Choosing an Entry Level Trap Gun

Thince1980

For Christmas I am going to get an entry level trap/skeet shotgun as I want to get into the sport.

Can anybody help me get started picking one out?

I don't have much idea where to start.

Things I am looking for:

-preferably from one of the well know manufacturers

-in the $300-$500 range (is this even possible?)

-side by side or over-under though I am not opposed to a semi

-12 or 20 gauge

Thanks for any advice,

Rebtl

Edited by Rebtl
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In that price range, you're pretty much narrowed down to the Mossberg Silver Reserve or something close to that. It is O/U. Beware of older models as I understand that they have parts breakage issues (firing pins) and are difficult to obtain service on locally. You definitely need a 12 ga. Stay away from side by sides. If you are just getting into the sports I'd suggest a Remington 1100. Doesn't have to be anything special but will shoot a lot easier on your shoulder than the O/U, especially if you're a beginner. It'll be easier to find a used 1100 in that price range than much of anything else. Later you can graduate to a 1100 Trap or Sporting as your tastes are refined...you can get into one of those for around $1K. Nose around Gunbroker and or trapshooters.com. There's a shooting range in Chatt but for the life of me I cannot recall its name...get on over there and get into the crowd somebody's always selling shotguns moving to something else...maybe they have something older / better that you could get into cheaper than off the shelf. Hope the info helps.

Hey mrmoe,

Thanks for all the advice! Your point about the side by side is well taken.

I have been reading online since I posted my question and I completely understand what you mean. It seems an nice semi auto is the way to go for entry level shooters without a lot of cash.

I think the sporting range in Chat is called Prairie or something like that. I have never been there yet but saw a flyer for the place.

I own a Stoeger Condor in a 20 gauge its an O/U,I have used it to shoot trap and its a pretty decent shooter,It has a manual ejector and 2 screw in chokes in modified and improved.I bought it new for under $400.00,they also make the 12 gauge for the same price.:lol:

Thanks for the advice guys,

like Warren said, I have figured out that a side by side is not the way to go.

Thanks for the advice on the Stoeger krunch, that pretty much sounds like exactly what I need.

I don't know anything about the Stoeger company though. What kind of reputation do they have?

I am kind of looking for something that is going to last me a long time.

Rebtl

Go with a semi-auto. Get a used Rem 1100 or older Beretta. You can get a used semi that will hold up to the rigors of a sporting gun. Inexpensive O/U will not hold up to any amount of serious shooting, though they are fine for the field and hunting and the couple of times a year sporting shooter.

In general a good skeet gun will interchange well as a sporting clays gun. SC is to me the most fun of all and the most like hunting. Skeet is OK to learn on, though for many it becomes boring after a bit, but you might like it for years. I will say though most SC shooters like a longer barreled gun and most skeet shooters like a shorter faster swinging gun.

Trap guns don't usually make the best skeet or SC guns because a trap gun shoots higher than point of aim, skeet and SC guns pretty shoot right on POA.

There are some real value quality O/U's to be had for $600-800 such as the Lanber, but in general a quality O/U built to withstand 100-200 shots a day for perhaps several days in a row or more will cost well over $1k.

My best advice is to buy a good used semi to learn and upgrade later. Inexpensive O/U's kick hard and break often under these types of shooting conditions. Don't buy one.

For the best information and the best informed shotgun experts on the web check out shotgunworld.com

Thanks for the advice guys,

like Warren said, I have figured out that a side by side is not the way to go.

Thanks for the advice on the Stoeger krunch, that pretty much sounds like exactly what I need.

I don't know anything about the Stoeger company though. What kind of reputation do they have?

I am kind of looking for something that is going to last me a long time.

Rebtl

Stoeger is best known at this type or their coach guns they make for cowboy action shooting. They make several shotguns, including some that work fine for these situations and for hunting. I have known many who tried to shoot sporting with them and w/o fail 8 out of 10 could not stand the beating. The frames and receivers do well enough, they are tough in fact, but usually they lose a lot of accuracy when hot, they break internals a lot and their pinions become loose fairly easily.

Again what will last a lifetime of hunting often will only last a couple of years of medium sporting shooting. You don't need a $10k plus Beretta, K gun or Perazzi to have a nice sporting gun, but you need better than the typical lost cost hunting O/U.

I shoot trap and Dove hunt with a BENELLI SUPER BLACK EAGLE 12ga . As long as i do my part it always works. A semi. 2 3/4" , 3" or 3 1/2" chamber .Cost around 1,250 .:usa: