S&W 15-22 price check?

Almond27

I was browsing a local shop the other day and ran across a S&W 15-22 I liked the feel of the rifle and am interested in possibly purchasing one in the near future. I wanted to hear some opinions on the rifle, I've read up on them a little bit but wanted to hear from maybe somebody who has shot and or owns one. The shop had it priced at $499 which after browsing the web a little bit maybe too high? Is that a fair price or could I do better? Thanks for all your help and opinions.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 70below

Its maybe a bit high, it doesn't seem unreasonable to me though. I'll usually pay about 10% higher than I can get it for online with shipping and transfer. I'm fine with paying more at a local shop as long as its fair and reasonable, and the shop has earned my trust and business by being competitive and providing good customer service.

This past gun show I saw the cheapest at $479.99. Maybe you can see if they'll deal a bit, and do ok on it.

I personally like the feel of the Sig 522 better and just picked one up at Guns and Leather for much cheaper than the S&W at $389. I did get to shoot the S&W and had no other complaints other than I like the feel of the sig better. I'm at 650 flawless rounds so far. The Sig takes Black Dog mags which make it appealing as well... I just picked up 10 of them for just under $14 each!

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/long-guns/31348-sig-522-guns-leather-range-report.html

Holy Smokes, $419 is a screaming deal!

the only better deal i know if that S&W is offering it in the high $300s for military/police types.

I have this gun, and love it.

i've had the colt/umarex, sold it.

The S&W is an excellent rifle and i'm probably 1K rds in. I'm very pleased.

I understand that they have recently released a threaded barrel version which i would rather have. of course this is only a cosmetic thing....

At any rate, you are correct. it is a 1:1 training gun for my duty rifle. optics/light/etc fit perfectly. The other advantage for me is that this is a standard AR FCG (fire control group) and can easily be upgraded or made to match your duty rifle. It's plug and play.

Some things you may not know:

the recivers (upper and lower) are polymer (as is the Sig 522)

I did not find this to be a problem. most of the guns i own are poly framed

That said it is a bit lighter, 5.5 lbs i think.

The Lower receiver and receiver tube are one piece. It is a standard 6 position buttstock and by simply pulling the pin you can mount any buttstock on it you like. Put the magpul on mine to match my rifle, love it.

Also, the barrel is a Thompson Center Match grade barrel (according to S&W)

I would agree with this. The barrel is solid steel, not sleeved like so many.

Mine is damn accurate. minute of coke can w/ rapid fire at 75 yds all day long. and that's with iron sights!

just got better with the eotech or acog....

impressive little rifle. a freakin blast to shoot

worth the money IMHO

Holy Smokes, $419 is a screaming deal!

the only better deal i know if that S&W is offering it in the high $300s for military/police types.

I have this gun, and love it.

i've had the colt/umarex, sold it.

The S&W is an excellent rifle and i'm probably 1K rds in. I'm very pleased.

I understand that they have recently released a threaded barrel version which i would rather have. of course this is only a cosmetic thing....

At any rate, you are correct. it is a 1:1 training gun for my duty rifle. optics/light/etc fit perfectly. The other advantage for me is that this is a standard AR FCG (fire control group) and can easily be upgraded or made to match your duty rifle. It's plug and play.

Some things you may not know:

the recivers (upper and lower) are polymer (as is the Sig 522)

I did not find this to be a problem. most of the guns i own are poly framed

That said it is a bit lighter, 5.5 lbs i think.

The Lower receiver and receiver tube are one piece. It is a standard 6 position buttstock and by simply pulling the pin you can mount any buttstock on it you like. Put the magpul on mine to match my rifle, love it.

Also, the barrel is a Thompson Center Match grade barrel (according to S&W)

I would agree with this. The barrel is solid steel, not sleeved like so many.

Mine is damn accurate. minute of coke can w/ rapid fire at 75 yds all day long. and that's with iron sights!

just got better with the eotech or acog....

impressive little rifle. a freakin blast to shoot

worth the money IMHO

That's good news about the threaded barrel. I would be interested in mounting a sound suppressor on it if I had one. Looks like its time to sell the 10/22 and look for one of those!

Correction: The Sig 522 upper is all-metal except for the handguards. All 522s also come with a threaded barrel. One thing they don't include is iron sights... none at all.

Hmm...

So, I stand corrected! thanks Pal!:up:

just handled one yesterday, Sig 522 at Volunteer Ordnance Works. The receiver looked like metal, tapped it and felt it, rubbed it, petted it, sure seemed like polymer...

Guy behind the counter agreed.... but what does he know right?

that being said, I've read the Sig.com page on it, and indeed it stated Metal....

and for what it's worth, it was a damn nice feeling gun.........

very tempting...

if it was a platform i was already running, sig556, i'd buy it in a heartbeat.

and for what it's worth, i've had a lot of time behind the 556 and if those Germans could figure out how to put the charging handle on the left, i'd sell it all and goto this platform. it's incredible how robust it is, and how easity to strip/clean/etc....

it really is nice. both of em....

Guest Plainsman

I've seen them at Academy Sports for $449. The MSRP is $499 I believe, so not a bad deal there. I'm considering one myself. I'll have to look into that Sig 522 though!

Correction: The Sig 522 upper is all-metal except for the handguards. All 522s also come with a threaded barrel. One thing they don't include is iron sights... none at all.

ok.

so, went back and examined the 522.

also corresponded w/ another owner who has one.

You are correct.

the upper is aluminum.

the lower receiver is polymer.

just my opinion, but i think the Sig specs are a bit misleading...

they never mention the polymer lower.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Look and Feel of the Classic SIG556 â„¢ in Affordable .22 Rifle

SIG SAUER, Inc., the leading manufacturer of commercial, law enforcement, and military firearms fuels the demand for the legendary SIG556 performance but in an affordable .22 LR caliber with the new SIG522 semi-automatic rifle. Featuring SIG556 parts including a Swiss type folding stock and polymer forend on a durable metal receiver with integral Picatinny rail. The SIG522 provides the avid sport shooter plenty of action on a classic military style platform that give the look, feel and dependability of our full size SIG556.

Products & Services

======================================================

hence the confusion.

or perhaps i'm just ignorant to the german gun nomenclature. (probably it)

Isn't the sig 522, colt m4 and gsg all actually umerex products?

the sig 522 is made by sig usa. there were many early forum posts that speculated the 522 was made by umerex but it is not true. According to SIG Customer Service they are made by SIG not Umarex, GSG or anyone else.

My receiver is stamped “SIG522, SIG SAUER INC., EXETER NH, USAâ€