Sig P238

hey guys....I am already at a decision, but, i thought i might get everyones opinion.

I bought the wife a new P238 a couple of weeks ago. When we got it home...I loaded it up with ball ammo and tried "hand" cycling it. It was very very "rough". If I OVER exaggerated the "snap back" it would cycle.

"Normal" hand cycling...it jammed every time. Tried gold-dot hollow points. Same thing...jam after jam.

Bought a new mag....same thing...ball and HP would not cycle by hand.

So, loaded up both mags and let them sit full for about 10 days. Went to the range today.....Same crap!....hollow points jam on every round. Ball ammo jams about every other round. Not really a jam, just wont stick one in the chamber...grrrrr. The rounds are "nosing" into the ramp.

I am not happy about this, because this gun is to be my wifes EDC.

She is not happy either.

I have made up my mind to send it back to Sig and see what they have to say.

Any opinions altering from mine?

Thanks...

Edited by titan14
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't have a P238 myself but have you tried a different brand of FMJ? I know it's hard to find a variety but...

So far my LCP cycles Fiocchi and Prvi Partisan flawlessly, about 250-275 rounds now. That's all I have to offer.

As far as hollow-points go, I wouldn't fool with them in a .380. They have no penetration and very little expansion.

Guest Tom@GunDepot

Try the Corbon Powerball for a HP they usually feed great :drool:

Also Speer Lawman 380 feeds great in the SIGS 238's

Edited by Tom@GunDepot
Guest Tom@GunDepot
I would definitely send it back to Sig and have them fix it. Since it is only a couple of weeks old, you might want to try and take it back to the shop you bought it from and see if they might be able to help you out

If the Dealer is worth anything they will call SIG for you and get a pick up tag sent and get the problem taken care of.

Try the Corbon Powerball for a HP they usually fed great ;)

Also speer lawman 380 feeds great in the SIGS 238's

thanks Tom....but...I really really have a couple of issues with that.

its a brand bew gun, should it not feed ball ammo period?

and, i dont want to spend 100's of dollars "testing" this thing, that is IF i can find powerball or lawman.....

I guess I'm just a wee teensy little bit PISSED about this....:drool:

So, hollow points are no better than ball ammo in the .380?

My understanding is that .380 hollow points don't expand much at all and actually have less penetration than FMJ's. In something like a .380 which is not exactly "powerful" penetration is key.

Google around for "380 hollow point". There are some tests out there on the Interweb thing.

I've heard the turnaround with sig is pretty fast right now, definitely the way to go. I fired one at owl hallow last week and had zero issues... someone let me shoot his and I didn't ask what ammo was using, but he has had no issues.

There is also a safety recall on certain serial numbers that you should look into... they can hopefully fix both at the same time.

Titan dont get too down on yourself. Just send it back to Sig and I am sure they will get it squared away for you. From my experience they have great customer service.

thanks man...i'm trying not to...but....i , we(mark@sea and me) finally find a gun that the wife can actually carry ON her and this :eek: happens.

I guess I am, well, sort of "pressing", thinking that she NEEDS this weapon on her at all times.

I guess I'm just thinking about the "what if's"....what if something happens and this damn gun is @ Sig getting "fixed".... I dunno...maybe I'm just paranoid....;)

Guest JHatmaker
I've heard the turnaround with sig is pretty fast right now, definitely the way to go. I fired one at owl hallow last week and had zero issues... someone let me shoot his and I didn't ask what ammo was using, but he has had no issues.

There is also a safety recall on certain serial numbers that you should look into... they can hopefully fix both at the same time.

You are correct about their turn around time. My P238 was one of the one's that had to be sent back for the recall, and it was back to me in about a week if I recall.

So, don't call them myself?...would a dealer calling get better results?

if the dealers really worth anything you need to take it back to them and they will replace it or give you your money back. You shouldnt have to worry about the hassle of being without while sig's fixing your gun. I'd take it back to the dealer and give them the oportunity to make it right first.

Well...I got a SLAP in the face from Sig today.

They sent the gun back with the statement...." Customer problems can not be replicated.".....

WTH do i do now???????????

I am having similar problems with Sig's customer service. I sent a gun to them because of unusual wear on the chamber. The slide had put jagged gouges on it when I fired the gun. It is a new gun with 100 rounds through it. I sent it to Sig. The work order said replaced barrel, fired it with no malfunctions. When I looked at the returned product the gunsmith had just taken a drimmel tool to it. The gouges are still there. There are marks from the drimmel and it is unevenly filed down. One corner is looks like it got hit the hardest by the sander. It wasn't even affected by the initial wear pattern.

Needless to say I have been pretty pissed. Sig didn't want to help me with the issue. I contacted the shop, who contacted their rep, and now I am getting the new barrel that should have been installed from the beginning. They are supposed to throw in a trigger job and night sights for the trouble.

I really expected better from Sig's repair shop. I could have done a better quality job than they did. I haven't heard back from the customer service rep I contacted about the returned product. This will probably be my first and last Sig.

This will probably be my first and last Sig.

I'm about to come to the same conclusion, BUT (a HUGE but), this gun is freakin perfect for the wife to carry ON her. Damn! I really wanted this gun to work. Now, i will NEVER trust it.....GRRRRRRRRRRRR

Dude,

Take it to the range and film yourself shooting it and then when it jams show it to the camera. Let the camera see many angles of the jam. Do this several times and send the DVD with the gun to Sig. They will fix it.

Great idea Tim!!!!!!!!!!....thanks bro.

I'm going to pick it up from the dealer Saturday. I'm gonna run another box through it. I'll be sure to take the camera with me.

mine feeds every thing after i ran about 400 rounds through it. i still have to send it in for the recall witch is the updated mag and the safety recall my gun is very very nail driver on the head love it . but still hate to have to send it back to sig.