What kind of medical kit do you use?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in Iraq, the medical team had quick clots, powder that you sprinkle on the wounds to stop bleeding. I need to order some of those, and the new issued tourniquet, the kind that you can apply with one hand.

If you are going to order some you might look into the QuikClot ACS which is the sponge like I have. From what I have read the powder get extremly hot which can cause burns. The ACS only gets around 105 degrees F. I keep one in my range bag and one in my first aid kit in my truck.

Kerlix and 6 inch ACE wraps with the velcro closure.

Kerlix can be used as the whole roll for a pressure dressing, or stuffed into wound. Ace wraps are used in pressure dressings, wrapping sprains, or splinting fractures.

Get rid of the QuikClot. Too much damage vs. good. Use HemCon dressings if you can get them.

A good tourniquet or two. The SOFT-T is a great one. One handed use, and no velcro that becomes ineffective when blood and dirt gets into it. Can also be used to tie down equipment.

Nasopharyngeal airway, gotta keep 'em breathing.

Roll of 3in paper tape, or duct tape wrapped around a playing card.

Trauma shears to expose the wound or injured area. Also handy when you just need a pair of scissors.

My general rule of thumb is that everything must serve at least two purposes before I will consider carrying it. With the exception on airway equipment. Weight is speed, and speed is life.

US Army Combat Medic and Combat Medic Instructor.

QuikClot just causes far too many problems. Especially since almost no one is trained in the proper procedures.

The Army pulled it from the stockage lists about a year ago, now we use HemCon dressings. No burn.

Oh and I forgot, an occlusive dressing for chest wounds, to help prevent or maintain a collapsed lung. I prefer the Hyfin chest seal from the guys over at NARescue.com.

In the old days before they had all the hi speed bandages we use ladies sanitary

napkins (That's right the old school version) they come sterilized and individually packed and make great pressure/bulky dressings.

I still carry them in my M5 bag.

Don't forget to learn BLS. Basic life support. A great source of info is the Special Operations Medical Handbook 2008.

Guest redbarron06

One warning about the hemcon. They are made from shellfish so stay away from that if you have allergies to shrimp, lobster ect.

BTW the army still uses quickclot for certain things.

Guest Traumaslave
Kerlix and 6 inch ACE wraps with the velcro closure.

Kerlix can be used as the whole roll for a pressure dressing, or stuffed into wound. Ace wraps are used in pressure dressings, wrapping sprains, or splinting fractures.

Get rid of the QuikClot. Too much damage vs. good. Use HemCon dressings if you can get them.

A good tourniquet or two. The SOFT-T is a great one. One handed use, and no velcro that becomes ineffective when blood and dirt gets into it. Can also be used to tie down equipment.

Nasopharyngeal airway, gotta keep 'em breathing.

Roll of 3in paper tape, or duct tape wrapped around a playing card.

Trauma shears to expose the wound or injured area. Also handy when you just need a pair of scissors.

Good stuff here. This is about all that the lay person will be able to use and enough for the someone who is trained. I know guys who carry packs worth a couple hundred $$$ but, when it comes down to it couldn't and wouldn't use 90% of what they have. Do I know what I'm talking about?? Look @ my name.:screwy:

Guest Traumaslave

Oh and I forgot, an occlusive dressing for chest wounds, to help prevent or maintain a collapsed lung. I prefer the Hyfin chest seal from the guys over at NARescue.com.

In the SHTF type traumatic wound, is GSW or stab wound, simple Vasoline gauze will work for this. But, you will need a needle (large bore like 18,16, or 14 gauge) to decompress. There is no prevention of a collapsed lung and once it is down there really is no "maintainance". It's kinda like being a little bit pregnant. It is either down from the wound or not. The only question is the percentage of collapse and then whether or not it is bad enough to go to a tension (pushing vital organs to the other side).

I know guys who carry packs worth a couple hundred $$$ but, when it comes down to it couldn't and wouldn't use 90% of what they have. Do I know what I'm talking about?? Look @ my name.:D

I always enjoy when you post concerning medical treatment and gear. One because you pretty much speak in lay man's terms so it's easy to understand... two because you bring out the practicality of gear vs. knowledge when you post.

And third... in this case... that line "Look @ my name.:tough:" seriously cracked me up! LOL!!!

The best advice I can give is to get all the training you can. Simple kits are the best, many times your shirt and pressure will do a better job than a fancy kit. Like some have suggested, taking a CPR course is the absolute minimum. Holding pressure on a wound would seem to come natural to a person, but it does not. Most people I see that are shot or stabbed don't think to hold pressure. I have rarely seen bleeding that is not partially stopped by firm pressure.

Guest redbarron06
Ok next question where can one go to get some training? Besides CPR and basic first aid whats out there? I know TR offers two medical classes but I'm not to big on giving them my money.

There is a guy named Brian Fox that teaches up to Wilderness First Responder, along with many other first aid classes. He is right here in TN but I would start with American Red Cross with basic first aid, Rescue breathing and CPR.

Fox Kits - Outdoor Wilderness & Tactical Survival Training School

Guest Traumaslave
I always enjoy when you post concerning medical treatment and gear. One because you pretty much speak in lay man's terms so it's easy to understand... two because you bring out the practicality of gear vs. knowledge when you post.

And third... in this case... that line "Look @ my name.:tough:" seriously cracked me up! LOL!!!

Just doin what I can.:rolleyes: