The Upside of Being a Regular

I went to the local gunshop today. Let's just say they know who I am and I can never, ever take the wife there.

I had in mind that the next time I see an SKS in good shape for a good price, I would pick it up. I perused their rack, found one totally worn out Yugo with mismatched parts and two that had been converted for magazines (no thanks).

I was talking with one of the salesmen about nothing in particular and asked if they had any SKS rifles other than what was on the racks. Another salesman overheard this and told the first one to "get the one in the back."

He emerged with a barely used Norinco paratrooper with matching parts. Nice! It was dirty and missing the fixed magazine, but - imagine this - I have a spare. We had a discussion, I did the papers and left with it for $275.

Spent an hour cleaning it up, the spare magazine dropped right in no problem. Pending a range visit to check function and zero, I'm feeling pretty happy about this transaction.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$275?

I NEVER find deals like that!

Heck....mousegunner here on the forum finally sold one for less than than of the forum right here. Other than a microscopic blem on the stock it was in practically brand new shape with matching numbers.

It only took 6 months for someone to notice it after practically begging people to buy it.

Yes there is something to be said about shopping in a local gun shop. Sometimes the pricing may be higher on some things but their purchasing power isn't the same as the larger volume dealers. It's the favors and preferences like you saw that makes it more enjoyable to shop local. Nice score in today's prices.

I've been wanting one of those SKS that takes the AK mags, I've notice that the SKS are more accurate than AK !!!

+1 They are hard to find and come at a premium. I can't find a "D" anywhere. I thought all the paratroopers took them, but I called on a paratrooper yesterday and this one did not come with the removable AK mags. I'll keep looking. The SKS maybe a bit more accurate but much more enjoyable to shoot. I have two AK's and one of them hurts to shoot. I have let a few people shoot it and all handed it back. There is a bad vibration in the pistol grip that stings your hand bad. Kinda wierd. I'll figure out the problem some day.