Urban Meyer Stepping Down at Florida

KahrMan

Florida coach Urban Meyer steps down for health reasons - ESPN

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida coach Urban Meyer, who was admitted to a hospital because of chest pains following the Southeastern Conference championship game, is stepping down because of health concerns.

Meyer resigned Saturday, calling it quits after five seasons in Gainesville and two national titles. He leaves Florida with a 56-10 record that includes a 32-8 mark in league play and a school-record 22-game winning streak snapped early this month against Alabama.

Meyer says he consulted with his family, his doctors, school president Bernie Machen and athletic director Jeremy Foley before deciding it is in his best interest to focus on his health and family.

Meyer will hold a news conference in New Orleans on Sunday afternoon and will coach his final game in the Sugar Bowl against Cincinnati on New Year's Day.

"I have given my heart and soul to coaching college football and mentoring young men for the last 24-plus years and I have dedicated most of my waking moments the last five years to the Gator football program," Meyer, 45, said in statement. "I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to reevaluate my priorities of faith and family.

"After consulting with my family, Dr. Machen, Jeremy Foley and my doctors, I believe it is in my best interest to step aside and focus on my health and family."

"Coach Meyer and I have talked this through and I realize how hard this was for him to reach this decision," Foley said in a statement. "But, the bottom line is that Coach Meyer needed to make a choice that is in the best interest of his well being and his family. I certainly appreciate what he has meant to the University of Florida, our football program and the Gator Nation. I have never seen anyone more committed to his players, his family and his program. Above all, I appreciate our friendship."

Meyer helped the Gators win two national titles in five years at Florida. He is the only coach to win two BCS titles.

A three-time national coach of the year, Meyer is 95-18 in nine seasons.

Meyer, 45, holds a 32-8 mark in SEC play at Florida, which is the top career SEC winning percentage among head coaches who spent five years or more in the conference.

Meyer came to Florida from Utah, where he closed out his stint with 16 consecutive wins. He began his head coaching career at Bowling Green in 2001, where he engineered the top turnaround in NCAA Division I-A football, showing a six-win improvement from the previous season. The Falcons rebounded from a 2-9 record with their first winning season (8-3) since 1994.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sgt. Joe

I just saw this myself......Scary in that it wasnt for another job and for undisclosed family and medical reasons....Prayers Urban.

He gave us an excellent five years !!!!!!!

"I say" Bring back the Ole Ball Coach

jeeze next year will be full of humble pie for us Gators....I really wish Charlie Strong had not already left.....that would be NO-Brainer IMO.

I am glad he did not end up with the ND job this time around.

ESPN mentioned that he has a cyst on his brain. But this was not related to that at all.

I wish him the best, hope his health gets straightened out.

i wonder who they will make a run at to take his place. I do not think the SC coach will be headed back to UF

Potential successors to Meyer could include Oklahoma's Bob Stoops, Boise State's Chris Petersen, Arkansas' Bobby Petrino, who was the other top candidate in 2004 when Meyer got the job, former Florida Gator and Super Bowl-winning NFL coach Mike Shanahan and former Meyer assistants Dan Mullen and Charlie Strong. Former Florida offensive coordinator Mullen just finished his first season as head coach at Mississippi State. Defensive coordinator Strong was named the head coach at Louisville earlier this month.

Louisville media relations director Rocco Gasparro said Saturday night that Strong had signed a term sheet with the school, but not a formal contract. It is unclear whether the term sheet would be a sticking point should the Gators turn to Strong to replace Meyer.

Charlie Strong is the guy........book it !!

Apparently he is not actually sick. He said that the pressure has been getting to him over the last four years and has been causing him to have pain and tightness in his chest. But his heart has been checked out and is fine. The pressure of facing Kiffin next year was just the last straw.:tough:

Following in a Long line of Tennessee Coaching traditions, could Phil Fulmer be the next coach at Gainsville? :tough::popcorn:

oh please, Fat Phil in Gainsville? he is more likely to end up coaching the Green Bay Packers than that, LOL

Come on, guys - do you really have to hope the competition loses a good coach so you can beat them?

Hope Urban's OK.

Whoever they get as coach I fully expect the guy to make a career out of whipping UT more often than not. Coaches change, beating UT does not

Check with Ron Zook on that.

who is Ron Zook? I do not think he is a real coach :tough:

At any rate 1-2 vs TN is not very telling. Did Zook beat much of anyone? How does one end up coaching at Illinois? LOL

Edited by Mike.357

I sure hate to see Meyer have to quit because of medical issues but I'm glad he was smart enough to listen to the Dr.'s warnings.

It will be very hard to get a coach that is any better than he is.

Fulmer???? He will be the Pope before he is the head football coach at UF!

Guest mosinon

whom ever get the job next is screwed, how can you follow Urban's record?

I suspect that he was looking for a way out. I couldn't blame him, he can't keep up with what he's done, from here on out everything is a let down except a national championship. Spurrier left for the same reason and Phil should have left UT for the same reason several years before he got fired.

I think Urban will be back coaching within a few years. He'll probably do well again.

Sucks for Cincy though, now the Gators will be all fired up for the game they would have likely been flat for. And I really wanted Cincy to win, they are one of the best stories this season.

Sucks for Cincy though, now the Gators will be all fired up for the game they would have likely been flat for. And I really wanted Cincy to win, they are one of the best stories this season.

Tebow and Urbans last game...i have a feeling that Cincy will be in for a looong game.