Pocket Glock. Myth or fact?

Will Carry

I have heard that if you keep your pocket Glock in your pocket without a holster, that it could somehow discharge the weapon. It sounds plausible BUT, I have unloaded my Glock 36 and tried every way I can think of and I can't get it to go "click" in my pocket. I'm still working on tangling my keys inside the trigger guard and seeing if it will click when I take it out.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker
I have heard that if you keep your pocket Glock in your pocket without a holster, that it could somehow discharge the weapon. It sounds plausible BUT, I have unloaded my Glock 36 and tried every way I can think of and I can't get it to go "click" in my pocket. I'm still working on tangling my keys inside the trigger guard and seeing if it will click when I take it out.

Hey, Will!

On the somewhat rare occasion that I pocket carry, it is always a firearm with a double-action trigger, or at least one that requires such heavy poundage of pull. It's usually a DA revolver, and occasionally a Keltec.

I've never attempted to engage the trigger while unholstered in my pocket. I just assume that it can happen with alot more likelihood than with a DA. I'd be concerned most that it would happen when and if I reached for it and attempted to deploy it in a dreaded SHTF situation. Pulling it from the pocket would be the most likely time for it to happen IMO.

Then there is the lint, funk and gunk that it would get wallowing around in my pocket! Uncovered, I'm afraid it would get far too much dirt into the inner workings of the function mechanism.

Just my opinion. Good question.

Guest HexHead

I pocket carry my G26 quite often, in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. It disguises the shape, keeps it clean, prevents it from shifting and covers the trigger. Win-win-win-win. :confused:

I pocket carry my g33 sometimes, but I always keep it in a pocket holster. I also have put snap caps in my gun and tried.... an I mean TRIED very hard to get the trigger pulled an I can't. Its prob safe but its just nice to have it in a holster. Also when I do pocket carry I take EVERYTHING out of that pocket and just have the gun nothing else.

Most definitely fact. If you feel comfortable driving without a seat belt or riding a motorcycle with flip flops and no helmet, then maybe you'll like carrying around a loaded Glock with the trigger uncovered. Disaster may only happen rarely, but it can happen. Why do you think you carry around a gun all the time?

If you carry it in the pocket with noting else in with it, then the likelihood of setting a Glock off unintentionally is pretty slim.

However, if there's anything else in there with it, or you slip up and, say, drop your keys in the pocket behind it... well, you may just end up shooting your nuts off. :eek:

Safest bet is to always use a pocket holster, no matter what type of gun you carry.

J.

Guest Bronker
What are ya'll talking about? Guns don't go off by themselves!:eek:

I think it's when you put your matched set of 5 booger hooks in there to retrieve it is when it happens!!:death:

I pocket carry my G26 quite often, in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. It disguises the shape, keeps it clean, prevents it from shifting and covers the trigger. Win-win-win-win. :eek:

+1, Get a pocket holster and "Cary on". They are cheap and as noted by others in this thread, offer other advantages as well.

I think it's when you put your matched set of 5 booger hooks in there to retrieve it is when it happens!!:eek:

Or having something else get worked around because of the motion of a person walking, sitting down, etc. and pulling the trigger for you.

By it's self, the gun is harmless... Add people and/or other objects and things start to get "interesting".

J.

the gun doesn't really doesn't care where it's at or what the situation is. if you pull the trigger with one in the chamber it will go bang; that's the main reason i carry a g27. keep it in a pocket holster and put all ur other junk in another pocket. i envy people that can pocket carry the baby glocks.

if you're big enough to pocket carry a baby glock i'm not messin with you anyway

Edited by fastbs
added big enough comment
Guest HexHead
Write a letter to Plaxico Burris in whatever prison he's in. He'll be able to tell you all about a Glock going off in a pocket.

IIRC, it wasn't in his pocket but the waistband of his sweatpants. I think it was sliding down his leg and he tried grabbing it when it went off.

IIRC, it wasn't in his pocket but the waistband of his sweatpants. I think it was sliding down his leg and he tried grabbing it when it went off.

Well, any idiot ought to know the wasteband of sweatpants won't hold a handgun for long. My sweatpants can hardly hold up my sweatpants. I thought I recalled something about him adjusting it in his pocket but it sure could have been the waistband. Either way, sweatpants out for a night on the town? That ought to impress the ladies.

I don't carry my G27 in my pocket, but I do carry it loose in a fanny pack quite often in the summer time. I carry an extra mag in the same compartment with it, but that's it. I use a "Saf-T-Block" behind the trigger when I carry this way. It works great and I would recommend it for pocket carrying too. It "pops" out just as easily as hitting a safety.....you just tap it with the fleshy part of your trigger finger (you do not have to put your finger inside the trigger gaurd to do this) and it pops out the other side. I've been using it for about two years now and have no complaints.

Guest Bronker
if you're big enough to pocket carry a baby glock i'm not messin with you anyway

I'm 6'6" and 350 lbs. I can conceal a SWAT team in my pocket!:eek:

Seriously, when I wear overalls, I can honestly carry my XD40 subcompact in a IWB Don Hume leather holster, down in my pocket ---- comfortably!

Go figger!

I'm new to this forum and haven't had my concealed carry permit very long so I don't know much about how best to CC. I don't carry my glock in my pocket but the question was posted on another forum. I have a holster that can go inside my pants or on my belt.

I will tell ya'll that I'm thick skinned and I don't mind constructive criticism. I'm just learning about handguns and concealed carry. I grew up in the country and never had a use for hand guns. Now that I live in the megalopolis of Raleigh, there ain't nowhere to shoot but pistol ranges. I'm having fun with shootin handguns now and I ain't a bad shot. I sure miss Tennessee..........