The Road

Motasyco

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GunTroll
Donner Party, table for twelve!

Uruguayan rugby team, your order is ready!

- OS

both of those are extreme scenarios. As I guess TEOTWAWKI would be. Just seems like those two examples the people involved were trapped in a certain area with no escape possible. In the Road people were mobile. I for one could not eat butt. Vegans can live in todays world eating twigs and leaves, so I can live in "tomorrows" doing the same. No thanks! Seems like a sure ticket to hell to me. I suppose if eating the recently dead and frozen might be the only exception.

Guest bkelm18
both of those are extreme scenarios. As I guess TEOTWAWKI would be. Just seems like those two examples the people involved were trapped in a certain area with no escape possible. In the Road people were mobile. I for one could not eat butt. Vegans can live in todays world eating twigs and leaves, so I can live in "tomorrows" doing the same. No thanks! Seems like a sure ticket to hell to me. I suppose if eating the recently dead and frozen might be the only exception.

In The Road, the Earth appears to be dying. No really much in the way of animals or nutritional plants. Of course if that were the case, there really isn't much point to long term survival when it's only going to get worse.

In The Road, the Earth appears to be dying. No really much in the way of animals or nutritional plants. Of course if that were the case, there really isn't much point to long term survival when it's only going to get worse.

Yeah, The Road isn't really a "survivalist" theme, since everyone is ultimately doomed.

Certainly, that would be the case, if nothing would ever grow again before the last people croaked.

I suppose it's possible, with the right placement and frequency of super volcano or asteroid/comet strikes.

- OS

Alot of people think The Road is about survival and it isn't. CM wrote the book after he fathered a child very late in life. The main theme of the book is simply a father's love for his son and (because the father knows he won't be around very long) his desire to teach him everything he can about life or what is left of it.

As for the cannibalism question, you can see what people are reduced to in short term catastrophes such as earthquakes and hurricanes. I.E Katrina. Now imagine being faced with a world that has pretty much no renewing resources. There's no animal life hardly, there's no plants, and what food is left is going to be scavenged and gone eventually so what do you do? You either die or become a cannibal. In my opinion if I'd reached the point where I had to be a cannibal in a world that was dying or just dying out myself, I'd just end it. In the book there is a graphic scene where people are eating a baby the woman has just given birth to. That's the end of the rope right there folks.

That's why the book isn't really about survival, maybe there's hope out there somewhere, but at that point it's very questionable. It's simply about existing.

Guest Lester Weevils

Health effects of cannabalism may have been touched on in "The Road" but can't recall. The book doesn't portray anybody in especially good health.

In the Niven & Pournelle classic "Lucifers Hammer", the comet-strike survivors who resort to cannabalism are in poor health from eating long pig. Picking up diseases from the food. Even if you cook stuff really well, such things as prions can remain viable and infectious. Also of course there would be health hazards exposure just from butchering and preparing for cooking, since the typical long pig would not be exactly healthy. The butcher and cook probably don't have access to modern sanitation, masks, gloves and disposable coveralls, etc.

Bugs growing on a killed deer or squirrel or turkey don't necessarily like eating people, but the bugs growing on long pig would like other people just fine.

• 1 month later...
It was well written. I guess dark would be the word for it. I just didn't enjoy it at all.

I can totally understand that. Honestly, it's one of the best "stories" I've ever read and I have a deep love for it, but I read the book once and saw the movie once. I can't bring myself to do either again.

I was on vacation this past week, and I read two books while I was gone. "The Road" and an old classic, "Monte Walsh". The main character died at the end of both of them. Not a real pick me up for vacation. At least ole Monte had a good life. The guy in "The Road" should have followed suit with his wife.

I just read this book, and I'll put my testicles in a meat grinder before I watch the movie. I don't understand some of the things that pass for entertainment lately.

I read a lot. I mean a lot. Probably >50+ novels per year on average. That said, The Road is classic McCarthy - incredibly deep in seemingly superficial ways and truly emotionally moving on a fundamental level.

His books aren't for everyone, but I've read 'The Road' twice now and will definitely read it once again in the near future. It's a beautifully written piece.