Tennessee Quail?

So tomorrow I'm headed to some lodge type deal with some guys from work to hunt quail. I've never hunted quail. Any last minute tips? I'm a decent shot with a shotgun, but have no idea how they fly. Do they dart or arc? Should I take a 26" or 28" ? Should be fun irregardless, but my boss claims he bagged 40 last year....;)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So tomorrow I'm headed to some lodge type deal with some guys from work to hunt quail. I've never hunted quail. Any last minute tips? I'm a decent shot with a shotgun, but have no idea how they fly. Do they dart or arc? Should I take a 26" or 28" ? Should be fun irregardless, but my boss claims he bagged 40 last year....;)

Well, you need about 10 each for a good meal. :)

Haven't hunted them in many years, but they generally go pretty straight in a 35-45 degree off the ground

If you or a dog jumps right into them, they'll mostly all go at once, but if you suspect where a covey is, you can ease up on them, the antsiest one will fly, then often they'll take turns, one after another, or sometimes in pairs. So if you see a single one go, just wait, or edge up just a tad to get another to go.

- OS

Those things jump up and scatter in all different directions in the blink of an eye. Focus on one moving away from you in a straight line and let 'em have it. If you watch more than one, they'll be gone before you can draw a bead. Maybe you can drop at least two. Even if you have a dog pointing, when they jump up to fly, it can startle you from the noise of their wings.

They are so delicious!! Beautiful birds too. Have a great time.

Guest Tusculum

Man, I miss those little guys up here in E-Tn. Thanks to all the protected birds, They are just about nonexistant here. Most people blame coyotes but in my area its Red Tailed Hawks. They have all but wiped the quail out and now working on the rabbits. Undoubtably the finest meal you can eat is any kind of quail cooked anyway. I always loved quail gravy and eggs for breakfast. Anyway I always used 7 1/2 or 8 shot short barrel double 1930s Savage Fox that my Great Uncle bought new, Passed to Dad who passed to me. 20 ga with 26" barrels. That gun has got alot of quail back when they were here. First time I flushed a covey I thought a silenced MG42 was on me. That sound scared the crap outta me, But id sure like to hear it now. Good Luck!

Reading this thread is a stroll down memory lane. Like some of the others, it's been a few years since I've done any real quail hunting. I went on a sponsored hunt a few years back and it was nothing like quail hunting in my teens, back in the 50s. The birds on this sponsored hunt had been placed in spots and seemed pretty tame.

Back in the "good ole days", like some have said here, they would scare you when they thundered off the ground! They have relatively small wings that are moving fast. If the whole covey flushes at once, they'll rattle you... even if you know they're there. You can almost forget seeing them on the ground in the brush, as their feathers blend in very well. You'll practically step on them before they flush... in an expolsion of birds, going in every direction. A good bird dog is needed.

Like others said, hunt with 7 1/2 or #8 bird shot, and if possible an improved cylinder (open bore) or hand loaded shells that have been loaded for quail hunting.

They are the tastiest bird I've ever eaten. Never ate pheasant, so I can't compare there, but they are delicious. Have fun, and take lots of shells!

Open choke #8 or #9 shot. Trick is pick out only one and stay on it untill you shoot

then you might get another fast shot in at a couple birds or covey. Watch wher some of them land and you can kick them up again if you let them settle in a few minutes.

Thanks for the advice guys, but I didn't get a lick of it till just now. :D We did manage to put 200 in the bag between four of us. My partner and I got 130. What a blast! Lessons learned - I need a 20ga, 12 is just too much. Check your choke, full choke is TOO MUCH. I couldn't hit squat at less than 30 yards, and the few times I did, the bird "disappeared". It did make taking those 70 yard desperation shots productive though. :) Easing up to them is the key, the whole covey going off in the middle of a reload sucks. I'm hooked, what a fun experience.

BTW, big thumbs up to Keith at Tumbling Creek Lodge!!

Those guys and the facilities are top notch!!

Edited by iyaoyas98
I'm sure you are gun safe, but knowing where your hunting partners are at ALL times is critical.

Brings back good memories.

We got into a big covey we were pushing, the action was hot, and I almost bought a dog. That was another rookie mistake I won't pull again. I was good about not "shooting down" at the birds, but two headed up hill and one of the dogs had pointed way up the hill, and decided to break off and chase the two flyers. The brush was too thick to see him until I had already pulled the trigger. Another second and he'd have ran right into a face full. :popcorn: Thankfully it didn't happen, and I refocused my awareness. A bird ain't worth a dog...

I think the coyotes or unrestrained house cats have gotten almost all of the quail here in Rutherford County. I have not heard a Bobwhite call, or a gathering call from a single quail in a couple of years now! Anyone else around Murfreesboro that has seen or heard any quail lately? I'd love to hunt some, but I don't think we have any left.

Guest Muttling
I'm sure you are gun safe, but knowing where your hunting partners are at ALL times is critical.

Brings back good memories.

+1000 They're bad to fly between shooters and other hunters, dogs, or vehicles.

I also agree with the previous comments. A shorter barrell on open or improved is what you want. Focus on one before jumping to a second.

Yep, we had an awesome day!!! It was a little cold but the dog and birds were both flyin'. Here are a couple pics. The first one is me and my son Christian and the second is my friend Jeff and my son again.

100_0846.jpg

100_0845.jpg

Congratulations on a successful quail hunt. That's a good looking mess of birds.Curious as to how you prepared them for eating? My granny used to fry them in a black skillet, on top of the stove, in the same fashion she did Southern fried chicken. Some fine eating there for sure. Thanks for sharing the pics with us. Now, we're all jealous that we don't have a quail hunting story to share!

• 9 months later...

I'd be curious at all of the opinions about what has wiped out most of the "wild" quail populations in Middle Tennessee. I've heard Coyotes, turkey, Red Tailed Hawks, Stray House Cats, and someone even mentioned Deer, don't understand that one. But what do all of you think happened? Just curious. I understand "Quail Unlimited" has all but shut down! It's terrible.

In the last couple of years while out rabbit hunting, I have seen a half dozen quail at most. I've been hunting lately around hundreds of acres of dried and harvested corn....not one bird! The area also has some "feral hogs" and I've read that those hogs will destroy ground nesting birds to eat their eggs. It's like candy to them! Geese, ducks, turkey and quail nest all fall prey to hogs!

Edited by wd-40