Best .22 Can on MKIII / Please add Pictures

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Define best... Easy to clean, quietest, cheapest... So many options. I have a TAC65, Spectre and a Silencerco Sparrow. I prefer to use the Sparrow, for it is quieter than my TAC, lighter than my Spectre, and very easy to take apart to clean. It also sounds the same to my ears when compared to the Spectre.

I will say avoid the Mites (a buddy owns one), they are quite loud when compared to anything else.

22-45-suppressed.jpg

To me, having one that comes apart easy is more important than best suppression. I shoot more with a suppressor now than ever before, for now I do not dread taking the darn thing apart. Whatever you get, get something that comes apart easy. Silencerco wins in that department hands down. I have seen the Elements, but never heard one. Being roughly 2dB quieter than my Spectre and it sounding similar to my Sparrow to me, I would think if there is any difference to the human ear it will be slight and in the tone. Every can sounds different on different hosts, and everyone's hearing is different. Best advice I can give is try before you buy. Find an individual near you that will let you try different things they have, or a dealer that will do demos. If you lived near me, I would let you try first hand what I have.

I shoot maybe 3-5k of .22 every year. Have you ever had to take a wood dowel and had to beat the baffles out of a suppressor to clean it? It blows goats, I'm here to tell you, and that is after less than 500 rounds through it. Having to use special tools to take one apart is an aggravation to me, but at least I don't have to beat the baffles out of the Spectre. I can take the Sparrow apart in less then 5 seconds regardless of how many rounds have been through it. I am very happy with what I have and use most frequently.

The Pac-Lites hold up great, I have a couple of them & have zero complaints. They see a lot of use.

I have a table top blasting cabinet & use glass beads, so they are easy for me to clean the lead off of them. It takes more time to take the Spectre apart, but it does come apart reasonably well. The Spectre is all stainless steel, and rated for 17HMR & full auto 22 (I bought it to suppress 22mag & 17HMR primarily). The Sparrow is rated only for 22, but is full auto rated as well. It is aluminum with a hard anodized coating.

You can use "the dip" with the Spectre since it is stainless to remove lead buildup, but not the Sparrow. I do not recomend using the dip at all though, it is hazardous for your health.

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

Keep in mind the ratings on that sight are not weighted. Weighted dB. ratings take into account how the human ear actually perceives the volume of a sound. It's late and I am to tired to type much more but will add more later, until then I will say that my favorite on the market is....

The SWR Spectre. It is overbuilt, quiet, take-apart design, and it was good enough to be my choice. I know where you can buy them new for $400

BTW... I would not buy an AAC can, they make a great product but I have my own reason for a dislike of them. The SWR cans in my opinion are built better than the ACC products anyway, and every AAC can is at least $100 overpriced.

Guest crotalus01

Ihave the YHM Mite, and despite what others have said here, its plenty quiet for me. Also FA rated and you can take it apart for cleaning if that is important to you. Add those benefits to the price and you cant beat it IMHO...

Keep in mind the ratings on that sight are not weighted. Weighted dB. ratings take into account how the human ear actually perceives the volume of a sound. .

Are they not not correlated db vs. weigthed dB... if its the lowest dB would it not be very close to the lowest weight dB

If any one has more info on this it is very welcome.

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop
Are they not not correlated db vs. weigthed dB... if its the lowest dB would it not be very close to the lowest weight dB

If any one has more info on this it is very welcome.

The answer is.... maybe. Here is an example, let's say we have a bass guitar and a whistle. And let's say the bass plays the lowest pitch note it can,and a person makes a really high pitch with the whistle. If both sounds registered at 120 on a bB. meter what would sound loud to the the human ear? The high pitched sound of-course.

Look at the dB ratings then go to the silencerresearch, look at the bB ratings and then watch the videos posted of each suppressor. Pay attention to the tone of the suppressor.

For example the SRT Cheyenne (especially the XXL) sounds MUCH quieter than it registers on a meter.

Also take into account the...

Length

Diameter

Materials

Weight

Take-apart? (only buy a take apart can)

First round pop.

Edited by TwoLaneBlackTop
Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

Here are my top 5 currently available.

1. SWR Spectre , my favorite all around can on the market.. Take-apart, made of stainless steel, full auto rated, a great overall can. One of the more expensive 22 cans though at $400.

2. Elite Iron Echo "L version" another take apart stainless can that cost less than a Spectre even at full MSRP, and this can beats a Spectre on some platforms! If you could find a dealer to discount one this might be a great choice. I really liked this can but no one had them in stock when it was time for me buy. If they had better availability and a decent stocking dealer network they might be #1, these cans are the best thing to come out of Michigan in a long time! If I were to buy another 22 can for myself, it would be this one!

