Obama Declares Swine Flue National Emergency

Guest SUNTZU

Obama declares swine flu a national emergency - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama has declared the swine flu outbreak a national emergency.

The White House on Saturday said Obama signed a proclamation that would allow medical officials to bypass certain federal requirements. Officials described the move as similar to a declaration ahead of a hurricane making landfall.

Swine flu is more widespread now than it's ever been and has resulted in more than 1,000 U.S. deaths so far.

Health authorities say almost 100 children have died from the flu, known as H1N1, and 46 states now have widespread flu activity.

The White House said Obama signed the declaration on Friday evening.

Federal Pandemic Plan (this is a pdf file)

http://www.hhs.gov/pandemicflu/plan/pdf/HHSPandemicInfluenzaPlan.pdf

I don't know what rules can go into effect under the plan, but whatever the case, "don't let a good crisis go to waste." Whatever legislation happens now, it is OFFICIALLY a National Emergency. Wash you hands.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Muttling

I don't know what rules can go into effect under the plan, but whatever the case, "don't let a good crisis go to waste." Whatever legislation happens now, it is OFFICIALLY a National Emergency. Wash you hands.

Just go to page 22 of your link. It's all right there.

Mostly it's a matter of monitoring the spread, loosening up the FDA's reins that slow down vaccine development, opening the doors on the Fed's drug/ medical equipment stockpiles, and coordinating efforts.

:drama::):(

I could care less what its being called. Fact is people are getting sick and dieing!

I'm not going to let my haterade for O get in the way of possibly helping people that may die from this.

i read today in the knoxville sentinel that only 1000 deaths have been confirmed from swine flu
Since when,March?

Considering the history of it,I'd say its about to get allot worse before it lets up.

Do a little research on its history. specifically see how many people died in the 1918 outbreak.

Edit: according to CDC,the outbreak started in April.

Thats 166 people a month,or 41 people a week...yeah,I'd call that a pandemic.Especially from something that is "new".

And just incase anyone doesnt know,heres the definition for pandemic

pan·dem·ic (pabreve.gifn-debreve.gifmprime.gifibreve.gifk)adj.1. Widespread; general.

2. Medicine Epidemic over a wide geographic area and affecting a large proportion of the population: pandemic influenza.

Edited by strickj
I could care less what its being called. Fact is people are getting sick and dieing!

I'm not going to let my haterade for O get in the way of possibly helping people that may die from this.

Since when,March?

Considering the history of it,I'd say its about to get allot worse before it lets up.

Do a little research on its history. specifically see how many people died in the 1918 outbreak.

Edit: according to CDC,the outbreak started in April.

Thats 166 people a month,or 41 people a week...yeah,I'd call that a pandemic.Especially from something that is "new".

And just incase anyone doesnt know,heres the definition for pandemic

The CDC estimates that over 20,000 people die in the United States every year from the flu and its complications. Just the generic flu, not swine flu. Based on the CDC's statistics, you are at least ten times as likely to die from the regular, old flu and its complications than from H1N1 and its complications.
Just go to page 22 of your link. It's all right there.

Mostly it's a matter of monitoring the spread, loosening up the FDA's reins that slow down vaccine development, opening the doors on the Fed's drug/ medical equipment stockpiles, and coordinating efforts.

The pdf file kept freezing up halfway through downloading. Thanks for the heads up.

:drama::screwy:;)

Great use of smilies. Go back and read what I posted. Its not the flu itself that concerns me, more what can be done now that its considered a national emergency and fear, fear, fear...hate, hate, hate is back on track as the order for the day.

:shrug:

SUNTZU You get it. I got it. You have learned to read between the lines as I have. You must also know the term step back and focus on the whole picture too. You did not mean to downplay H1N1 but merely pointed out the whole "never let a good crisis go to waste" thing. H1N1 just happens to be an opportunity to create a crisis. Trust in our government went out the window a long time ago!

Guest HexHead

When has anything he's talked about not been a "national emergency"? Remember the huge rush to pass the Stimulus package?

Don't forget the administration's motto as coined by Rahm Emanuel, "Never let a good crisis go to waste. It allows you to do things you never thought you could do."

The pdf file kept freezing up halfway through downloading. Thanks for the heads up.

Great use of smilies. Go back and read what I posted. Its not the flu itself that concerns me, more what can be done now that its considered a national emergency and fear, fear, fear...hate, hate, hate is back on track as the order for the day.

;)

I am just tired of the crisis mentality. Every time you turn on the TV the government is trying to get us all WEE WEE UP over something. :screwy:

The CDC estimates that over 20,000 people die in the United States every year from the flu and its complications. Just the generic flu, not swine flu. Based on the CDC's statistics, you are at least ten times as likely to die from the regular, old flu and its complications than from H1N1 and its complications.

Thats not correct. Check the CDC web site here.

They state that the average number of seasonal flu deaths per year is unknown. However,there is an estimate of 36 per yer on average from possible flu related compilations.

