Worth Reloading 9mm?

Guest CK1

Hey guys, I've been thinking of getting a reloading set-up for a while, but I've held off since 9mm can still be found for around $10 per 50...

Lots of guys have told me that reloading won't really save me any money 'cause I'll just end up getting to shoot more which is fine by me, but in the case of 9mm every way I add it up it actually comes out costing a lot more than just continuing to buy ammo... Am I missing something, do you have to buy a certain amount of bulk components to make it work out to be cheaper per round?

Mainly I shoot 9mm and if I invested in a set-up I'd probably start shooting more .45, but that's not really something to factor in since I probably shoot 500 9mm rounds to every 50 or so in .45, so reloading in multiple calibers doesn't really hold any value to me until I can get more rounds per buck in 9...

Thanks in advance for any help here...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 70below

Berry's double strike plated .356 $80.88 delivered

titegroup 4.2gr x 1000 4200gr (.6lbs) $13.60 ($21*.6 +tax locally)

1000 small pistol primers $35.00 (at gunshow)

129.88 per K (roughly 6.50 a box)

I'm assuming you have brass cased ammo you can reload, but if not add about $50 per 1000 (once fired)for the first 1000 then that cost goes away for the next 5 or 6 reloads. Of course, you'll have more initial costs, but the more you reload, the less that matters.

Berry's double strike plated .356 $80.88 delivered

titegroup 4.2gr x 1000 4200gr (.6lbs) $13.60 ($21*.6 +tax locally)

1000 small pistol primers $35.00 (at gunshow)

129.88 per K (roughly 6.50 a box)

I'm assuming you have brass cased ammo you can reload, but if not add about $50 per 1000 (once fired)for the first 1000 then that cost goes away for the next 5 or 6 reloads. Of course, you'll have more initial costs, but the more you reload, the less that matters.

Wow, awesome... Looks like you're a lot better at finding and pricing the components than myself...

Looks like I've got some thinking to do... Thanks!

i'm loading 9mm for around $5/50, half of what you buy from walmart. i use brass i pick up from range(s), lead bullets from Missouri Bullet and SPP anywhere I can find them. Single stage press around $110 (Lee) plus hobby factor and theraputic factor. I'd give some serious thoughts to reloading. JMTCW

Guest canebreaker

Cast my own bullits, molds and pot well paid for. So no cost for bullits. Lee single stage press, well paid for. The more it's used, the cheaper it becomes to reload. Buy primers and powder in bulk, cheaper that way. The last small pistol primers I bought, cost me 29.80 per 1,000 delivered. Over 3,000 loads per lb. of powder, less than 5.00 per 100 reloads. Just lots of free labor.

Cast my own bullits, molds and pot well paid for. So no cost for bullits. Lee single stage press, well paid for. The more it's used, the cheaper it becomes to reload. Buy primers and powder in bulk, cheaper that way. The last small pistol primers I bought, cost me 29.80 per 1,000 delivered. Over 3,000 loads per lb. of powder, less than 5.00 per 100 reloads. Just lots of free labor.

you must be loading very light. I use Accurate #2/4.1 grain which equals about 1700 rounds per #. What's your secret?

I reload 9mm for about $5.50 for 50. I saved my brass for about 6 months before I started reloading. I buy bullets from Missouri bullets $27 per 500 I usually buy 2000 so shipping is about $2.50 per 500. Primers at Bass pro (when they have them) $33 per 1000. 1lb of powder will do about 1200 rounds $20 per lb.

$.06 bullet

$.033 primer

$.017 powder

$.11 per round

The price of the equipment I dont count because its a hobby,And I could have blowed it on other things.

Time to reload is about 200 rounds an hour but I dont count the time cause, Its fun and relaxing.

All this and the ammo is better quality than factor ammo.

To me its worth it

The last time I did the math, I figured about $6.00 per 50 for the materials.

Last year when I started reloading, you could still buy 9mm for $6.99 a box. Now, I barely see 9mm less than $10.00.

If you have spare time and the money for the initial equipment investment, it's a great hobby to get started with.

So... Thanks guys, looks like I know what I want for Christmas...

Guess I'm leaning towards a Lee turret kit... Anyone know if this is the right move or is there another entry-level kit I should be looking into for getting into it (just a single stage or maybe other brand... of course cheaper the better, but something that'll last until I can afford something faster/better like a Dillon or something down the road)?

Thanks.

I am currently loading 115 grain 9mm FMJ for 9.5 cents/round (or $9.50/100). 4.7 grains of Titegroup, Wolf primers, and Precision Delta 115 FMJ. My 147 FMJs come out to about 11.5 cents/round.

The Turret Press is not a terrible start, but if there's any way you can scrounge up $300 more, a Dillon 550 will be well worth it.

It was recommended to me to start with a single stage press to learn the processes. Single stage will be more time consuming than the turret, but you need to learn to walk before you can run. If you go with the turret, progress slowly so you understand what you are doing. Even better, if someone will give you a lesson, definitely take them up on their offer.

I know conventional wisdom says to start with a single stage or turret, but I waited until a good deal on a Dillon 650 came along. I can crank 500 rounds an hour taking my time, no where even near pushing the limits of the machine.

So... Thanks guys, looks like I know what I want for Christmas...

Guess I'm leaning towards a Lee turret kit... Anyone know if this is the right move or is there another entry-level kit I should be looking into for getting into it (just a single stage or maybe other brand... of course cheaper the better, but something that'll last until I can afford something faster/better like a Dillon or something down the road)?

Thanks.

I have a Lee Turret press. I would advise you to get a single stage press first, then if you decide to upgrade go to a real progressive press.

Think after the new year I may thin the herd and just go for a 550 or 650... Something tells me I'll end up there anyways, might as well be sooner rather than later...

Thanks a lot for all the input.

Guest canebreaker

With the 125 gr. rn bullit I load 3.2 gr. bullseye. I bought it at reloaders bench before it went up, 89.00 for 8 lbs.

With the 125 gr. rn bullit I load 3.4 gr. hp-38. I bought at reloaders bench clearance sale, 8 lbs. 50.00.

With the 125 gr. rn bullit I load 3.3 gr. accurate #2. I bought 12 1# bottles on clearance at guns and ammo for 12.00 per bottle.

It's a light load that Flutterby can shoot about 500 in an afternoon with no problem.

With the 158 gr. swc I load 4.0 gr. unique. I bought 2 8# jugs when I first started reloading for 58.00 per jug. I still have about 4 lbs.of it.

I have the Lee ann. kit, called the breech kit now. With length gauge, sizing die and carbide dies it was just under 100. at the time, 1991.

I'm buying primers from wideners, wolf brand, 5 sleeves at a time. Hazmat and shipping, just to get cost down. But Champ's has cci's for 28 per carton plus tax. Not to far from the house.

I was buying S&B 9 MM box of 50 for $5.

Was that in the 80s.

Cheaper than dirt is $19.79

Click here to view a larger image

Ammo 9mm S&B, FMJ, 115 Grain, 50 Round Box Boxer Primed, Non Corrosive, Fully Reloadable

49 Customer Reviews

Our Low Price: $19.79

Have one to sell? Sell it on Free Ads

Was that in the 80s.

I remember in the late 80's and early 90's....9mm ammo was actually a bit more expensive then then it is now. $10-12 per box. People forget how hostile a gun environment it was then.

It lulled in price starting mid 90's - Dirt cheap until the latest fiasco.

Rinse - Repeat - Rinse - Repeat.