The traffic-camera scam

TMMT

The traffic-camera scam

Arlington, Falls Church, Fairfax and Virginia Beach are preparing to stimulate public spending with new red-light camera programs. This is part of a push to fill government budget shortfalls by ramping up tickets for moving violations. Virginia is driving the wrong way down this street.

After banning the commonwealth's ticket-camera programs in 2005, the General Assembly is again opening the door to this lucrative revenue stream. Proponents claim that traffic cameras enhance public safety, but two Georgia state Republican lawmakers are calling the safety bluff. Last year, Rep. Barry Loudermilk, District 14 state House Republican, and Sen. Jack Murphy, District 27 state Senate Republican, introduced a bill to add a few restrictions on the use of traffic cameras. One provision requires the addition of one extra second to the duration of the yellow warning period at any intersection where red-light cameras are used. The law took effect three months ago, and the results underscore the revenue-orientation of photo-enforcement programs.

"The addition of one second has made a significant reduction in red-light violations," Norcross, Ga., Police Chief Dallas Stidd wrote in a Feb. 5 memorandum. "We along with other jurisdictions have seen a significant decrease in citations. This will cause a shortfall in our budget for this program." After revenue projections were diminished, the safety argument was abandoned by the Norcross City Council, which voted March 2 to terminate its red-light camera program. The Georgia towns of Duluth, Lilburn, Rome, Snellville and Suwanee all cancelled their photo-enforcement programs when violations dropped as much as 80 percent due to the extra second for yellow lights.

This progress exposes the dirty little secret of the red-light camera industry. As reported on thenewspaper.com, about 80 percent of citations are issued to vehicles photographed making split-second, technical violations that are in most cases invisible to the unaided eye. The trigger on red-light cameras in Fremont, Calif., was so quick that the shutter clicked faster than the signal itself could change from yellow to red. According to the California State Auditor, the city was forced to cancel 459 tickets taken for violations "during which both the yellow and red lights were displayed on some photographs."

The truth about traffic cameras is that the real motivation behind the programs is revenue, not safety. For this reason, the systems are often rigged to guarantee a large yield of tickets. In Fairfax County, at the intersection of U.S. 50 and Fair Ridge Drive, the yellow light was shortened just three days after the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors signed a contract to implement red-light cameras in October 1999. When the longer yellow time was restored in 2001, violations decreased by 90 percent.

In 2007, the Virginia Department of Transportation documented a 29 percent increase in accidents and a 19 percent increase in injuries at red-light camera intersections. This is because drivers slam on their brakes or speed up to try to avoid getting a camera ticket, thus causing more accidents. If Virginia lawmakers are really interested in safety rather than revenue, they will follow Georgia's lead and lengthen yellow lights and ditch their traffic cameras.

EDITORIAL: The traffic-camera scam - Washington Times

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One reason I am growing tired and no longer have the love of the law I once did.

It's no longer about the law, its about money. Its no longer about a good case it's about fines and probation fee's.

When I retire I think I'm gonna move to Alaska or someplace just as remote, just so I can escape it all.

When I retire I think I'm gonna move to Alaska or someplace just as remote, just so I can escape it all.

How about California? The weather is milder and it's so far out there, it's barely on the planet. :P:D:crazy:

Guest bubruins

Good article! I've been wondering how dangerous the lights in Murfreesboro are and now I can approximate that they create 29% more wrecks and 19% more injuries. The next time my girlfriend talks about how great they are and how they bring in money for the city I'm going to throw those figures out there.

Guest GunTroll

AZ has speeding cameras. If I was a cop I would be afraid of losing my job from this techno advanced ticket writing. Soon the nervous feeling of having a ticket handed over to you from a LEO will be a thing of the past.

The city next to where i live has red light cameras all over the place that would take your picture even if you are making a right turn. the judges are so tired of them that if you go to the court for one they'd just dismiss the whole thing.

clarksville has a few. i got nailed for a ticket once. i passed the white line .005 seconds after the light turned red, at least thats what the ticket said. didnt want to slam on the brakes in the rain so i bit the bullet on that one. kind of stupid i think. i think 80% of the tickets come from the light right infront of post in the morning when everyone is late and traffic sucks.

