Well how did you do?

Guest Jcochran88

Guest clutepc

out again this morning in an area I scouted during the summer, saw plenty of deer then, nothing today..

I did run across these Turkey tracks, some of the biggest I've ever seen.

I'd probably pass on a deer for a shot at him,

f69a62e3.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest walkingdeadman

Went out Sat morning. Got set up around 6 30. By 7 we seen a big mama feeding in the field, she was fun to watch but to far away for a shot. So along came 7 30 and another doe came out on us, but apparently winded us and started blowing like hell. Ended up setting two other doe off, as they went to blowing too. She stood around checking us out for a good twenty minutes while still stomping at us. Pretty neat to watch.

As for Sunday, rainy and cold. I didn't stay till about 8.Didnt see a damn thing. Gotta pregnant wife and a warm bed that was calling my name.

Timing. Timing is everything. I got the perfect shot at a doe Saturday evening about 30 minutes before sundown. Got stood up, she turned broadside to me. Probably 17 yards, if that much. Coming to full draw she heard the rustle of me pulling and the arrow coming back across the whisker biscuit and looked right at me. I aimed a little above the boiler room as the shot was going to be downward at about 40 degrees and let loose. Heard the thwonk as the arrow buried itself in the ground behind her and off she went. She slowed and turned to look back about 50 yards out then slowly walked out of sight. That's where they usually keel over and I climb down and go get em!

I gave it about 5 minutes as light was fading and climbed down. Arrow was not covered in bubbly blood denoting a lung shot but it was red in spots and had fur under the blades. I walked over to where she had stopped and looked back and got a definite but smaller than normal blood spot that turned into a trail. Followed it about 400 yards where she back tracked around towards where she had come into view which was down hill and along the boundary between our place and paper companies land. The only word for everything to the left was THICK. Well the light faded out to where I could not see blood anymore. Trail was still headed down hill and I could easily get back to this spot in the morning. Cool night, no problem right? Well the rains came early this morning in Wayne Co.! Needless to say, no trail left. I went all the way down into the bottom and looked everywhere in the rain but couldn't find her. She obviously made a walk of over 800 to 1000 yards so maybe I got her low and she will be fine. If she didn't make it, I'll never know. Hate that crap. I have never had one even get out of sight bow hunting. I even got to see her get her picture taken by my trail camera just before I shot. At least I'll have her picture.

Guest Bronker
Timing. Timing is everything. I got the perfect shot at a doe Saturday evening about 30 minutes before sundown. Got stood up, she turned broadside to me. Probably 17 yards, if that much. Coming to full draw she heard the rustle of me pulling and the arrow coming back across the whisker biscuit and looked right at me. I aimed a little above the boiler room as the shot was going to be downward at about 40 degrees and let loose. Heard the thwonk as the arrow buried itself in the ground behind her and off she went. She slowed and turned to look back about 50 yards out then slowly walked out of sight. That's where they usually keel over and I climb down and go get em!

I gave it about 5 minutes as light was fading and climbed down. Arrow was not covered in bubbly blood denoting a lung shot but it was red in spots and had fur under the blades. I walked over to where she had stopped and looked back and got a definite but smaller than normal blood spot that turned into a trail. Followed it about 400 yards where she back tracked around towards where she had come into view which was down hill and along the boundary between our place and paper companies land. The only word for everything to the left was THICK. Well the light faded out to where I could not see blood anymore. Trail was still headed down hill and I could easily get back to this spot in the morning. Cool night, no problem right? Well the rains came early this morning in Wayne Co.! Needless to say, no trail left. I went all the way down into the bottom and looked everywhere in the rain but couldn't find her. She obviously made a walk of over 800 to 1000 yards so maybe I got her low and she will be fine. If she didn't make it, I'll never know. Hate that crap. I have never had one even get out of sight bow hunting. I even got to see her get her picture taken by my trail camera just before I shot. At least I'll have her picture.

Really? It rains in Wayne Co.??

Hmmpf. Who knew!?

Were you in the ladder stand?

Hopefully me and / or McFlurry will have a kill story from Oklahoma soon. We're almost there as we speak. Rolling into Tulsa...

Guest clutepc

I know that is one feeling I hope I can skip for a while and my thinking about it I know made me second guess a shot I was about to take a few days ago.

I hear it happens to everyone at some point and I'm sure it stinks when it does.

You gave it your best effort to find her though so you know you at least tried to find her.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TnDeerHunter

Shot a buck last week had a short track to find him but all went well, I let my hunting buddie hunt out of my stand friday evening and he shot a doe we tracked till dark and lost blood figured we would pick it up sat. morning what we didn't count on was rain and sleet and a real good offering of fog. We tried to find blood but no luck. We lost blood when she turned downhill, we made circles for 3 and 1/2 hours still no luck. I would rather flub a shot than to hit one and not find it.

Guest clutepc

To everyone who answered all my goofy questions through Turkey season and helped me so far through Deer season..

This one is for you..

My first Harvest ever hunting, and did it with my Bow.

Now, I'm hooked..lol

Heavier that I thought, heck of a time getting him out of the woods..

Tried something completely different today, didn't call at all and went higher in the tree..

At 8:00 I looked down and there was a 5 Point Buck at 10 yards.

I got a great shot on him and he only went roughly 30 yards.

Saw him go down easy recovery.. I couldn't have asked for more..!!

Yea my garage is a wreck trying to make room for the deer..lol

S5002674-1.jpg

Guest Jcochran88
It's always a good day when you get to plan a meal around your hunting!

Yep fresh tenderloin with gravy and biscuits this morning was awsome!!!:(