One in the Chamber??

Guest B_Carter

Why a holster on the nightstand?

Good question. I've always holstered loaded handguns if not at the range, so for me, on my body or on the nightstand, the loaded handgun is holstered.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were carrying a revolver would you feel differently ?.

now if the revolver is a double action, you can carry without a round in the chamber that is directly in line with the hammer. As you pull the trigger a loaded cylinder will line up and the gun will go boom.

Sort of the same with single action. Carry on an empty chamber and when you cock it a loaded chamber lines up.

Why a holster on the nightstand?

if it is holstered on the night stand won't it take two hands to get it unholstered?

I never have it in anything on the nightstand, but just put a catalogue or magazine over it so it is not obviously exposed.

I dont know if this has been covered but there is a flip side to this coin:

Carrying unchambered like you did, had you not seen it was chasing something under your truck and had gone to shoot the dog you wouldnt have done any harm or caused mental anguish to your young children seeing "daddy hurt the doggy". Be that as it may I do carry with one in the chamber...every 1/2 second counts.

Chambered (in a holster that will keep the trigger from being inadvertently activated).

That said, don't think you should be so quick to reach for your pistol next time a Lab is charging, might want to start with a kick or two first or else I'm pretty sure that'll be the last time you get to legally carry a gun, if not worse... Don't think you'll find many judges who'll consider a charging dog risk of imminent mortal danger or death and excuse you discharging a firearm, well, maybe if it's a pit-bull...

Guest dlstewart01
Chambered (in a holster that will keep the trigger from being inadvertently activated).

That said, don't think you should be so quick to reach for your pistol next time a Lab is charging, might want to start with a kick or two first or else I'm pretty sure that'll be the last time you get to legally carry a gun, if not worse... Don't think you'll find many judges who'll consider a charging dog risk of imminent mortal danger or death and excuse you discharging a firearm, well, maybe if it's a pit-bull...

39-14-205b

:death: A person is justified in killing the animal of another if the person acted under a reasonable belief that the animal was creating an imminent danger of death or serious bodily injury to that person or another or an imminent danger of death to an animal owned by that person. A person is not justified in killing the animal of another if at the time of the killing the person is trespassing upon the property of the owner of the animal. The justification for killing the animal of another authorized by this subsection (:P shall not apply to a person who, while engaging in or attempting to escape from criminal conduct, kills a police dog that is acting in its official capacity. In that case the provisions of subsection (a) shall apply to the person.

Guest B_Carter

Sorry... I dont agree. If a dog is charging me and I am in my garage with my kids. I dont think there is a judge out there that would disagree with me protecting my family....especially if he drops on my driveway or garage.

Sorry... I dont agree. If a dog is charging me and I am in my garage with my kids. I dont think there is a judge out there that would disagree with me protecting my family....especially if he drops on my driveway or garage.

Sorry, if you shoot the neighbor's dog on your driveway in a city neighborhood you'd better have something more than "he was charging at me". :popcorn:

Guest jackdm3

And yet the cops get this protection everyday?

Guest That Guy

How? With all the cases of mullings and disfigurements in the past decade. I can think of several. An officer wouldn't hesitate (much) to shoot a charging animal. How is an on duty officer's well-being a higher priority than a civilians?

However, all that is moot. I'm not asking for anyone's approval if act in defense of my family or myself; especially on my property, IN my home. I may go with the spray first, only because I can literally pray'n spray with little worries of collateral damage.

Sorry, if you shoot the neighbor's dog on your driveway in a city neighborhood you'd better have something more than "he was charging at me". :popcorn:

So we need to wait until the dog latches on to someone before we can shoot it? Where are you getting this info?

And yes you should be quick to reach for your pistol in similiar situations, because if you are not it could be to late.

Edited by Superman
So we need to wait until the dog latches on to someone before we can shoot it? Where are you getting this info?

And yes you should be quick to reach for your pistol in similiar situations, because if you are not it could be to late.

You have to have a reasonable belief that the animal was creating an imminent danger of death or serious bodily injury. A neighbor's dog running onto your property just doesn't get you where you need to be to gun down somebody's pet.

Just saying that you were in fear of your safety won't work in most cases unless there is something more to the story.

one in the chamber for sure.... what would you do if you went to rack the slide and the sucker failed to chamber the round.. at least if you have one in the chamber you have the chance to fire one round before using the gun as a hammer.

In my opinion if your not going to keep a round in the chamber, leave it at home.

I always have the gun loaded, when I carry. But I don't think that I would use it in this type of situation. But that is just because of the way I understand dogs.

Seems like you had a pretty big misinterpretation of the dog's body language. It would have been sad if you had killed it.

That said, if you honestly thought it was going for you or one of your kids, you were right in pulling the trigger. I have a friend that was bitten on the hand by a cat, not a 75lb dog, and she had to have surgery and has nerve damage in that hand. If you think I'm going to let an animal attack me or anyone I love, you're wrong. Animals are dangerous. Dog bites, especially, never turn out anything less than serious.

Edit:

Always keep a round in the chamber. You never know when your offhand is going to be injured or you are just going to be too slow to react. Had that dog got your offhand and bitten the hell out of it, do you think you would have had the presence of mind to execute a one-handed chambering technique while a dog was attacking you? The same thing goes for getting shot in the arm/hand, or if a BG gets up close and personal, could you quickly and safely draw, chamber, and fire?

Edited by Kelemvor
You have to have a reasonable belief that the animal was creating an imminent danger of death or serious bodily injury. A neighbor's dog running onto your property just doesn't get you where you need to be to gun down somebody's pet.

Just saying that you were in fear of your safety won't work in most cases unless there is something more to the story.

I have seen dogs chasing other animals and they look like they mean business a lot of the time. And if you didn't see the other animal and the dog was heading in your direction you would be a fool not to reach for your gun.

No offense to PETA but I would shoot the dog if I felt like it was going to harm my wife, son, or myself. I might try to kick it first, but I'm not going to get hurt or let my family get hurt by someone's stupid dog that should be contained.

Also, on a personal note, I've had my permit for about 6 years now, and my wife and I were robbed at gunpoint at Hickory Hollow mall 5 years ago this month. I was carrying my Glock 27 owb under a fleece jacket. I'm pretty aware of my surroundings and I didn't even notice these 3 guys until they were up close and personal with a gun to my chest and one to my back. I wasn't able to get my 27, but if I had the chance I wouldn't have had time to chamber a round.

I agree with everyone else, if it's not chambered then leave it at home. You will NOT have time to chamber a round!!