My kid's friend is not allowed to come over any more...

Guest oldsmobile98
Comment:

That's why I married an east TN woman - same dimensions, height, weight, etc. as Marilyn Monroe. Red hair. Can cook. Has a HCP and carries. Can shoot man-sized targets at 500 yards consistently with a rifle. Prefers Glocks, M1 Carbines and AR15's. Only thing wrong with her is her eyesight - she married me! :)

This hurts me to read... girls of this type are as scarce as hen's teeth at my school. Grew up in East TN, and would go back and smack myself around if I had a time machine.

And yes, I am looking for someone with similar eyesight problems...

invite him and his son to the range. Never know might just surprise you and get hooked.

+1. I would guess that this changes at least as many minds as does logical explanation. We humans are funny like that.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure most here have run into this sort of thing. I will say that this attitude is a bit new to me, as it isn't a common way of thinking back up in the hills of East. Tn where we are from from.

Actually, I've never had that exact thing happen, but here's a good one. I was with a bunch of friends from work eating lunch at a Mexican restaurant in Oak Ridge about a year ago. There was a guy that somebody brought along who normally doesn't run around with these guys and when the conversation turned to guns he found out that I had a carry permit. He said "you mean, you actually carry a gun around with you in department stores?". He just stared at me with his mouth open. What he didn't realize was that he was surrounded by about 8 guys that all have HCP's. Ha. By the end of lunch we almost had him convinced that carrying a gun was a good thing. Maybe, maybe not...but at least he stopped his silly questions. Oh, and by the way...when he asked why I carry a gun, I repeated what a friend told me one time... "because I can".

Later, B

I'm in NE TN, too, and I have seen a few of these folks. I always tell them that there is a two-word phrase for them: future victim. My situation is very similar. I have loved guns all my life. My dad got me my first shotgun for Christmas when I was 12. I still have it (Winchester Model 37, single shot 12 gauge). I really loved being in the army, because I had access to nearly every weapon on the planet. But then I married a girl who was born in Flushing, Queens, and raised in Austin, TX. Guns were a big no-no to her, and I could not convince her to let me have any in the house. Something happened locally a few years ago, and I ended up buying a .380 to keep in the house, whether she liked it or not! Then, last November, she changed her mind! I was instructed to buy as many firearms as I pleased, and plenty of ammo. I was also instructed to teach her and our son how to shoot. I now have several handguns and long guns. She and I are BOTH waiting on our HCP's to arrive, and since Christmas is approaching, and our son is 12, there is a Stephens 20 gauge ready to be wrapped and put under the tree for him. We also joined the local rod and gun club so that we can go shooting whenever we want, 24/7/365. I have also taken her dad to the range, and he loved it so much that he went out and got his own .22LR to keep at his house in Austin! My mom has never been a anti, or a gun nut. Since dad was a trucker, and gone a lot, she has always kept a loaded Colt 1917 in the night stand, but never went shooting very much. Now she is asking me to take her to the range, and she wants me to take her looking for a smaller auto pistol that she can handle better than the full-size revolver.

Moral of the story, don't let them affect your mind-set. Keep explaining the gun lifestyle to them, and eventually something will happen to change their minds.

Completely valid point, and I agree 100%. However, I can't imagine anybody thinking I have a wild west attitude or anything like that. Trust me, I am not that guy. Quite the opposite in fact. After I had kids I took up the habit of walking into my father's house whenever we went for a visit and immediately unloading/securing any firearm he had accessible (Dad now locks them up before we get there).

I don't think it is a case of anybody believing I am likely to be irresponsible with guns. I think it is just hoplophobia. This same guy is a motorcycle nut - that is something I see as dangerous. I don't think he forbids his kid from going where there is a swimming pool, nor does he verify that the pool is 100% secure beforehand. As we all know, a swimming pool is much more dangerous to kids that a house full of guns.

I would love to educate him, but I'm not going to make it my life's mission or anything. I have so little tolerance for silly people.

About not trusting someone just because they have an HCP - if my HCP class did anything, it was to cause me to question whether everyone should be allowed to have a gun. :) lol... there were some people in there did not inspire the greatest confidence!

