Have AR's Hit Bottom?

Guest Matchguy

Guest Matchguy

Looks like AR's have glutted the market and prices are really coming down....Guns for Sale (Bud's Gun Shop)is advertising a couple of Doublestar carbines, one an M4, for $649 and $659 respectively, DELIVERED. I built one two and a half years ago for more than that. Del-Ton has complete uppers in different configurations for as little as $395. They'll be reasonable until the next Obamascare, anyway. Might be a good idea to get one while the prices are down. IMHO. FWIW.

MG

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gun Geek

I could be wrong but to my understanding, the Panic buying caused the manufacturers to up production a lot. Then panic buying stopped for ARs so now there is a ton in stock everywhere.

My smith bought quite a few AR lowers directly before the demand cut off. Now he cant get rid of them. Heck I bought three off of him for myself.

Guest HvyMtl

No, I do not think AR prices have hit bottom, yet.

The economy is still flailing around, and money is tight for too many right now to start a buying rally.

For the prices to stop falling and jump back up, there will have to be another event to push the buying - as the average buyer will be focused on regular bills, and not buying firearms.

So, if Congress decided to bring back the fiasco of an Assault Weapons Ban, the rush would start back, but until some outside event and/or the economy improves, I expect prices to go lower...

I hope you find a good deal... and I am wondering about Christmas as the production bump will have arrived fully, and the demand will probably stay low... Hmm... Perhaps an AR in my stocking?

Guest Matchguy

I did some more checking for a friend overseas and here are a few more prices; I checked at CDNN a minute ago and found a S&W M&P 15 M4 for $799.99 with several permutations available at that price, a CMMG M4 for $749.99, A Bushmaster M4A1 for $799. The Colt M4 was $1199, naturally. The RRA website lists their standard A2 rifle for $980.

MG

Guest Traumaslave

They aren't where they were pre-Obama. M&P lowers were $75. Not there yet. CDNN is usually a bit high and RRA public prices are really high.

They aren't where they were pre-Obama. M&P lowers were $75. Not there yet. CDNN is usually a bit high and RRA public prices are really high.

$75? Are you sure you're not lowballing that a bit? I bought my stripped lower for $90 in 2000 and at the time that was considered a good price.

Guest Traumaslave
$75? Are you sure you're not lowballing that a bit? I bought my stripped lower for $90 in 2000 and at the time that was considered a good price.

Small error on my part. The M&P was $90, the Olympic was $75. And I should note, that was my price.

I'd agree, we haven't hit bottom on ARs yet. They are looking good though. I'd say after Christmas, maybe around Feb./March, keep your powder dry until then. UNLESS, you're a little antsey on having no high capacity rifle in your safe. We never know when another political event might take place that will quickly jump prices rising. I'm holding, but plan to double down when it seems we're at the bottom.

Guest Mugster
I'd agree, we haven't hit bottom on ARs yet. They are looking good though. I'd say after Christmas, maybe around Feb./March, keep your powder dry until then. UNLESS, you're a little antsey on having no high capacity rifle in your safe. We never know when another political event might take place that will quickly jump prices rising. I'm holding, but plan to double down when it seems we're at the bottom.

+1 on the march/april call.

I suspect anyone left with cash at that point will get good deals on most anything.

Well my birthday is in March. So you better believe I'll be buying one. Now I just gotta figure out what's good. My knowledge of AR's is kinda slim. Oh well. Time for some research......

Edited by GoVols
Guest Mugster
Well my birthday is in March. So you better believe I'll be buying one. Now I just gotta figure out what's good. Knowledge of AR's is kinda slim here. Oh well. Time for some research......

Haha.

If you have a question, post it up. We pay a guy that might own one to come in on fridays and respond to ar questions.

I'm with you guys waiting till 1st quarter next year. As long as Eric Holder doesn't have another stupid press conference ("Remember that 'small change" I was talking about us making last year. . . ") we could see some very nice deals.

Not to take business away from our vendors, but you can get a CMMG for $599 right now. They are in very good condition from what I have heard.

CMMG

When you click the Hand Picked drop-down, you get a choice of picked by Denny or picked by Jerry. Who's a better picker? :lol:

Unless you are single, buy the AR now before the transmission burns up or the fridge goes KAPUT. :poop: It's better pay a few extra dollars and have it then not get one while you can. Yes, I'm still bitter about the Chinese AK that I decided to sleep on and then they had sold out the next day.

2010 being an election year, it is unlikely that the dems will push unpopular gun-control measures, as they are already facing the prospect of losing many seats in the house. Then again, they could always double down on stupid...we've seen stranger things before, but I doubt that party leadership is willing to take such a big risk.

Guest FroggyOne2
i talked myself into paying almost 2K for a M1A several months ago. might pick up a $500 AR to make me feel a bit better.

M1A's have always been expesive!