Jackson has had these cameras for some time. It is just a revenue generator. $50 bucks a pop. No points. They have also just gotten a mobile speed cameras. They are in SUV's and they move around and stop anywhere. I heard they got somewhere around 250 speeders in a hour and a half in one location. If you listen to the talk radio station in town you will find out where they are. Ever y time they stop somewhere someone will call it in. They are called "robo cop" around Jackson. If you don't know where they are you better be careful.

Guest mikedwood

They have them here in Oak Ridge. Speed and redlight. They are planning on it being a cash cow. I don't like them for several different reasons.

They don't ticket the drivers. The vehicle gets a citation,just like a parking citation :koolaid:

What about tinted windows, hard to ID the driver if you can't see him/her.

As a cop,one would think you'd know that....

Edited by strickj
These have always been about the $$$ I don't care how much they talk about them being to increase safety.

Volz and others are exactly right. It is about the money. Just looked up the numbers on the 2009-2010 Knoxville City Budget. Here they are:

• TOTAL BUDGET: 165 Million
  • POLICE BUDGET: 45 Million or 27.2% of the total
  • Revenue from TC's: 1.055 Million counted as revenue. The total is actually greater because the fines are split with the camera operator. My guess is in the 40/60 city/contractor vicinity. The camera installation and maintenance expenses are pretty high.
  • By the way; the fire department budget is about 31 million or 19% of the budget. I think this is interesting in itself. Fire departments are a very important (and noble) service; but a net drain on the budget. Not many fines here.
  • The revenues from the traffic cameras are, indeed, counted as revenue. If you assume it all goes to the police budget (which i dont think it does); their budget becomes 27.9% of the total. That 1/2% doesnt seem like much when percentages are discussed; but to most people, $1 Mil will buy lots of toys; and that is exactly what this is about. Traffic cameras are, in fact, a "stealth" revenue stream.

By the way, if strickj is reading this; i loosened my tinfoil hat and took a baby aspirin before i did the math. The data is from the knoxville city budget and a knoxnews article on traffic cameras. Did the math with an excel spread sheet. Used to do it for a living.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

LEROY

Sources: Laws for traffic cameras debated Knoxville News Sentinel

City Budget Facts

It kills me that people complain about money being made from those breaking the law. ---Tax increases are voted on -- in public. Stealth fines are decided on behind closed doors. You can make the "law breaker" point; but it is a minor one. There is a murder trial going on in knoxville now that should jar everyone who takes time to read and think about it to their knees. My personal opinion is that the KPD might oughta spend a little more time with criminals who are doing bad things than spend their time reviewing split second traffic offender pictures. But that's just my opinion. Your mileage and opinion may vary. LEROY

In my perfect world,that entire 165mil would come from those law breakers instead of tax payers...but thats just me :koolaid:

I'm sorry your sad. I wuz tryin to cheer ya up with the aspirin and hat thing. I'm sorry you feel bad -- poor baby!!

RE: 'Fixing the budget." I do like the idea of making law breakers pay. Let's bring back the old chain gangs and do public projects with convict labor. What do we need to do to get started?!!!

Ready to help.

Kind regards,

LEROY

Leroy,you don't think running red lights is wrong?

The type of crime is irrelevant,fact is a crime is a crime is a crime.

-Tax increases are voted on -- in public. Stealth fines are decided on behind closed doors.
Stealth? Running red lights is not stealth.

Furthermore,if you don't wanna have to pay that "stealth" fine,then don't run any red lighs. Seems pretty simple to me :drama:

You can make the "law breaker" point; but it is a minor one.

A minor one? Seems to be the only point to me. You break the law,you pay. Pretty big part of the equation actually.

Edited by strickj

Wait for all the numbers showing rear end collisions from idiots slamming on the brakes to avoid those called life saving camera's.. It's greed! PERIOD!

Budget shortfalls are everywhere and it's just another way to fleece american's out of their hard earned money.

The next BIG thing is radar & camera's on the interstate catching speeders. it's comming to a interstate near you soon! You can rest assured it's all about saving lives. Total Bull****!

