Well how did you do?

Guest Jcochran88

Guest Jcochran88

For all of those that braved the rain, How did opening morning go?

For me I seen 5 does as I made my way to my stand. That was it stayed in the woods till about 8:30or so then called it a morning.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wayne County was having torrential downpours. It was raining hard at midnight. Harder at 0200. Harder still at 0400. Thunder, lightning, etc.

Never left the cabin. Came home about 0700. Ridiculous.

I did almost run over three does on my way home...does that count?

Guest walkingdeadman

I made my way to the stand around 6:15. Didn't see anything for about 2 hours. Then all hope was lost when my idiot uncle drove his truck up next to the wood line to load some stuff up. So I packed it in and made my out of the woods to the gravel road where I parked. On the way out, I spotted 2 doe and 2 fawns, they also seen me. So I ducked down in a ditch and got the best position I could to get a shot. Turned out I had a great shot, just one to many twigs in between me and her. Decided to hold off till tomorrow. Maybe I will have better luck then. Not much rain, just a small shower. It was a little hot for me though, I was sweatin' like a whore in church by the time I got in my stand and settled in. Hope you all had better luck than me!

I went out about 7:30 after thinking it wouldn't last much longer.. it stopped at 1pm.

Feel like a drowned rat, stayed all day after doing that, didn't see anything though.

Back at it tomorrow,

Well atleast it was cool and not raining this morning. I did have button buck visit with me for about an hour this morning. He must have eaten 10 pounds of acorns. They were falling everywhere and one hit him right in the head. I almost laughed out loud at his reaction.

Wind was blowing my scent into the thicket and I had a doe blow at me around 8:30. I never saw her, just heard her telling every deer in the woods that a stinking human was about.

Guest walkingdeadman

I went back out this morning around 6. Seeing that I only had three of the four sides of my blind open, I quickly found out that I was being stalked by four doe and 4 fawn. They hung around for about 20 - 35 minutes smelling ang trying to figure out what the hell was going on. Slowly but surely they all trickled away out of distance. The closest shot I had was 45 yards, but once again I was stuck behind tons of limbs(which will be trimmed this week). So I waited for about 20 more minutes and hit a grunt call just to see what I could mix up and that sent a spike flying through the woods at me. So I spent the last hour of my hunt watching him eat acorns and watch me. I will save him for a later date. All in all I consider it a good day. Only my second day to hunt and I have already seen a bunch...

got soaked saturday morning but had an umbrella over my stand. didn't see anything all day in my stand....driving up the hill to get to camp and there was a pack of 4 does...they watched me while i found my range finder...52 yards....still watching...i loaded an arrow stepped out of the truck and let it go.....BAM my first deer with a bow and was at 52 yards! it ran 30 yards and died in the woods. i was pretty glad...well worth the getting wet all day in the stand!

We hunted from daylight to dark except at lunch time, when we met at the truck and I fired off a pot of squirrel and dumplings on the camp stove. No deer were seen, but about 30 minutes before dark, I stuck a pure black feral hog that dressed out at about 200lb. What a shock when he showed up about 15 yards from my stand! We had no clue hogs were even in this part of the state! So, there ya have it.

WD (Dave)

We'd never seen any in Stewart county either. Never even heard of any being here. It was quit a surprise! Just found out a few minutes ago, that the area we were hunting has a good population of hogs. Well, deer are now on the back burner!

Guest Jcochran88

Well went this afternoon, all I seen was three trespassers that walked within three feet of a posted sign. So needless to say I got there names and ran them off they claimed that they where trailing a deer that they had shot a few minutes earlier but I was in my stand for about 2 hours before they came through and no deer came through there. So after running them off I went to a ground blind and was overrun by squirrels. On the way back to the truck I almost got 2 yearlings with the ranger. Hopefully next weekend will be more entertaining.

Edited by Jcochran88
spelling

Congratulations on the Hog wd-40 and the 52 yard shot on the doe my82cam.

Today was a big difference, I saw three does, could have taken a shot on one of them but her fawn was trailing behind her so I let them walk.

Saw more rubs but still haven't seen any bucks in the area,

I'm really lost on what to do for this time of the season as far a calls or scents to use.

I setup on a trail was the only reason I saw the does, I'm sure it wasn't may calling that got them there...lol

I know I've never seen so many squirrels as I have this weekend.

Guest walkingdeadman
Congratulations on the Hog wd-40 and the 52 yard shot on the doe my82cam.

Today was a big difference, I saw three does, could have taken a shot on one of them but her fawn was trailing behind her so I let them walk.

Saw more rubs but still haven't seen any bucks in the area,

I'm really lost on what to do for this time of the season as far a calls or scents to use.

I setup on a trail was the only reason I saw the does, I'm sure it wasn't may calling that got them there...lol

I know I've never seen so many squirrels as I have this weekend.

I made a buck grunt and made a spike go nuts, he came running my way like a mad man. Kind of took me by suprise, I never seen him until I made that call. Pretty neat to see.