CDC does not know exactly how many people die from seasonal flu each year. There are several reasons for this: First, states are not required to report individual seasonal flu cases or deaths of people older than 18 years of age to CDC. Second, seasonal influenza is infrequently listed on death certificates of people who die from flu-related complications [12]. Third, many seasonal flu-related deaths occur one or two weeks after a person’s initial infection, either because the person may develop a secondary bacterial co-infection (such as a staph infection) [1,8,11] or because seasonal influenza can aggravate an existing chronic illness (such as congestive heart failure or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)

Furthermore,actual flu deaths are not that common,but complications from flu is

Seasonal flu-related deaths are deaths that occur in people for whom seasonal influenza infection was likely a contributor to the cause of death, but not necessarily the primary cause of death.
Heres a little info on the 1918 outbreak I referenced link.

In two years,50-100 million people died...thats allot of effin people!

We need to stop this before it gets any worse! If calling it a national emergency helps speed things up,then so be it...

Thats not correct. Check the CDC web site here.

They state that the average number of seasonal flu deaths per year is unknown. However,there is an estimate of 36 per yer on average from possible flu related compilations.

Furthermore,actual flu deaths are not that common,but complications from flu is

Heres a little info on the 1918 outbreak I referenced link.

In two years,50-100 million people died...thats allot of effin people!

We need to stop this before it gets any worse! If calling it a national emergency helps speed things up,then so be it...

What I posted was correct, though underestimated. Also, the page you linked to estimates that 36,000(not 36, as in your post) people die every year from flu and flu-related complications. Of course, I already knew that. I just under reported in my previous post. According to that site, the CDC doesn't actually know how many people die directly from influenza. How many of the people who reportedly died of H1N1 actually died from a secondary bacterial infection or other complication, as is usually the case with deaths from seasonal flu?

I am also very aware of the influenza pandemic of 1918, and have been for many years. In the United States, approximately 600,000 people died in two years from 1918 to 1920 from influenza. The mortality rate in those infected was 10-20%. The mortality rate of people in the US who are hospitalized with seasonal flu today is 18%. The mortality rate of people in the US who are diagnosed with swine flu today is <5%. In it's current form, the swine flu can in no way be compared to the Spanish flu of 1918.

Of course, there is a chance that the current swine flu could mutate and become much more deadly. But this is also true of any other strain of influenza. IMHO, it is too early to call a state of emergency for swine flu.

Whoops,meant to put a K behind that 36.

In it's current form, the swine flu can in no way be compared to the Spanish flu of 1918.
H1N1 is a form of Swine flu.

As far as comparing it to seasonal flu,this is from the CDC:

Each week CDC analyzes information about influenza disease activity in the United States and publishes findings of key flu indicators in a report called FluView. During the week of October 11-17, 2009, a review of the key indictors found that influenza activity continued to increase in the United States from the previous week. Below is a summary of the most recent key indicators:
Almost all of the influenza viruses identified so far are 2009 H1N1 influenza A viruses. These viruses remain similar to the virus chosen for the 2009 H1N1 vaccine, and remain susceptible to the antiviral drugs oseltamivir and zanamivir with rare exception.
In the United States, approximately 600,000 people died in two years from 1918 to 1920 from influenza.

Where is that info? Like stated in my last post,seasonal flu is not reported to the CDC.

Also,in that two years,between 50-100 million people died from Swine flu.A big difference in numbers there.

Part of the problem here,and why its being called a "pandemic" is because this virus in its current form,is only a few months old.

When taking into consideration the history of Swine flu in its different states,its very scary. Nobody wants this outbreak to reach the levels it has in the past.

Where is that info? Like stated in my last post,seasonal flu is not reported to the CDC.

Also,in that two years,between 50-100 million people died from Swine flu.A big difference in numbers there.

It is the estimated number of people(~600,000) who died in the US during the Spanish flu(a variant of H1N1) epidemic of 1918-1920. I should have been more clear. I didn't mean to imply that those were the number of deaths caused by seasonal flu in those years.
Part of the problem here,and why its being called a "pandemic" is because this virus in its current form,is only a few months old.

When taking into consideration the history of Swine flu in its different states,its very scary. Nobody wants this outbreak to reach the levels it has in the past.

I believe that the primary reason it is being called a pandemic, aside from the fact that it technically is by definition(pandemic just means that it is not a typically occurring[endemic] disease or infection and is spread over a large area, it has nothing to do with its 'deadliness'), is because scared people watch the news more. Deep down, people like to be scared. A variant of avian flu(H5N1), which has the potential to be even more dangerous than swine flu, was a huge news story a few years ago. It never materialized into the global killer that the news was trying to make it back then. But it did scare a lot of people and, no doubt, sold a lot of newspapers.

It is possible that the swine flu could mutate and become much more virulent and deadly. But there are other doomsday scenarios that are probably just as likely to occur. IMHO, the current swine flu pandemic is being overblown. That doesn't mean that researchers should quit working on it. And it doesn't mean that it couldn't become much worse. But I think it is premature to force vaccines on the market that may have side effects that are much worse than the flu itself or that may cause serious cases of the very(usually mild) flu that they are intended to prevent. There are much more real concerns.

