I also just want to pick up another pistol, too. Anyone have any suggestions on holsters for a g19?

I use a Serpa for my G19 OWB - paddle option. It carries nice and tight against my body and has a great retention set up (and you adjust it, when you get the holster).

Guns and Leather has G26 you can rent to shoot there on premise, but don't know about a longer term rental. Maybe someone on here has one and you could do some type of "swap" for a week (with suitable precautions taken by each party, of course).

And my opinion is the G19 is easy to carry OWB in summer - only change I made is to wear a regular shirt, not a polo, untucked. Bought some of the square tail, so it doesn't look sloppy. And a patterned shirt. Heck, with so many folks carrying gadgets - phones, etc - I would bet a hundred bucks no one would even think anything if they got a glimpse of the holster.

Most likely, they would not notice an open carry; a few times I have come across guys in Clarksville open carrying and only notice, cause I look pretty closely at people (cause I 'm nosey, LOL).

Edited by 3pugguy
add sumthin'

Finding the right holster is harder than finding the right gun!

I don't have to worry about tucking in a shirt (if I do it's a suit which means a jacket...), so I like the blade-tech nano (really thin kydex... Thin secure/safe fast light and comfy, but the best thing is it isn't bulky at all), seems guys who gotta tuck like their m-tacs and supertuck's (kinda a lot of leather/stuff in your pants for me)...

I mostly am jeans and t-shirt too, and I hide a full size glock most of the time just fine... I just carry the thinner single-stack when I have to.

A 19 is probably one of the best EDC's out there for 90% of the time, the other 10% of the time is where it gets tricky...

I carried a G19 and went to a G26 for better concealability for the spring/summer/fall seasons. Smaller is better when wearing shorts and t-shirt or like "light" attire. Camping or hiking or doing yard work, my G26 in it's CompTac IWB is the most comfortable thing I've carried to date. The G19 is a little bulky and prints easier when in shorts and t-shirt but I have no issues carrying a full sized 1911 in the winter since I have more bulky cloths to conceal it better.

Long story short, if you like Glocks and you like the 9mm caliber, get both. One for winter which can be easier to handle in gloves (G19) and one for the rest of the year (G26).......:P

It's the only way to go.....more guns = :D <- you

Guest mikedwood

I have a G19 and a G26. Ever since I got the G26 I carry it about 95% of the time.

The G26 is much easier for me to conceal and it shoots every bit as good as the G19 I think.

If you don't like the grip, cause it is a bit short. Try the mag extensions. That's the biggest arguement I hear about the G26 with or without mag extensions.

Edited by mikedwood
Looks like it's a go on the G26. I was thinking of mag grip extentions. GAP extentions look interesting. Anyone have any experience with these?

Yes, had them on my 26, they help mitigate the short grip somewhat, but still won't be much different then hiding a 19 IMO... good luck though, maybe that 1/2" less will do more for you than it did for me!

Edited by CK1

I carry my Glock 27 in a Crossbreed Supertuck when I need deep cover, I am 5:11, 170

I carry it in the 4pm location

I have a CrossBreed belt with Velcro on the back side

and I use the Supertuck clips that attach to the Velcro on the belt,

That leaves about 2.5" to 3" between the gun( going down beside holster) and the belt where I tuck my shirt in, no way you can tell I have it & I where dress shirts with no problem

Also I have a Supertuck for my 5'' XDM 40 and it carrys the same way, Love that holster,

And NO! I have no connection to the company;)

:D Click on tag below

Gun Belt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sba22lojGbw&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.crossbreedholsters.com%2FGunBelts%2Ftabid%2F58%2FCategoryID%2F3%2FList%2F0%2FLevel%2F1%2Fproductid%2F3%2FDefault.aspx%3FSortField%3DProductName&feature=player_embedded#t=25

Edited by trigem
Looks like it's a go on the G26. I was thinking of mag grip extentions. GAP extentions look interesting. Anyone have any experience with these?

Go ahead and purchase the mag extenders, the pinky extenders or the GAP extenders. Try them out. It won't hurt anything.

I purchased pinky and mag extenders and figured out, under "stress", attempting to insert a G19 mag with the extender was harder than inserting a G19 mag without it. I also figured out that shooting it at the range showed no difference with or without one. So I learned no mag extensions needed as they caused more issues for me than without them.

The pinky extensions ended up the same way after time.

Matter of fact, I sold all my "extender" stuff to Mikedwood (i think?) for dirt, dirt, dirt cheap. I think he got 4 mag extenders and 2 pinky extenders for $20.....I just had no use for them. I can fire my G26, change mags (using the 26 mag) and stay in the fight just as easily as I can with my G19 setup. Even using a G19 mag as a back up, doing mag swaps is simple and you never notice the change in grip (if you're understress) till afterwords.

Final words......purchase the G26 then a G19 or vise versa....you'll be :cool: