9mm for Female, Small Hands, Suggestions Requested

StPatrick

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest landman08

These are good choices. Might look at a S&W 908, a 9mm. Fits small hands very well. A lady friend shot my EMP and my 908, she liked the 908 better. She is a tiny lady and has been shooting with me twice. She also shot my 911 in 45acp and loved it, but likes the way the 908 feels for regular shooting. The 908 also comes in what S&W calls a Lady Smith it has a gray finish rather than the black as well. They are reasonably priced as well. Tell Sis Good Luck for me.

Guest HvyMtl

Ok. There are tons of options out there... Why 9mm?

Price is an issue. Do go out and do the rent and shoot as previously recommended - make sure she likes the 9mm recoil - she might prefer more or less caliber...

The Bersa was a very over looked firearm, until recently - IF you buy that one go High Capacity Thunder PRO - not the conceal carry - It is a great bang for buck, easy to hold and the recoil is very light. Under $400... Why the Bersa - SAFETY, ease of use, warranty, and the obvious low price.

Safety: Ambidextrous safety and decocker, Ambidextrous slide release (aides with those who have weak hand strength to release slide...) Round in Chamber indicator... Got children in the house? Has a Key lock system that makes the gun a paperweight.

DA/SA trigger - gives that extra split instant for the brain to stop the trigger...

Ease of use - one of the easiest firearms to take down and clean. Easy to shoot.

Warranty-lifetime.

Effectively, any full size 9 could fit your request.

So - price range?

I agree that, as a new user, she will need a safety, decocker, and a round in chamber indicator - safety first is a must.

Make sure you have someone else (say NRA Instructor) to teach her the safety rules, and proper shooting techniques. That way your relationship - brother - does not get messed with, or interfere at the worst time. Trust me on that - you want a "pro" who can grab attention and get the safety part of ownership instilled.

She will HAVE TO PICK THE GUN HERSELF - Which it sounds like you are doing - SMART MOVE. Why? If she does not like the feel, she will never shoot the firearm. Making it an expensive paperweight.

Make sure she likes the feel, holds it naturally, without the need to adjust her grip to fire or aim the weapon - its a SD firearm, she will pick it up and fire it as she picks it up the first time - even if you drill how to hold it...

She will find the one she likes and off from there - you might be surprised as to which she picks up.

Good for you for being the caring brother.

Good for her for understanding the need for SD.

Edited by HvyMtl
  • 2 weeks later...

By now your wife should own one of everything! Kudos for SR9. My wife has small hands also and she loves it, although she's gotta get it out of mine first. This gun is in nightstand and goes everywhere. Very safe, acurate, light, holds 17+1, and priced right.

The other nightstand is getting a Taurus "judge"

Guest buddysattva

I gotta say, it seems like some may have missed the point. A lot of folks are just crowing about their favorite gun, no paying much attention to the fact that she may have smaller hands.

As far as why not a shotgun, this is what she wants to sleep next to. If someone sneaks in while she's asleep, the shotgun leaning against the wall would be visible to her potential assailant, she wants something where SHE knows where it is, not something left in the open. Also, given the fact that she intends using it for defensive purposes inside her home, that shotgun makes pretty big holes in drywall if every little pellet doesn't hit the bad guy.

It's also harder to retain the shotgun in a possible struggle. Never discount that hand-to-hand may occur.

Have her go put her hands on a Kel-Tec P11, or a Walther PPS. I bought my wife a Kel-Tec for Valentine's Day.

Guest HexHead

My wife is petite and has small hands with short fingers. Finding a pistol she felt comfortable with was a challenge. She had been shooting my Browning Hi Power, and even though it was a double stack, it fit her hand well and she shot it very well. When the time came to get her own pistol should she want to carry it, she ended up with a Para PDA in 9mm.

With the very light and smooth LDA trigger, it has the benefits of a revolver but the thumb and grip safeties of a 1911. And you don't have to carry it "cocked & locked". It has a very slender Officer's size grip. It's truly a "honey, I shrunk the 1911" gun. :D

One last recommendation is the one Tom Gresham would probably make on his radio show, since I've heard him answer this question often. The S&W M&P 9mm with the interchangeable backstraps. She'll be able to fit the pistol to her hand.

Similarly, the HK P30 has both interchangeable backstraps and grip panels. If you can't get that pistol to fit, just get a rock to throw. :P

I prefer a smaller grip myself. Seems I have better control. Since she's already tried the P226, why not let her try a 225 (P6). They are a great price, and the grip is quite a bit smaller. That's my standard carry.

WOW, i am not even gonna read to the end and say stop giving the guy bad advices. Did any one actually read what he was looking for? a night stand gun for a new shooter, a revolver would be more approperiate, but you asked for semis. For a semi i'd go for the XD full size or XDm. what lot of people are missing to see is a subcompact gun would have more recoil especailly when operated by a new shooter than a full size one would. Plus would want the higher capacity a full size handgun can offer. XD's have really narrow grip for a double stack and most females like how they feel in thier hands, and ones who actually shoot it like its trigger than many other handguns. also thier felt recoil is much less than a glock19 and much less than the walther p99. yes walther may fit a person's hand better. but i wont advice it for a new shooter. most importantly get her some good instructions on how to operate the firearm properly and practice with it. and for the love of god, stay away from sub-compacts. i am not advising you my favorite handgun i'm telling you what works and women seem to like from experience.

Edited by mk19
Guest RugerFan7

I know you are looking for a 9mm, but my wife really likes the Beretta Tomcat .32. It has very little recoil and is very accurate. It is small enough to conceal for if she is considering getting her HCP Plus it has a "true" safety on it. Put some Corbon Hollow Points in it for defense use.

I'd say I agree with all the others recommending the Kahr. My wife has the CW9 and loves it. The bad thing about hers is the slide is a little tough to rack. The good thing about hers is the slide is a little tough to rack. It's a Catch-22 type thing. Great if kids are around, because you have to really give it a pull. My 9-yo nephew can't easily rack it. Otherwise it is a very accurate gun for it's size.