Edited by lowbud

The type of crime is irrelevant,fact is a crime is a crime is a crime.

Stealth? Running red lights is not stealth.

Furthermore,if you don't wanna have to pay that "stealth" fine,then don't run any red lighs. Seems pretty simple to me :drama:

A minor one? Seems to be the only point to me. You break the law,you pay. Pretty big part of the equation actually.

Strickj ole buddy:_________

Matter of fact, i do believe that running red lights is both wrong and dangerous. I make it a policy not to run 'em. More that that, there's another law i dont like to break. I'ts the natural law that says two things cant occupy the same place at the same time -- that's why them red lites are there to begin with -- public safety -- not objects to raise revenue with. Consequently, i dont pay any "stealth" fines.

A minor one? Seems to be the only point to me. You break the law,you pay. Pretty big part of the equation actually.[/

Oh really, a $100 fine for running a red light (which i dont recommend) is a nuisance. I happen to believe that the guise under which this whole little thing is done is dispicable. You mileage and opinion may well be different.

Since we're on the "break the law and pay thing" -- how's that working out for "real crimes" in your neighborhood? From where i sit; not too well. Knoxville is being invaded by real crime -- the crime rate is twice the national average for a city of knoxville's size. When the crime rate takes a noticeable downturn on "real crime" -- you know, rape, murder, armed robbery, home invasion, etc; i'll start paying more homage to the law enforcement enterprise -- but that's just me.

That's how i see things this morning.

Kind regards,

LEROY

Wait for all the numbers showing rear end collisions from idiots slamming on the brakes to avoid those called life saving camera's.. It's greed! PERIOD!

The next BIG thing is radar & camera's on the interstate catching speeders. it's comming to a interstate near you soon! You can rest assured it's all about saving lives. Total Bull****!

Rear end collisions are caused by people following to closely.

Budget shortfalls are everywhere and it's just another way to fleece american's out of their hard earned money.

So what? :drama:

Heres the thing! Don't run the ****ing red light,and your hard earned money will stay in your pocket!

How is that so hard to understand?

Since we're on the "break the law and pay thing" -- how's that working out for "real crimes" in your neighborhood? From where i sit; not too well

How does it take away from fighting "real crime"?

If anything it helps fight "real crime" by freeing those much needed officers,and letting them focus on that,instead of writing tickets.

So,I'd say its working out pretty well :drama:

How does it take away from fighting "real crime"?

If anything it helps fight "real crime" by freeing those much needed officers,and letting them focus on that,instead of writing tickets.

So,I'd say its working out pretty well :drama:

Looks to me like Chattanooga is in better shape than knoxville. I't aint workin out too well here. Maybe the chattanooga city fathers can put some of them money makin red lite cameras up down there and get more money for "enforcement".

By the way, at the risk of seeming overbearing and preachy, I believe that there is a scale of law breaking. The legislators (you know, the guys that make the laws) designed it to run from major to minor. That's why there are graduated sentences for different crimes. You know, capitol murder rape on top == death penalty, life without parole (for the time being, ayway); all the way down to j-walking and littering at the bottom == monetary fines. All crime aint equal.

I say it's ok to be an apologist (you know, an avid supporter and vociferous spokesman) for the law by saying that all law breaking is bad and ill go along with that. The fact is that laws are placed upon society to protect society. My quarrel is that i dont agree with the emphasis being placed on traffic enforcement when you have mother rapers, father stabbers, murdering gutter trash, and predatory excrement running wild. I may be old and foolish; but it looks to me like there ought to be more emphasis on rounding up and corraling them instead of smacking motorists; but that's just me. When the KPD (or any other police department) starts cutting the Traffic Division and re-allocates those resoucres to the Patrol and Crime Divisions i'll ease up a little bit.

To me, this whole little conversation about the "law being the law" for all "crimes" from j-walking to murder and thus being subject to equal emphasis of enforcement is the epitome (you know, the apex or top) of the "Theatre of the Absurd."

Remember, all lawbreakin aint equal!!

LEROY

Edited by leroy
minor grammar and sentence structure.