• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SureShot308

Yes, because it is registered as an SBR you aren't required to have a short barrel on it. But if you have more than 1 AR and only 1 of them is SBR then you can only have 1 SBR upper in your possession.

Yes, because it is registered as an SBR you aren't required to have a short barrel on it. But if you have more than 1 AR and only 1 of them is SBR then you can only have 1 SBR upper in your possession.

You sure about that? I thought you could own multiple SBR uppers as long as you have one registered lower receiver?

Edited by willis68
Guest SureShot308

I'm not 100% sure on that. I was told that it fell into the constructive intent category because you could possibly make multiple SBR's at a time with only 1 SBR registered lower.

I know that if you only have one lower and it is SBR then you can have as many uppers as you want to. I'll have to double check on that one.

• 1 month later...
Guest Gun Trust Lawyer- David G

Actually the ATF requires that you remove the items from the NFA status if you put a longer barrel on it unless it is also a SBR. You might reference this article

ATF Form 1 (5320.1)for SBR/SBS with multiple barrel lengths - NFA Gun Trust Lawyer Blog

• 2 weeks later...
Guest moreland281

So you can't have multiple uppers (SBR) for 1 SBR'ed Lower?

i have a 6933 on order and i'm looking at getting a SBR 9mm and 22lr upper for it as well......

Hummm..... Any ATF ruling on paper about this (for either way)

If Not I"ll write the Tech Branch and ask for an answer on paper and post it here (for anyone else to use as a reference if needed)

Guest Verbal Kint

Easy solution... SBR items in one safe/location... regular firearms in the other. Do not mix and match the two "sets". Do not pass go. Do not collect $500. :)

Honestly, if people in your household have access to your weapons... the SBR needs to be locked away where only you have access to it, anyway. Unless there's a Trust involved, which is a whole different story in itself. So just lock the NFA items up, separately, and call it a day.

Guest bwhited

Too lazy to look it up and find the letter but ATF says that you can place a non NFA barrel length or shorter NFA length as long as you keep the orginial config that is on the Form 4 or 1. They also say that they "appreciate" notification of the lengths that you attend to use...so you can send them a letter with your serial # and copy of your form telling them all the lengths you attend to use and you should be fine.

Guest Gun Trust Lawyer- David G

You have to deal with both state and federal laws on this issue. While you can have multiple barrel lengths on an SBR under the NFA, you cannot use a non NFA barrel IE a full length as this would take the firearm outside the purview of the NFA and switching it back and forth would cause problems.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mac_05evo
Too lazy to look it up and find the letter but ATF says that you can place a non NFA barrel length or shorter NFA length as long as you keep the orginial config that is on the Form 4 or 1. They also say that they "appreciate" notification of the lengths that you attend to use...so you can send them a letter with your serial # and copy of your form telling them all the lengths you attend to use and you should be fine.

^^ This.

As long as you can take the gun back to the original description on your Form 1 you are fine.

• 4 weeks later...
What about calibers, if the lowers says Multi on Form 1 do i put Multi or 5.56

I would be more specific and actually write in any caliber that you might use on the lower. Ex. 9mm,6.8,.22, 5.56. You could probably get by with multi but I wouldnt take the chance of having it sent back and then having to start the wait all over again.

Guest bwhited
What about calibers, if the lowers says Multi on Form 1 do i put Multi or 5.56

Starting this year the NFA stopped accepting Multi and several calibers being listed under caliber. You must now specify one caliber and list any additional calibers you want to use under the additional description part on your Form 1. Not sure why they started doing this but there ya have it....