Classifieds on TGO

Paletiger13

When did TGO's classifieds become part of the Benefactor thingy. When I signed up a looooong time ago the classifieds were free. I'm not able(financialy) to pay for benefactor status and was curious when this took place. I guess I told future members wrong when I told them to check out our wonderful forum.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When did TGO's classifieds become part of the Benefactor thingy. When I signed up a looooong time ago the classifieds were free. I'm not able(financialy) to pay for benefactor status and was curious when this took place. I guess I told future members wrong when I told them to check out our wonderful forum.
I don't know when the classifieds were limited to benefactors only. I am short on funds at the moment and don't have benefactor status either, but I don't begrudge the forum admin for doing it. I'm sure that there are a lot of people who just come here to use the classifieds, sell whatever they have for sale, and then leave without contributing to the forum. I see quite a few ads turn up in the classifieds here that are posted by people with 1 or 2 posts. I am kind of glad that they have to be benefactors now so that they can pick up the slack for me:blush: and help keep the forum up and running.:)
Guest Verbal Kint

That change happened several months ago. Caught me off guard also, as I had let my Benefactor status lapse at the time and went to post a classified listing. I had to re-up my Benefactor status before I could.

Know it sucks when you want to do something, like post an item, and you realize you can't... and I can definitely relate... but you and I have both been around long enough to appreciate the TGO forums.

I don't think the quality of the forums or how "wonderful" it is suffers from having the classifieds section as a benefactor perk. Everything on here is free, aside from that section and the benefactor / ready room sub-forum.

Do you truly think you steered people wrong, by telling them to come here, simply cuz they/you/non-benefactors can't sell their stuff for free? I understand you're upset to discover that like you did, but I hope you don't really feel that way. The content, people, and atmosphere make it top-notch in my book.

Just my $0.02. Which isn't worth even that in today's market.

Ah, yeah I wasn't downing the forums for sure. The classifieds are the only thing keeping me from being thrown out to the curb like the rest of America. I've been without a job since August and am down to 3 firearms, the other firearms helped pay my mortgage and all the basic bills. I think it would be nice though if some of the older members were grandfathered in on the classifieds.

Guest Verbal Kint
Ah, yeah I wasn't downing the forums for sure. The classifieds are the only thing keeping me from being thrown out to the curb like the rest of America. I've been without a job since August and am down to 3 firearms, the other firearms helped pay my mortgage and all the basic bills. I think it would be nice though if some of the older members were grandfathered in on the classifieds.
I just went back and read my typed words. Don't take it wrong fellas. I appreciate what I and future members have. I guess I got the Xmas blues a little. Bah hum bug

Like I said earlier... I completely understand where the post originated, and the feelings behind it. I've been without a job since leaving the Air Force... in July of 2008. And it's not due to lack of trying. Job market in my area truly effing sucks.

Christmas, let alone any other day, with 2 small kids... bills out the yang... divorce... trust me, I'm right there with you. If I didn't have a very supportive family, that offered me my grandparents house (that passed while I was stationed in Germany) I'd have been out on the streets (literally) a long time ago.

I'm trying to get my G.I. Bill entitlements in order and effectively rolling this semester so I can go back to school and utilize the BAH (housing) entitlements that it now offers. At least that will have some income coming in to repay my parents for the housing cost, and possibly some cash in my pocket. Meanwhile I'm looking at every possible job that I see that will provide a means of living... from security, retail, deckhand, you name it. Even looking at relocating if need be.

You're definitely not the only one treading water, and slowly sinking. Keep your head up, man.

--- Now Back to Your Regularly Scheduled Programming ---

--- Thread Hi-Jack Off ---

i hate to hear it man, good luck. i understand what your sayin to cause it does keep members from being able to buy some firearms even if they only make just that post its a gun i might want to purchase, but he has to support the forum some how and i think its fair.