3. Liberty Kodiak, another great take apart can with an interesting monolithic core design. I don't know where to find really good prices on them but there must be a seller that discounts these. I prefer stacked baffles over monolithic designs but this is still a great can.

4. Silencerco 22Sparrow, take apart can, and a monolithic core, but what is so different is the clam-shell design that isolates the core from the main tube. This is said to increase life of the can (i still doubt it would outlive a stainless steel can but a good idea nevertheless) for the innovation and good all around performance it makes my list.

5. Coastal Passport is a good choice if you want a good cheap can. They can be bought for just $125 to $150, take apart design, as of writing the second best there is on a 10/22 rifle (beats my SWR Spectre bad on a 10/22) The passport likes the lower entry pressure as opposed to the SWR cans that do their best on a pistol. First round pop is a bit high, but the can cost about 1/2 the typical cost. (Not F/A rated)

Notice, every can I chose is a take apart design, and not one was an AAC. Despite my preference toward baffle stacks 2 cans on the list were monolithic cores.

Common cans I would not recommend include the YHM mite, and the Tactical Innovations TAC-65. They are not bad cans because to be honest none of the commonly available production silencers are bad, but they are older designs that can-not compete with many of the new entries in the market.

Also I will say it again, do NOT buy any sealed can, it's just not worth it if you plan to use it semi-regularly.

Edited by TwoLaneBlackTop
Guest TwoLaneBlackTop
Shhhhhhhh.... they might sue you for that comment.... ;)

AAC suit

That is among the reasons but there are others. I will admit they make a great product, but some of the marketing tactics they have used I personally find unscrupulous.

The SWR Spectre was the only choice in my opinion. My primary host guns are a Browning Buckmark with TacSol barrel and a Ruger 10/22. It is the highest db reduction for one. The other points that really seal the deal are:

-Removable Baffles:

It can be disassembled for cleaning. I feel that is very important because I like to keep all my gear squeaky clean. As we all know .22 is the dirtiest stuff you can buy. I also have found I shoot a whole lot of it when I can do it quietly and without hearing protection (more comfortable for long days in the back yard). I would never buy a tool I could not clean. Especially if it is intrinsically attached to a serial number and tax stamp - so therefore not practically replaceable.

-Multiple Calibers:

The ability to use the 17hmr and 5.7mm round is pretty sweet. That really makes it alot more versatile, especially if you do any small game hunting.

-Full Auto Capable:

I don't have the proper tax stamps at the moment but I may pursue that later. I would hate to have to buy another suppressor when I do that. The fact that they rate it for full auto also means they stand behind their products for "extreme use".

As a side note on any suppressor - be sure to take it apart and put anti-seize on the threads before the first use. You will thank me later on that one.

Just my $0.02.

RockGeek

I sell Gemtech, Surefire, AAC, YHM, etc.

For all of those Mite haters, you all need to put down the crack pipe.

Best price, easy take down for cleaning, and quiet enough for almost anybody.

Best deal in suppressors for the money.

Any questions shoot me a PM. I am a Class III dealer.

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop
Best deal in suppressors for the money.

The Coastal Passport cost less and beats the mite on basically every platform. The mite is currently the worst overall performing production 22 can out there. The numbers and sound recordings don't lie. I like many YHM products but the mite is no longer a serious competitor in the hotly contested market of 22 cans. YHM has however went the route of making nearly all their handgun suppressors as take-apart designs, this is a move in the right direction. All cans even 9mm and 0.45 ACP cans should be take apart in my opinion but most are not.

You carry some good names, I would recommend you look into carrying Coastal (makes good cheap cans, they have by far the best deal on a sub-gun can out there right now and the best low dollar 22 can) and SWR. Last I heard Coastal wanted more stocking dealers anyway and they are fairly close to us (in GA) also Liberty (another out of GA.) is worth lookign into, they have the quietest can for a 10/22 right now. Of the cans I have owned the SWR cans have the highest quality in terms of construction, material choice, design, tolerances, fit and finish.

One thing I will say is YHM is doing better than all the other suppressor makers is building up a reliable dealer/distributor network. So many places carry the YHM cans now (a good thing) the other names you carry Gemtech, and AAC have done well in the same regard.

SWR has been around for awhile but still needs to work on this, they have great customer service but don't seem to build up a large stocking dealer network that is needed to be on the top. Elite Iron and Liberty are new-comers but are seemingly letting them self fall into a niche among suppressor sells when they don't need to, they offer outstanding products as well but really need to work on the supply side.

If anyone was wondering, I do not sell suppressors. I do however like to recommend products that have impressed me.