Ok, I am going to throw out a thought. Instead of all the smarta** comments, have you considered that this may be a legitimate concern for the friend's parents? Just having a permit to carry does not mean there is no danger in the home. I know several people that obtained a HCP that I would not trust around my children with weapons. Some have wild west attitudes and one, in particular, let having a permit swell his head tremendously. He does not secure his weapons and ammo properly, instead believing that no one would dare mess with him now. So instead of blowing them off, maybe educate them that you know what you are doing and that their child is safe in your home? In spite of our second amendment rights, the facts are that gun accidents do happen all the time and no responsible parent can just assume that everyone with a gun in the house knows what they are doing to assure the safety of visitors. Off my soapbox now....
Guest m2jordan

On of the things I liked about going to High School in west Knox county was that everyone in our group knew about and handled guns growing up. We had very few people like the Op encounterd that where arounds us. Of course that was in the Early '70's. Nice to know some things in Tennesssee haven't changed.

Guest Muttling
On of the things I liked about going to High School in west Knox county was that everyone in our group knew about and handled guns growing up. We had very few people like the Op encounterd that where arounds us. Of course that was in the Early '70's. Nice to know some things in Tennesssee haven't changed.

I teach high school.

I have friends who get ewwww and yuck if they mention eating venison in their classes.

I am happy to teach in a rural school. If I mention venison, I get a few new recipes and kids wanting to show me pictures of their latest killls. I've had several students bring me venison tips and jerky.

Gotta love teaching in the country instead of the city.

Guest Battzglock

Had something similar happen to me once.

Basically my "friend" stated that I was a liability because I carry. Now, anyone who knows me well knows I have carried since it was legal in TN...so I will use the term "friend" rather loosely.

My response was, "Well, I can understand that. Thats funny though, because of teh fact that you don't carry I rather view you in the same manner. To me, you are a liability because you can't defend yourself and you increase my burden if something goes bad and you are around".

We parted ways.

It is what it is.

I like everyone's responses....pretty nice.

I just got my permit (State of Florida) and my first gun. Luckily no one has responded to me that way (so far). I haven't really advertised it to the world, but the people that know have been pretty understanding, aside from asking me why I wanted to do it.

Now I just need to get myself to the range and shoot it for the first time. :)

He said "you mean, you actually carry a gun around with you in department stores?". He just stared at me with his mouth open.

Almost this exact scenario occurred in our October HCP class. We had gone through the basics (safety, nomenclature, function, ammunition, etc.) and were starting to get into the legal issues and carry methods.

A couple of folks in the class who were familiar with the "Rookie Wal-Mart HCP Trip" and I were joking about that. I noticed that a middle-aged lady in the class had developed this half puzzled/half terrified look on her face. I asked her if she had a question. With a nearly incredulous tone, she said "Yes, I do. Do you mean to say people actually wear a gun and walk around Wal-Mart with it ?!?!"

I said "Sure, Wal-Mart and many other places". She was stunned......"I had no idea". "Yes, ma'am" says I, "that's the Carry in Handgun Carry Permit". I spoke with her privately during the break to figure out what the miscommunication was.

I was thinking (but did not say, because I am a professional ;)) what the heck did you think this class was about ? Did you wander into the wrong classroom ?

Long story short - this was all her husband's idea.......she decided this was not what she wanted to do.....she left the class before we went to the range.

She....and us....are all probably better off. To paraphrase the Warden in Cool Hand Luke, sometimes there are people we just can't reach.

As to the OP........I agree with the comment that it sucks that your kid will lose the compnay of his friend over this.

If asked about why I carry a handgun, I use the analogy of insurance. Do your neighbors have homeowners insurance? If the weather forcast looks very good for the next week, do they cancel their insurance and then reinstate it the next week when rain/storms are forecasted? What about life insurance? If you plan on staying in your gated community this week all week long, do you cancel your life insurance because you think you will be less likely to die and then reinstate it next week? The weapon I carry and keep on or near me to me is like insurance. You hope you never have to use it, but it is there if you need it for your loved ones.

There could come a time, and statistically probably will, when it could save your life or the life of someone you love. And you don't get to pick the time or place when that will be. So I keep the gun just in case.

Maybe if your neighbors understood your reasoning for having a weapon on hand, they may change their perspective. I think the anti gun lobby has got people brainwashed into thinking that people who carry guns are all just wild west hoodlums, not rational, responsible people.

If you are in Tullahoma. Check out Hoselton Adventure. They have a new pistol range acouple miles past me house.

Thanks. That's where I was planning on going this Wednesday. It took me a while to track down a local range.

