Christmas catastrophe averted

Mike.357

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They DO have Live voltage running through them all of the time, the wires have to be shorted together to complete the circuit and allow for the current to flow, (this is what the burner switch does) in a perfect world you would not see this voltage until the switch is engaged, however if you short them together you will see live Voltage, (very easy to do changing out the element) I work on 4800 VAC, 480 DC power with more than 200 amperes of current displacements all of the time, everyone who does RESPECTS that high of voltage and current, unfortunately it is ignorance to household 110 VAC, 220 VAC that gets people killed every day, if you do not prove a circuit dead, you are asking to be shocked and perhaps to be killed :tough:

Guess I've always been real lucky. I mean really really lucky. Ok no more playing with stoves unless I turn the breaker off. Thanks for the heads up.

Final chapter

The heating element arrived yesterday. Pulled the stove away from the wall and cabinets this morning. I about could not believe the crud that collected underneath it and the muck on the sides. Good excuse to clean up a little anyway.

Piece of cake changing out the element. Took about all of five minutes. Probably took longer to gather up a flashlight, nutdriver and proper sized socket than it did to change it out. There was plenty of wire, no worries about it snapping back and disappearing in to the back of the oven. The old element was just about in two pieces.

All in all way better than buying a new stove. Of course that means I am not doing my part for the countries economic recovery. We are a disposable goods society.

Of course it means that I will aid the recovery in other ways, by having some cake to toss at a new toy during the gun show this weekend.

now to dig that frozen pizza out of the freezer....

Getting nervous here. We've had our house 10 years and I've replaced everything but the dishwasher. I have no idea how old it is or what the life exediency is. I guess when I find a flood in the kitchen I'll know. :eek:

I agree with TDR. Change the element if it won't cause a divorce. :) If it will I'd give in :shrug: and buy the stove.

Ugh, dishwasher, ours is leaking when we run it, I think it is the rubber gasket that goes around the door.. I can't tell for sure. Don't want to spend $70 bucks on a new gasket if it is not the problem.

$70 for a gasket that you can take back if it doesn't fix the problem vs several hundred $'s for a new one.

Then again, SEARS will come out and check it for you

for a price.

I just got to take the time and track it down, it is not obvious so I can't tell for sure. It is on my list....leaking kitchen sink faucet, slow drain in bathroom times 2, Leaking shower faucet in kids bathroom, carport light replacement.....and the list keeps going on an on an on!:D

I have one of those lists only it is more like

1. Finish remodeling sons bathroom

1. grout all tile.
    2. install wainscoting.
    3. install pedestal sinks.
    4. replace sheet rock
    5. paint
    6. install mirrors.

[*] Finish residing the house

1. remove all Synthetic stucco.
  2. resheath with OSB board
  3. install house wrap vapor barrier
  4. install new doors and windows where necessary.
  5. install masonite/synthetic stone veneer.
  6. paint

[*] Remodel the kitchen (complete makeover - new appliances, new cabinets, new countertops.)

[*] Remodel Master Bathroom (complete makeover - new shower, new tub, new cabinets and countertops)

[*] Paint

[*] Replace garage door

[*] Landscape.

Anyone want to spare a few thousand $$'s and some time to help out?

Edited by saintsfanbrian
Getting nervous here. We've had our house 10 years and I've replaced everything but the dishwasher. I have no idea how old it is or what the life exediency is. I guess when I find a flood in the kitchen I'll know. :eek:

I agree with TDR. Change the element if it won't cause a divorce. :) If it will I'd give in :D and buy the stove.

You will be lucky if it's onyl a flood. My last one quit, and started smoking. I guess my wife failed to tell it we are a non smoking household.:D

Dishwashers are not hard to change out, about the same as a washer.

I stay away from major renovations, ever seen renovation nightmares on HGTV?

Seen it - I don't mind - I always end up on top and usually close to budget.

Our last house was built in 1936 and had to have a lot done to it.

Our recent hose was built in the 80's however it has synthetic stucco which I will never purchase again.

I am pretty handy and used to work construction though it was commercial.

I hope by house vapor barrier, you mean that Tyvek or similar material.

That stuff breathes ... it is supposed to.

The only vapor barrier on a house has to be as close to the living area as possible.

Usually right under the sheetrock.

If you put the plastic on the outside of the house, your walls become mold and mildew factories. Makes for a toxic home that has to be torn down.

Getting nervous here. We've had our house 10 years and I've replaced everything but the dishwasher. I have no idea how old it is or what the life exediency is. I guess when I find a flood in the kitchen I'll know. :cool:

Although there are some that will last a lot longer depending on use, the average life expectancy of a built-in dishwasher is approx. 8-10 years.