Want gunsmith work done

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't a 17 HMR nothing more than a 22 Mag necked down? Seems like you could open up the chamber and be done with it if you can find a reamer. I'd say most gunsmiths wouldn't have a problem with it as they re-chamber rifles all the time.

DaG

All that would have to have done is to drill and re-sleeve the barrel...this (believe it or not) can be done pretty easily from 1 sub $100 order from Brownells. Then again you would be taking away all of the uniqueness of that gun.

So yes - This is rather easy, but you will have a hard time finding a gunsmith who would touch a knowingly recalled gun.

+1 BTW, keep the box!

Oh I've got the box, all the paperwork, and the poorly made club. What makes me mad abotu the whole thing is I had a perfectly usable firearm, killed a many crow and tree rat with it, and now I'm being told it's "unsafe", that the 597 "will not handle the pressures of the 17hmr" you would think they would check this :tinfoil: out before selling a gun.

On top of that the day before I saw the recall notice I had just bought about 500 rounds of 17hmr.

And then they want to offer me a 200.00"gift cert." towards my next purchase of a remington firearm. Yea right, it will be a cold day in hell before I buy anything else made by them if I can help it.

You could send it here. Frank Smith is awesome. He did a heck of a job ob my sigma and smith paid for the shipping there and back. Remington will pay for the shipping back but not the shipping there according to his website.

Also, I sent my pistol on a monday and got it back on thursday. Pretty good turn around if ya ask me.

There is no turn around or shipping with this gun....that is his delimma. If he sends his $300+ gun to the factory they will destroy it and send him a voucher for $200 on the purchase of the new one.

The gun has been deemed dangerous and has initiated a recall (if you believe it or not) and will never be produced again in semi-auto form.

There is no turn around or shipping with this gun....that is his delimma. If he sends his $300+ gun to the factory they will destroy it and send him a voucher for $200 on the purchase of the new one.

The gun has been deemed dangerous and has initiated a recall (if you believe it or not) and will never be produced again in semi-auto form.

Exactly.

He would not be sending it to the factory he would be sending it to frank smith in texas who is a certified smith and wesson and remington gun smith. He would take care of the problem more than likely free of charge. WHO Knows.

I doubt it.

you misunderstood, I know he is a authorized warranty gunsmith. I was doubting him touching a gun that has been factory recalled. Call him if you think I'm nuts but short of finding someone to rebarrel this into 22mag I'll just hang it up as a loss and never buy another remington firearm ever.

There is a possibility of the cartridge not seating 100%. The guns themselves may be built well, but as a rimfire they often don't get cleaned or cared for as much as a centerfire. The dirt/grit/residue can throw the gun out of spec and allow a pretty darn high pressure cartridge fire out of battery. Can have a rim blowout...causing injury or blindness.

This is why it is only for semi auto versions only. The cartridge is fine, but just for single shot and bolt guns. Kinda sad too....simply because this will be the nail in the coffin for an otherwise great cartridge.

There is a possibility of the cartridge not seating 100%. The guns themselves may be built well, but as a rimfire they often don't get cleaned or cared for as much as a centerfire. The dirt/grit/residue can throw the gun out of spec and allow a pretty darn high pressure cartridge fire out of battery. Can have a rim blowout...causing injury or blindness.

This is why it is only for semi auto versions only. The cartridge is fine, but just for single shot and bolt guns. Kinda sad too....simply because this will be the nail in the coffin for an otherwise great cartridge.

So if I keep this thing cleaned good thenI should be able to shoot it?

You could send it here. Frank Smith is awesome. He did a heck of a job ob my sigma and smith paid for the shipping there and back. Remington will pay for the shipping back but not the shipping there according to his website.

LSG Mfg Home menu.htm;

Also, I sent my pistol on a monday and got it back on thursday. Pretty good turn around if ya ask me.

thank you. I did call, got an answering machine that said they were too busy to take my call, to go to their site and email them:rolleyes::popcorn:.

This was the info I had also. stay tuned.

He would not be sending it to the factory he would be sending it to frank smith in texas who is a certified smith and wesson and remington gun smith. He would take care of the problem more than likely free of charge. WHO Knows.

Well as stated before, taking no phone calls, just emails, so I emailed them, it was late so I did not expect a reply back until this morning (actually didn't expect a reply back at all but I'm skeptical),

I was all ready for the " not repairable, send it to Remington for your "coupon" excuse. But NO.

What I got back was a total shock and actually restored my faith in Remington as a company. Here is what Frank wrote:

Remington is doing an exchange on that firearm. Send us the gun and we will

get a new one for you in 22mag.

Word for word. So I sit here with egg on my face, I humbly apoligize to Alpha 7, for what he said was the truth, "he will take care of you". I will update again once I receive my new gun.

Thanks again Alpha 7

Back many years ago,Kodiac built a 22mag.si-mi auto.We could`nt keep bolts in it.I don`t know about a si-mi auto 22mag.I don`t think it`ll be any improvement over a 17rim fire.

they have been making 22 mag semi autos for years. The pressures are different in a 22 mag than in a 17hmr.

• 1 month later...

Update:

Received my 22mag rifle in today. Frank Smith rocks. Also keep him in your prayers. He has been in the hospital, don't know what is wrong.

So Remington will replace your 17hrm 597 with a 22 mag 597. :doh:

Correction: They converted mine to 22 mag. Even though they said it could not be done.

Edited by dralarms
More info
Guest BigShot
Too late for that. It's been rebarreled in 22 mag already.

Waiting for a collector value ain't any fun anyways...

ENJOY your shooter!! That's what it's intended for.