My whole family has permits except my 97 year old Grandmother but she figures they will get the ideal when they see the barrel stickin out the window( at her home of course) as for the country girl stuff, my wife cooks better on the range than in the kitchen TRUST ME. I dont think its just the country girl part but to that end my daughters wish list for X-mas for ole dad was like this;

More Camo

A bigger better real gun( she started with a bb and now has high end pellet pistol that I would have killed for and with back in the day)

and to go hunting with ole dad,deer first then what ever

Yup she is going to be a keeper but forget it cause none of your boys are good enough, you might say her dating is a llllloooonnnnggggggg way off say 31 or so unless I die sooner:D

I do know any friend I went to visit if I proclaimed that I was carrying and are you OK with my entering your house, the only question I think would come up would be if I had one in the chamber or not. I would then need to show it wasnt, not to prove anything but beacause they would have to check out the gun cause they might not have one of those, and you never hand anyone a gun unless it is checked to be clear and half of my buds would likley re-check for them selves cause you cant be too safe and if your kids see it is the proper way of doing things they will do the same as it becomes habit to them to see it and do it them selves.

Sorry I'm writeing a book but it is a touchy subject;)

Guest Bronker
Congrats! You've begun thinning out the nitwits that you unknowingly associated with. :up:

The goal for each and every day I'm forced to interact with others.:popcorn:

Guest mikedwood

I would act just as shocked if not more so that the kids father doesn't carry or have any firearms at all to protect his family. Doesn't he care about them?

Completely valid point, and I agree 100%. However, I can't imagine anybody thinking I have a wild west attitude or anything like that. Trust me, I am not that guy. Quite the opposite in fact. After I had kids I took up the habit of walking into my father's house whenever we went for a visit and immediately unloading/securing any firearm he had accessible (Dad now locks them up before we get there).

I don't think it is a case of anybody believing I am likely to be irresponsible with guns. I think it is just hoplophobia. This same guy is a motorcycle nut - that is something I see as dangerous. I don't think he forbids his kid from going where there is a swimming pool, nor does he verify that the pool is 100% secure beforehand. As we all know, a swimming pool is much more dangerous to kids that a house full of guns.

I would love to educate him, but I'm not going to make it my life's mission or anything. I have so little tolerance for silly people.

About not trusting someone just because they have an HCP - if my HCP class did anything, it was to cause me to question whether everyone should be allowed to have a gun. :popcorn: lol... there were some people in there did not inspire the greatest confidence!

Organ donor, huh?

It sucks because of the media's portrayal of those awful GUNS. Back in the 17, 18, and early 1900's guns were a way of life. It was a means to defend, protect, and survive. Now everyone sees guns and violence as proportional factors. Movies, gangs, and even wars have all tarnished the gun's reputation. People are evil, not guns. Unfortunately sheeple will never realize this. Your friends/neighbors have rights to their opinions/wishes, no matter how misdirected they are. Your upstanding responsibility to keep their kids safe from your guns means moot to someone whose views are founded on ignorance.

It sucks because of the media's portrayal of those awful GUNS. Back in the 17, 18, and early 1900's guns were a way of life. It was a means to defend, protect, and survive. Now everyone sees guns and violence as proportional factors. Movies, gangs, and even wars have all tarnished the gun's reputation. People are evil, not guns. Unfortunately sheeple will never realize this. Your friends/neighbors have rights to their opinions/wishes, no matter how misdirected they are. Your upstanding responsibility to keep their kids safe from your guns means moot to someone whose views are founded on ignorance.

Give 'em credit; the antigun types, with the almost complete complicity of the media, have done a magnificent job creating a massive degree of hoplophobia in much of the general population. As in most cases that follow this template the idea is pretty simple...keep people as ignorant as possible, suppress as best you can that which doesn't support your ideology and boost that which does. NEVER let facts or rationality get in the way.

Sadly, it's a pretty darned effective technique.

The Brady folks have done an excellent job selling the kool-aid to the masses. Most believe their crazy statistic about how many kids are killed every day with guns. The fact is that if you back the gang-bangers and drug-deals-gone-bad out of the numbers, my swimming pool is statistically thousands of times more dangerous to the neighbor kids than my guns.

The Brady folks have done an excellent job selling the kool-aid to the masses. Most believe their crazy statistic about how many kids are killed every day with guns. The fact is that if you back the gang-bangers and drug-deals-gone-bad out of the numbers, my swimming pool is statistically thousands of times more dangerous to the neighbor kids than my guns.

Can't find the source, but I've heard that more kids die by drowinging in 5 gallon buckets each year than by gun accidents.

First off I find it unfortunate that the parents feel that way. It does nothing but punish the children with such close minded and ignorant behaviors.

Second, they don't sound like the type of people I would want my children exposed to.

I would continue to make the invitation regardless. Let them be the bad guys and fight the battle on their own.

I have been fortunate and only expeirenced this attitude a few times. The last time a friends wife said that she was afraid to be around someone that carried a handgun. I asked her who she would rather have a gun next time we all went out, me - or the crack head demanding her purse?