Millionaires

Guest jackdm3

Guest jackdm3

There are 237 millionaires in the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives. That's 44 percent of all members of Congress. One percent of the public at large are millionaires.

You see how much out of touch they are with the working people that elected them? I would be very much in favor of a collective cleansing in the next elections if it were possible to uniformly back one NEW candidate for each office. How do we do that? Would a rush of newbies into Washington be a good thing? Might be the next best thing to a revolution that one of our forefathers recommended we do every 25 years.

Sorry for the rant, but the stats of the first paragraph are ludicrous!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are 237 millionaires in the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives. That's 44 percent of all members of Congress. One percent of the public at large are millionaires.

Whats your source for that?

You are right, our representatives are completely out of touch with their constituents. Washington definitely needs an enema in 2010 and 2012.

Oh,no doubt.

unfortunately it wont happen though :cool:

Life time or career politicians are the problem. They start out young, move up move up and move up, which I don't have a problem with, but then they stay, for years and years and years, become separated from their "home" constituents, and lose touch.

It's all over the Interwebz:

237 Millionaires in Congress - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

This particularly irritates me:

"...notes that "in some cases, [lawmakers'] wealth is being derived from the very companies that in many cases benefit from the taxpayers."

"The top companies at which members of Congress are investing, many of them are TARP recipients that have received billions and billions of dollars from you and me,"....

Guest GimpyLeg

"...notes that "in some cases, [lawmakers'] wealth is being derived from the very companies that in many cases benefit from the taxpayers."

"The top companies at which members of Congress are investing, many of them are TARP recipients that have received billions and billions of dollars from you and me,"....

Why...there outta be a law........! :cool:

I agree.

Guest H0TSH0T

i don't care the fact that they are rich, i care that they have bended the rules in their favor to do so, that is what is not right. further more its the bending of the rules and making laws in their interest that have screwed all the rest of us. But i can not be angry that they have wealth, i would like us all to be wealthy, but i can point a finger and say shame on you for lying , cheating, and stealing, your way instead of working hard, earning monies fairly, and helping others succeed.

on a second point, as an elected official there should be zero pay, it should be considered charitable, or public service....and the reward of such service should be knowing that you have helped, and served your community that bestowed their trust too do for the good of the community.

Guest jackdm3
i don't care the fact that they are rich, i care that they have bended the rules in their favor to do so, that is what is not right. further more its the bending of the rules and making laws in their interest that have screwed all the rest of us. But i can not be angry that they have wealth, i would like us all to be wealthy, but i can point a finger and say shame on you for lying , cheating, and stealing, your way instead of working hard, earning monies fairly, and helping others succeed.

on a second point, as an elected official there should be zero pay, it should be considered charitable, or public service....and the reward of such service should be knowing that you have helped, and served your community that bestowed their trust too do for the good of the community.[/QUOTE]

I haven't read something that refreshing here for a while.

on a second point, as an elected official there should be zero pay, it should be considered charitable, or public service....and the reward of such service should be knowing that you have helped, and served your community that bestowed their trust too do for the good of the community.

My thoughts exactly.The Founding Fathers discouraged being paid for their services.I even think a few were close to going/being bankrupt.I always thought it should be a privilege to serve and not a profitable position.

" I am apprehensive, therefore-perhaps too apprehensive-that the Government of these states may in future times end in monarchy. but this catastrophe, I think, may long be delayed, if in our proposed system we do not sow the seeds of contention, faction, and tumult, by making our posts of honor places of profit."
- Ben Franklin as qouted in The 5000 Year Leap.