Irony, thy name is gun store clerk

BryanP

Yesterday afternoon I visited a gun shop I hadn't made it to in the past. I won't say which, since they're a vendor on this site and it's nothing I haven't seen at most other stores anyway.

So anyway, the clerk behind the counter is pontificating to 3 guys in front of him, showing them a pistol. As he explains that everyone should learn the basics of how to handle a gun safely, he goes to put the pistol back in the display case. As he does so he proceeds to sweep the room, including me.

I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cringe.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Caveman

There is no excuse for that. This is a man that handles guns everyday all day. The actions of safety should be ingrained into his mind by now. I cant speak for everyone, but when I go to a gun store I like to think that I wont be accidentally shot by the clerk. Maybe I should think again.

Guest bkelm18
There is no excuse for that. This is a man that handles guns everyday all day. The actions of safety should be ingrained into his mind by now. I cant speak for everyone, but when I go to a gun store I like to think that I wont be accidentally shot by the clerk. Maybe I should think again.

Not an excuse, but I doubt anyone was in danger of being shot. Display guns are usually unloaded. This was more or less a breach of a primary safety rule than an actual threat to physical safety. But you are correct, the clerks should be very conscious of where they are pointing the firearm.

I've been taught that when handing a gun to someone it is proper handling proceedure to remove magazine and open the chamber to slide lock and that you should expect to have it handed back the same way. Assuming this was being done then the room sweep was bad conduct/procedure and you are correct to admonish him but there was probably very little actual danger.

I agree with it you it really looks bad.

Guest Caveman
Not an excuse, but I doubt anyone was in danger of being shot. Display guns are usually unloaded. This was more or less a breach of a primary safety rule than an actual threat to physical safety. But you are correct, the clerks should be very conscious of where they are pointing the firearm.

My rule is treat every gun as if it's loaded, but I was being sarcastic about going into the gun store and being shot.

Guest jackdm3
My rule is treat every gun as if it's loaded, but I was being sarcastic about going into the gun store and being shot.

It sounds like a vacation T-shirt.

"I went to (store name here)'s, and all I got was SHOT!"

Guest clsutton21
Is "pontificating" on some word of the week calendar? Everybody's using it on here lately. I know what it means, because I have a decent vocabulary, but sometimes simpler words can be just as effective.

This pontification has become ubiquitous.

I would have worded it more like: "This manner of harangue has become utterly pervasive."

Is "pontificating" on some word of the week calendar? Everybody's using it on here lately. I know what it means, because I have a decent vocabulary, but sometimes simpler words can be just as effective.

This pontification has become ubiquitous.

I consider your remarks the epitome of hyperbole. :screwy:

What period ar those from? Jurassic or Cretaceous?

They came from the same period as the Lickalotapus (the Bulldikeous Period). The only intact skeletons were found off the coast of Lesbia. Interestingly enough, the remains were found with the oldest known chain wallet and an Indigo Girls CD.

Guest jackdm3
They came from the same period as the Lickalotapus (the Bulldikeous Period). The only intact skeletons were found off the coast of Lesbia. Interestingly enough, the remains were found with the oldest known chain wallet and an Indigo Girls CD.

Dude! That's the loudest I've laffed ...

You're officially my friend, now.

Edited by jackdm3
Guest GunTroll

I can't comment on fancy words and all but.....I've seen this utter lack of firearm safety in gun shops as well. Its gun shop complacency. If you deal with guns all day long you become complacent. You "know" your stock guns are unloaded so you slip on the rules.

I do some smithing for a gun store and see a total lack of safety at least a few times a day. If I see it I'll call you on it. Employee or patron. I'm not high and mighty and certainly not Mr. Safety so if I were to do an unsafe act I would like to be called out on it so to learn not to do that in the future. Its courteous to be safe!