Just to put things in perspective, based on past data. Since the H1N1 pandemic hit the US six months ago killing 1,000 people-

Over 600,000 have died of cancer and heart disease

Over 65,000 have died of strokes

Over 20,000 people have died in car accidents

Over 6,000 have died from a fall

About 2,000 have drowned

About 1,500 have died from complications caused by surgical and medical care.

Edited by USMCJG

Just to put things in perspective, based on past data. Since the H1N1 pandemic hit the US six months ago killing 1,000 people-

Over 600,000 have died of cancer and heart disease

Over 65,000 have died of strokes

Over 20,000 people have died in car accidents

Over 6,000 have died from a fall

About 2,000 have drowned

About 1,500 have died from complications caused by surgical and medical care.

Well,there's not a shot that will cure those though,and they're not contagious. Im not going to touch a door knob after someone,and fall out of a tree!

I'll agree that it may be blown up some,but like I said in my 1st post,I don't see the problem in this if it can help reduce those numbers.

Also,keeping in mind Swine flu's history that nobody wants repeated.

If 100 million people died from this,there would be hell to pay.

Its better to be cautious,and over reactive,then not worry,and have deadly consequences.

But I think it is premature to force vaccines on the market that may have side effects that are much worse than the flu itself or that may cause serious cases of the very(usually mild) flu that they are intended to prevent. There are much more real concerns.
No one is forcing you to take a vaccination.

And,according to CDC,these vaccinations should be no more dangerous then your yearly flu shot.

The only people they say that could be affected are those with egg allergies,and children with severe asthma.

However,that does not mean they cant get the vaccine,theres just another process for them.

Because children with severe asthma are at high risk of serious complications from influenza, a regimen has been developed for giving influenza vaccine to children with severe asthma and egg hypersensitivity.
CDC H1N1 Flu | Questions & Answers Novel H1N1 Influenza Vaccine Edited by strickj
Well,there's not a shot that will cure those though,and they're not contagious. Im not going to touch a door knob after someone,and fall out of a tree!

I'll agree that it may be blown up some,but like I said in my 1st post,I don't see the problem in this if it can help reduce those numbers.

Also,keeping in mind Swine flu's history that nobody wants repeated.

If 100 million people died from this,there would be hell to pay.

Its better to be cautious,and over reactive,then not worry,and have deadly consequences.

No one is forcing you to take a vaccination.

And,according to CDC,these vaccinations should be no more dangerous then your yearly flu shot.

The only people they say that could be affected are those with egg allergies,and children with severe asthma.

However,that does not mean they cant get the vaccine,theres just another process for them.

CDC H1N1 Flu | Questions & Answers Novel H1N1 Influenza Vaccine

There are many health professionals who are not quite so sure about the new vaccine. I didn't say anyone was forcing ME to take a flu shot. I said that they are forcing a vaccine to market that doesn't have the usual research behind it. I have never had a flu shot of any kind, and have had the flu maybe once in the last 20+ years.

Of course the causes of death I mentioned are not contagious. That was not my point. My point is that your life is many, many, many times more likely to be tragically effected by them than by the current swine flu. And to put some perspective into the 1,000 deaths number, which is statistically a very small number, that is being thrown around, seemingly as proof that we are all doomed.:shrug:

Anyone who wants to let the media scare them to death is perfectly free to do so. But so far, IMHO, the facts don't back up the paranoia. And I will not be having a flu shot of any kind again this year. Anyone else is perfectly free to be injected with, or inhale, any experimental drug they wish as far as I am concerned.;)

Im not going to touch a door knob after someone,and fall out of a tree!
Credit where credit is due. That was a good one.:)

Yeah,I'll agree that rushing any drug to market is a bad thing. But whats worse.Having a vaccine for a deadly virus,or a vaccine for a deadly virus they wont let you take?

With the history of Swine,there may not be enough time for the years of testing to be complete.

Furthermore,I've not been able to find any info on how long the vaccine has actually been around. It could be a few months,but it could also be a few years.

I was able to find clinical testing in children administered by NIAID in June though...and one would assume any drug would be around long before any people test are done,especially in kids. So I just dunno how long its actually been :)

Yeah,I'll agree that rushing any drug to market is a bad thing. But whats worse.Having a vaccine for a deadly virus,or a vaccine for a deadly virus they wont let you take?

With the history of Swine,there may not be enough time for the years of testing to be complete.

Furthermore,I've not been able to find any info on how long the vaccine has actually been around. It could be a few months,but it could also be a few years.

I was able to find clinical testing in children administered by NIAID in June though...and one would assume any drug would be around long before any people test are done,especially in kids. So I just dunno how long its actually been :)

I am not sure when they first started working on the latest H1N1 vaccine. There was an attempt at a swine flu vaccine in 1979, with some pretty bad consequences. The best I could find was that the first human trials of the new vaccine occurred in Australia in July of this year. As far as I know, development of the new vaccine started in earnest in late 2008.

Here is an interesting article about the last swine flu epidemic of 1979. The last great swine flu epidemic | Salon