Boar Hunting Rifle

I am moving forward on my boar hunt... contacting several guides and checking availability. I'm really looking forward to this and appreciate everyone's advice so far.

As I start planning, it occurs to me that this is an excellent excuse to buy a new rifle. So, anyone have suggestions on boar hunting rifles?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are hunting from the ground I would suggest a .444 or a 45-70, boar are tough mean ass animals and you'll need knock down power. From my past encounters while hunting the good ole deer rifles do not always work with one shot. If your hunting from a tree stand try a bow it just makes it more personal if their up close. Most boar you want have a long shot anyhow. However I use a 45-70 guide gun when on the ground. GOOD LUCK

Penetration > Speed with a pig gun.

Above advice for 45-70 is good, If you have one. Same for .44 or .45 pistol calibers.

One of the absolute best cartridges for a pig, believe it or not, is one that is sitting in 95% of TGO member's homes. - 12 gauge shotgun with rifled slugs. You aren't going to take a 100+ yard shot on a pig. You don't need to spend $500 either.

If you are hunting from the ground I would suggest a .444 or a 45-70, boar are tough mean ass animals and you'll need knock down power. From my past encounters while hunting the good ole deer rifles do not always work with one shot. If your hunting from a tree stand try a bow it just makes it more personal if their up close. Most boar you want have a long shot anyhow. However I use a 45-70 guide gun when on the ground. GOOD LUCK

Hard to beat a 45-70. It can be loaded from mild to wild. Even at mild with a 405 gr slug at 14 or 1500FPS I don't see it lacking.

The rifled 12 gauge is definitely appealing for the cost factor alone. I hadn't considered the 45-70... I'll look into it. I'll hunt from the ground so I want some serious knock down power.

Guest TnDeerHunter

I use 45-70 lever gun from the ground. When hunting from tree or tower stand I go back to one of my deer rifles, a well placed shot below the ear and behind the eye he ain't going no where.

I like your way of thinking in that this gives you an excuse to buy a new rifle. For me personal I have to throw in another vote for the 45-70. I've wanted one for a long time now, but haven't been able to justify buying one just yet. If I were planning a boar hunt I would definately go get one.

Guest BEARMAN

I use a .444 marlin ported outfitter with the 18.5" barrel now...but, the first boar i killed, it was with a Remington model 7400 chambered in .30-06 springfield with 180 grain core-lokt ammo, from the ground and with dogs, one shot thru both lungs..ran about 10 yards and fell DRT.

Place your shot a little farther back than a white-tail...they have a gristle plate covering their shoulders....or, head shoot him, if you can.

Might also wanna be close to a "shinny tree"....just in case you make him mad! :up: LOL!!! ;)

Good luck...and, you know your gonna owe us hunt pictures...for all this free advice! :D

Bearman

I also use .45-70, it's a good all around hard hitting round. Mine is a NEF Handi Rifle fitted with a RedDot scope. It's fast handling in the brush (with a shinny tree nearby of course). 12 ga slug is also a good choice for close up and/or brushy areas.

Guest colrmccoll

Having seen the night feral pig hunts and hunts from a 'copter down in GA.; it looks like a 5.56 or a 7.69 is adequate.

There was a recent thread with those videos.

This may be a teaching moment for me so I am open as to what the differences may be.

Guest billwilly73

A friend of mine works for Crooked Creek Hunting Lodge as a guide and taxidermist. I asked him what most people used on hogs and he said everything from .223 on up. He also said most people bring their deer rifles.

Make sure you check out some of the shot placement differences between hogs and deer. If you are using a 45-70, than you have more options. My favorite set up is a .44mag pistol or lever action and I shoot them in the center of the neck. The neck shot is a lot higher percentage shot than a head shot and I have never seen a .44cal neck shot pig take a single step. For years I would shoot them just at the bottom of the ear with anything from .22mag to 30-06, but I will admit that I missed a couple hurried shots and once hit too low blowing the jaw off. It took all day tracking to get a second killing shot. If you are taking 80-120 pound meat hogs, then the neck is perfect because you don't ruin any meat and you don't have to track. If you are a taking a 300+ pound trophy boar, then you can shoot to break the front shoulder if you are using a hard cast 45-70. Buffalo Bore ammo makes some awesome hog thumpers.

• 4 months later...
Guest 270win

A relative of mine got a pretty good sized hog down in south Arkansas with a 30-06. Folks in Arkansas can hunt hogs at night on private land...with dogs...spotlights...no bag limit year round. I've been wanting to go back home sometime to do some hog hunting at night with family if some folks at my kin's club can bring his dogs.

I'd probably just use my 30-30 Winchester so I can get another shot off quick. I use the Hornady Evolution 160 grain ammo...it's good stuff. The Model 94 is a good walking gun when in the woods...perfect for following dogs...I know I'd have a hefty handgun too and a friend with a rifle or shotgun. In Arkansas, I wouldn't rule out buckshot (legal for deer there) for the first shot alternated with slugs....I've seen deer killed up close in the thickets with that combo...should work well on a pig up close too. I wouldn't use a bolt gun b/c I want something to give me a quick second shot if needed....lever, pump, or semi auto when I'm on the ground with dogs..and if it's night time!