Cost of 4 year College in TN?

Guest stovepipe

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HexHead

You might want to consider saving some serious money by having them go the first two years at a community college, get an associates degree and then finish off at a University. In the real world, the only thing that matters is the name on the diploma.

yup the best thing to do is go to a community college first. im in school right now at Walters state community college and ill have my associates degree in may and its only cost like 1500 a semester for tuition plus books. so you can figure right at 2000 a semester. You cant bet that, plus you can get the lottery money and almost pay for full tuition. Im leaving there and goin to etsu next fall to get my BBA in Finance.

It cost me about 4000 a semester at UT without living on campus. I am staying at house with the parents and commuting. And the four year degree is just about out the window at UT, they want that extra year's tuition.

Guest jackdm3

You have GOT to make sure that whatever Junior/Associate's college the person goes to, your credits TRANSFER to whatever school you want to finish at. If I had to do it all over again, I would have sought a lot of guidance on the payscales of many career options and probably got everything at a two-year, if my destination was trade-related. For me, it sure as hell would be! I would be so much further in my career with money made earlier in life. At least I know how to compose my thoughts in the written form. :lol: "Yay!":rolleyes:

• Admin Team

If you've really got time, it will cost a lot less today than it will tomorrow. I know a couple of the private institutions in Middle Tenessee are raising their tuitions by as much as 10% a year over the next 3-5 years.

I'll second what jack said about appropriate counseling. As a college degree seems to have become the latest equivilent of a high school diploma, you need to either go economically, or really spend some time making sure that your future earnings will be enough to pay off you student loans. I know that my wife will never offset her student loans that she got at Vanderbilt while earning her masters (with a lot of scholarship built in) at today's Williamson County pay rates. She says all the time that if she had it to do over again, she might have skipped it.

That's not to say that you should skip it, just make sure that you are either really committed to the idea, or that you can justify the investment now for earnings in the future.

I ended up taking several semesters at a community college in upper east TN (nestcc) and transferred the credit to ETSU. Both schools were quite a bargain at the time. This was 10 years ago, but I agree with the comments above... the degree is worth more than the school name. I took a BS degree from ETSU to get my first job. After that my work experience landed my current job and I've been trucking along since. Unless you have a full ride scholarship to Vanderbilt I would consider the community college to 4 yr university route.

Guest jackdm3

When I was out of High School, I was thanking my parents for getting me into a 4-year school so I could step over the people in a two-year over school. So I could advance my career in a better way. I can tell you now that there is no way I would piss on anyone going two-year. I think it makes fine economic sense. You just have to know what you'll do with it after. My degree was in Video and Film Production at MTSU because when I went in in '89 it was rated in the top 10 in the country in Rolling Stone and was rated #3 when I left, but I had thought I could use that degree to be some 2nd Assistant on a good film crew (Or something modest like that). But I soon found out that Memphis crewmen don't make dik, and I struggled to do anything remotely like that and still have it pay something. To do over again, I would have become and electrician or plumber. I know that kind of work, but it seems too late for me now at 38, the way the process goes to certify.

Guest clsutton21

I pay $176 a semester with lottery and a special discount for being the child of a tenn teacher. It's about 600 before the discount. I go to TTU in Cookeville, btw.

Guest Drewsett

I pay roughly 4k a semester at MTSU without living on campus or buying a meal plan. That comes out to about 32k for the cost of the total 4 year degree...but that could go up or down depending upon whether you go to summer school...how many hours you take, etc.

Guest bkelm18
You cant bet that, plus you can get the lottery money and almost pay for full tuition.

The requirements for the lottery money are fairly strict. Pretty much if you aren't right out of high school, you ain't gettin it.

Edited by bkelm18

I delivered a UT Diploma to a young lady last week. I congradulated her for her accomplishment. She took her diploma rolled up in the the paper tube and said "for a $145,000 they could have at least framed it." She went on to explain she had spent approx. $36,000 a year.