One in the Chamber??

Guest B_Carter

Guest B_Carter

We came home from church Christmas Program tonight.... I have two kids under the age of 3 and i was getting them out of the van (yes minivan, quit laughing). I was going to close the garage door when the neighbors dog (black lab) starting charging towards the garage. My wife freaked as we had kids in arms and I started to reach for my pistol. Turns out the dog was chasing some creature underneath my truck. Here is my ordeal.... two small kids in house but guns are well secured. After I mental revisted what happened tonight I realized that I was have pulled the trigger on this crazy dog and it would have went "click"..... no bang.....just "click". I have been very reluctant to have one in the chamber whether in the house, in the car.... whereever. I came inside and racked one in the chamber...I think I realized that if trouble did find me....I would not have been prepared. Do most people that carry also have a round in the chamber?.... That might be a dumb question but bear with me.:death:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Muttling

Based on previous discussions, I believe you will find that the vast majority of folks on TGO carry with a round chambered.

With young kids around, keep it unchambered and out of reach or locked up when it's not on you.

Guest B_Carter
Umm, haven't you answered your own question?

- OS

Yeah....but based on my experience it is always best to see advice / confirmation from those that may be more experienced in areas than oneself.

I like Muttling's suggestion as well.

Guest B_Carter
Umm, haven't you answered your own question?

- OS

That's why your 61 and I am 31.....:death: I am curious as to your suggestions. Seriously, I do see your post quite a bit and share alot of the same thoughts that I see from you.

carry a round in chamber. I was reluctant at first also.

but you have answered your own question. would you have been able to protect your family with your child in your arms? no. we carry to protect the ones that we love, and ourselves.

start carrying with a round in the chamber. you will get used to. and you will be able to protect your family.

on a side note, labs are great b/c they have a good rep for protecting their owners kids...

I keep a round in the chamber in mine. At first, I was somewhat nervous by doing it since it has no manual safety. I was afraid that somehow the gun might AD but as time went on, I became more comfortable with carrying a round in the chamber. My holster completely covers the trigger guard so I have peace of mind knowing the gun will not go off unless I cause it to. I would recommend carrying a round in the pipe just because you may find yourself in a position where you could not rack the slide quick enough or if your non-shooting hand was injured, preventing you from using it to chamber a round. I try to practice drawing from concealment (unloaded) , placing emphasis on keeping my trigger finger along the frame as I draw. I am thinking of getting some snap caps to aid in my practice. That might also give confidence in having a "round in the chamber" without the fear of firing a live round if I were to slip-up and pull the trigger during my draw stroke while practicing. Just my .02.

one in the chamber is the only way to go. now for your kids, teach them gun safety and you should not have any problems. it worked for me. and now i am teaching the grand kids gun safety. both my kids where raised around guns from day one and we never had a problem.

That's why your 61 and I am 31.....:drama: I am curious as to your suggestions.

Even though I've been around guns all my life, and have even, umm...carried some before carry was cool, I only really started daily carrying about 16 months ago - I admit I was somewhat touchy about carrying a semi-auto with one in the pipe, as had mostly owned wheel guns previously.

But like many advise here, the first thing I did, before I even got permit, was cock the weapon withOUT one in chamber and carried it at home, day in day out, and sure enough, it never tripped the firing pin by itself! This was with a Kahr with of course no safety whatsoever. Practiced drawing and reholstering a lot, etc. It just never went off unless I pulled the trigger, just like everybody said. :death:

I now carry XD subbie, which has the saving grace of the grip safety, which makes reholstering a completely no stress event, too, but I didn't switch to the XD because of it. I mainly felt more comfy with more rounds. But the grip safety was a contributory factor, I must admit.

But really really really, if you (of course hopefully not) ever NEED to fire your gun, then you need to FIRE it, and not indulge in some preliminary activity, even as quick as you THINK it might be to chamber a round first.

Seriously, I do see your post quite a bit and share alot of the same thoughts that I see from you.

Oh dear. Danger Will Robinson! :cool:

- OS

Guest B_Carter

Thanks guys....great suggestions. Its nice to hear that I am not the only one starting off a little uneasy about a hot gun in my "britches"....well I guess thats how I got two kids..:death:

Love my kids....my father taught me at a young age about guns and was very involved. I dont "hide" the guns from them as I dont want to create a "mystique" and generate extra curiosity. My daughter sits beside me when I come home from shooting and I am cleaning them and we have the same conversation everytime.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences.....

I carry my Glock with a round chambered, miraculously I haven't shot myself in the leg. I see an gun without a round chambered as being unloaded. Drawing and chambering a round, especially with a full magazine inserted, is more difficult than it would seem.

Fortunately I don't have any children in the house. If I did the weapon would remain on my person or be locked in a quick access safe.

Guest That Guy

My car has gas. My lungs have air. My guns are chambered.

I'm glad you came to this realization before it was too late. If you're not carrying with one in the pipe, you're better off with defensive spray.

I may be in the minority on this, but I have never been uneasy or afraid to carry with one chambered. It is a tool and it's only job is to go bang when I press the trigger. Even when I had my Glock, I tried to get it to go off and couldn't(not saying it can't happen). I even pulled my shirt through the trigger guard and nothing. I don't have any clothes with pull strings, so I couldn't try them. Just pay attention when you holster it and you'll be fine.

Guest The Driller

i heard a ccw instuctror say dont carry with a round in the pipe in case the gun gets taken away from you the bad guy cant shoot you with you own gun

i heard a ccw instuctror say dont carry with a round in the pipe in case the gun gets taken away from you the bad guy cant shoot you with you own gun

LOL Wow. I hope you, or nobody else actually listened to him or her. If I'm following their logic, might as well not carry a gun.

Edited by Dropkick Murphy
Guest bkelm18

The prime reason to carry one in the chamber: what if you are not physically able to rack the slide? Seems like you saw that. They say the loudest sound you'll ever hear is the sound of a gun going "click" when you needed it to go "bang".