Edited by m14man

I also don't have a job or the extra cash to upgrade to a benefactor. TGO has to offer something that is some value for people to fork over the money. I don't blame TGO or any of the other forums I'm on that does similar things. I also needed to sell a gun to pay some bills so I used - Gun Owners Club! - A Place for Gun Enthusiasts and sold it in one day.

As soon as I get on my feet again financially I'll join the ranks of benefactor.

You guys complaining about not being able to afford benefactor status...what do you pay for cable, phone (home and cell) and internet? Do you smoke, buy Cokes, eat out...? Can you lower the thermostat 1 or 2 degrees? Surely you can cut costs somewhere to afford the extra $3/month to become a Benefactor.

You guys complaining about not being able to afford benefactor status...what do you pay for cable, phone (home and cell) and internet? Do you smoke, buy Cokes, eat out...? Can you lower the thermostat 1 or 2 degrees? Surely you can cut costs somewhere to afford the extra $3/month to become a Benefactor.

Are you really saying that benefactor status on here is any less a luxury than the things you just mentioned?

Are you really saying that benefactor status on here is any less a luxury than the things you just mentioned?

Not at all, it's all about priorities. Personally, if one is hurting for money, I believe they should give up all luxuries, including cable and internet. Heck, I pick up ~10 HD channels w/ just a few coat hangers and a 2x4. No need to pay Comcast $60+/month. :koolaid:

Also, there are plenty of ways to cut costs on current luxuries if you must have them. Do you really need the high-speed internet...why not downgrade a few speeds and save $30/month?

I guess I'll eat my words if all these guys on here complaining are going to the library to use the internet.

Edited by BrandonTN
I'm just a new member here, but I have to agree with Good Steward:tough:

No kidding...

I am OK with the pay to play. I do it on several other boards. Most of the "memberships" are lifetime. For my case, I cannot justify the annual dues. I do try to support the authorized TGO vendors, so I feel I'm doing my part. Just my 2 cents....:koolaid:

Guest HexHead

I can certainly see the logic of the way David's set things up as a way to drive donations to help defray costs, and to keep people that don't participate on the forum from using/abusing the classifieds. But I also think that once you have a few hundred posts and achieve "senior member" status, the classifieds should be free.

I don't like that the classifieds section holds you hostage to donate if you need to sell something. I know that for some, when things are tight to where you're down to selling your gun, that extra $25 makes a difference.

I can certainly see the logic of the way David's set things up as a way to drive donations to help defray costs, and to keep people that don't participate on the forum from using/abusing the classifieds. But I also think that once you have a few hundred posts and achieve "senior member" status, the classifieds should be free.

I don't like that the classifieds section holds you hostage to donate if you need to sell something. I know that for some, when things are tight to where you're down to selling your gun, that extra $25 makes a difference.

Now this, I don't agree with.

David's website is David's website. He can do whatever he pleases with it, and I do not think that's "Holding you hostage". There are plenty of ways to sell a gun without doing it here. While I do think Benefactor status is a luxury, I do not see anything wrong with charging for it. I'm sure if someone was coming to your house and leaving your lights on, you'd like a little compensation for the electric bill. :koolaid:

• Administrator

Times are tough for everyone right now. Grandfathering people into evolutionary changes made to the site really doesn't make sense for several reasons, but I do want to see you able to keep a roof over your head.

I've bumped your account with a 1-month Benefactor subscription. Hopefully in that time you can do what you need to do to make things a little easier on yourself financially.

Times are tough for everyone right now. Grandfathering people into evolutionary changes made to the site really doesn't make sense for several reasons, but I do want to see you able to keep a roof over your head.

I've bumped your account with a 1-month Benefactor subscription. Hopefully in that time you can do what you need to do to make things a little easier on yourself financially.

Awesome!!!

That's great David!

+1 Great gesture David. The generosity on this board over the last few months continues to amaze me.

Guest HexHead

Classy move, David. :(