Possible AR-15 Trigger Issues

On every gun I have fired, the distance the trigger moves backward has seemed perfect. I just feels fluid.

However, on my AR-15 the trigger just doesn't seem right. The distance the trigger travels backward seems really short. The trigger also feels stiff.

I have done a function check and everything works just fine. But I'm a little worried about firing it before I'm sure it is working as intended.

I built the rifle myself so I don't know if I screwed something up, and unfortunately I don't have any other AR-15 to compare the trigger pull with.

Thanks for your help guys!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

AR triggers are NOT good triggers as a general rule. The single stage triggers that come in the parts kits usually leave a LOT to be desired. A couple of suggestions .....

Go to AR15.Com and look in their sticky posts. There is a thread there that shows AR assembly and has a ton of pics. You should be able to discern whether the trigger is in correctly or not. My first thought is that perhaps you have the trigger spring out of place ... not riding on top of the pin. You'll see what I mean when you look at that thread.

EDIT: Here's a link to the thread. EVERY person planning on building an AR should read this thoroughly: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

Also, I would suggest that you purchase a 2-stage trigger from Rock River. They are as good a trigger as you can get (for the money, that is). Brownells usually has them in stock.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Hidalgo

Reliability? Rock River makes, in my opinion, one of the best AR triggers on the market. Bear in mind though, this is a 2-stage TARGET trigger that I am referring to. Perhaps not the best trigger for a "tense" situation because of the long let-off and then the short easy pull. For the intended use that you have in mind, the trigger you have might be your best bet. You shouldn't have to dismantle the lower to see if the spring is in the proper place. The long legs on the spring should be resting on TOP of the trigger pin that holds the trigger in place.

After you look at the link and compare yours to the pics and instructions, it should be fairly obvious if it's not installed properly.

LOL ... those videos must be staged for the ease of taping them.

I have NEVER seen an AR trigger that was easy to push into place. Grunting is definitely a ingredient in that operation!

I can't think of a way that you could have it installed wrong and still allow it to work correctly. I would suggest this ... the first time you operate the rifle, put ONLY TWO rounds in it. "If" there were some scenario that might make it go full auto (I don't honestly think that is possible with the firing group you are using) then at least it won't empty more than 2 rounds.

Go shoot it. Sounds like you are fine and only have an overly stiff trigger.

Edited by Hidalgo

Thanks Okey,

I think I pretty much figured it out. I sanded the sides were the pins slide through the receiver and it feels smoother and less stiff.

I also had the tails from the hammer spring UNDER the pins for the trigger instead of resting them on top, I'm sure that had a lot to do with it too.

Thanks for the offer Okey.