What did the Clunker program save the US Taxpayer?

herr.baer

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm reading that correctly then the clunker program will have paid for itself in three and a half years. Everything after that is gravy. An ROI of 3 years isn't bad, actually.

Umm, it won't be saving the taxpayers ANY money, the ROI is zero. The return of capital is infinite. The money was pissed away to show the IIC (idiot in charge) was doing "something" to help.

What did the Clunker program save the US Taxpayer?

In the long term nothing.

The question we need to ask is

"What will the Clunker program end up costing the US taxpayer?"

The Clunker program was a drop in the bucket!!!

We give more each year in handouts to Israel for foreign aid, what does that SAVE the U.S taxpayer?

The money was already allocated in the stimulus anyway. I'm glad we had a credit for working Americans rather than the typical money going to welfare handouts, foreign aid, pointless wars, etc.

We give more each year in handouts to Israel for foreign aid, what does that SAVE the U.S taxpayer?

The money was already allocated in the stimulus anyway. I'm glad we had a credit for working Americans rather than the typical money going to welfare handouts, foreign aid, pointless wars, etc.

It's clear you oppose support of Israel, but you DO realize Israel is the closest thing we have to a strong hold in the middle east, right?

If you don't see that as a tactical advantage, I don't know what to tell you. :D

Some very good points. I don't agree all of them, but ANY waste of money the government takes from us is, well I am sure you get the point.

Now for cash for clunkers, to those Americans working or non-workings who purchased a car because of this program, congrats. I hope you enjoy your new ride. And for those who could not pay for their new ride in full, I hope you can make the payments for the time you had to finance it for.

As for the rest of us who cannot afford a new car, what does this program mean. Well for one thing there are 700,000 fewer used cars out there to purchase. On that point the next time I go to buy a car, you think the price may be a little higher because the supply is less?

And how about all you who are into repairing what you have. This program has to be one of the most wasteful programs I have seen in my lifetime. Taking good, running automobiles and destroying them by putting a salutation in them that locks up the engine and transmission. WHY. How much have these parts gone up?

But you say look at how it helped the auto dealers and the car manufactures. Yes they got a short term boost. As far as the car dealers go, if it didn't create a cash flow problem for them, and they get their money from us, the taxpayer, most will say it was beneficial. The manufactures called a few people back to work.

But the long term benefit, how many cars will be sold between now and the end of the year? From what I read, many of the "cash for clunker" buyers would have purchased a car sometime this year anyway. So net benefit 0.

As for "The money was already allocated in the stimulus anyway" what you are saying is we are going to waste this money anyway, so why not this way. The stimulus, or pork plan will go down as a big waste of money that, in the end accomplished nothing but wasting our money.

So in the end what did "What did cash for clunkers save the US Taxpayer? Nothing It will end up costing us! Just like every other half ass program the government comes up with.