The Road

Motasyco

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TurboniumOxide

If you are a father and have a son, do not miss it. Read the book before you see the movie. If the movie ruins the story, I am going to be angry.

Guest 70below

Cormac McCarthy is actually from this area. Oak Ridge, maybe? I bought the book 4 or 5 months ago, but haven't had an opportunity to start reading it yet. I need to get on it now that there is a release date for the movie. Its supposed to be a great story.

If you are a father and have a son, do not miss it. Read the book before you see the movie. If the movie ruins the story, I am going to be angry.

You are absolutely right! The book is always better than the movie. I can think of no exception. Even Lonesmoe Dove. The tv movie was very good and about 8 hours long, still couldn't equal the book. I said the same thing to my wife last night.

My son is in his 30s with his own family and lives in a different state. I guess he's has his own family survival concerns to deal with now. I do wish he was closer so I could see it with him. Those of you that have young kids at home, cherish the time you have with them. They'll be grown and on their own too soon. Regardless of how much of a pain in the a$$ you think they are, you're going to miss them.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the book and read it. Now the movie is out and, although I haven't been in a theater in years, I want to go see this film. The reviews I've read are good and it's apparently in wide distribution. It doesn't appear to be playing anywhere in my area! I could go see a vampire movie popular with young girls, a rehash of Dickens, even a couple of animated movies or kiddie comedies. I can't go see The Road. Are adults not permitted in movie theaters any more? Maybe I need to move from Podunkville. What gives? Anybody seen it yet?

Kind of hard to do the whole end of the world thing without it, but as I watched it some of it didn't add up at all. Its worth renting, but don't expect to be on the edge of the seat. Its more of a nothing better to see kind of film.

Guest bkelm18

That's unfortunate. I know books can be hard to adapt to the big screen, but this one should have been pretty damn simple. Just two main characters, a few others sprinkled around. It would have just been up to the skill of the actors to pull it off.

That's unfortunate. I know books can be hard to adapt to the big screen, but this one should have been pretty damn simple. Just two main characters, a few others sprinkled around. It would have just been up to the skill of the actors to pull it off.

I should have quoted to whom I was talking. The movie I saw was 2012, not THE ROAD.

I should have quoted to whom I was talking. The movie I saw was 2012, not THE ROAD.

I'm in no hurry to see 2012, well, except for the election that will happen then. The movie can wait. I've seen the trailers and yes, GCI gone wild. Although I'm sure The Road will have some CGI, I hope they didn't rely on it for every scene in the movie.

The worst case of CGI I've seen so far was 300. I'd heard so much about how great it was and I had to turn it off. Might as well watch a cartoon.

So, has anybody seen The Road?

Rotten Tomatoes gave it 70% which is pretty frikkin high for RT. It may not do the book justice, but as a film goes - its supposedly pretty solid. I'm going to see it later today maybe.

We'll be expecting a review. And apparently, a location where it's showing would be helpful.