Late night TV

Raoul

What do you think should be on late night TV?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think should be on late night TV?

• Jay Leno
    • Conan O'Brien
    • Lock N' Load
    • Who cares

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a Letterman fan. But during all this mess at nbc Ive been watching Leno and Conan just to watch them bust NBCs balls. It has been very funny. I will miss it when the do the change over.

Maybe they could just entertain each other.

Isn't that what they're doing now?

They're all reportedly so busy taking pot-shots at each other and NBC that I don't think they really care if anybody else is watching.

J.

Jay Leno has been a scumbag since before he replaced Johnny Carson. Jay was/is a decent stand-up comedian, but sucks as The Tonight Show host. Many of his bits are rip-offs of far more original and funny TV and radio hosts. Remember, like all other late-night shows, there is a staff of writers who come up with the funny stuff. Jay isn't coming up with this stuff himself, and as far as I'm concerend, he doesn't have the personality to pull it off as well as other hosts.

The fact that people in the "business" are coming out of the woodwork and openly bashing Jay for his robotic personality and unoriginal show content really says a lot to me - he really sucks.

Jay has stayed on top of the ratings throughout the years only because he was blessed by the great lead-in shows on NBC. If it wasn't for the great prime-time programming on NBC, he would have had a chance.

Once Jay moved time-slots, it didn't take long for local NBC affiliates to start raising a huge stink. Those lead-in shows are so important to the ratings process, and Jay wasn't cutting it. NBC affiliates all over the country quickly began to notice sharp declines in prime-time news ratings, and many at far as threatening to take Jay's show off their channel and replace it with something else that would keep viewers tuned in for the local news.

If Jay, himself, was such a huge draw, none of this would have ever happened, and NBC wouldn't now be forced to move him to a later time-slot. It's all about the money, and Jay was causing local NBC affiliates to lose millions in ad revenue.

As far as Conan goes, he never really stood a chance in taking over The Tonight Show. Even though he became host of The Tonight Show - the biggest late-night show around - NBC still continued to give Jay the big name guests used to boost ratings, even though he was no longer in the prime time-slot.

NBC screwed this up, and the writing was on the wall from the very beginning. There was no way this was going to work like they had hoped. Now the question is, will they be able to make a quick recovery from this debacle? I say no. This has got to be the biggest programming blunder of the century, and it will take a lot to get back to where they were before. I wouldn't be surprised if Jay never gets the same type of ratings as he did in his original time-slot.

Carson was the last time I watched any of them. None of these guys are really

funny to me. Leno was okay when he sat in for Carson, but it just isn't the same.

If it isn't on Fox News, Military, History, or Science Channels, I usually don't watch

TV.

Guest HexHead

Leno should have done the classy thing and just moved on as he originally agreed to, to make room for Conan. His last minute decision not to retire as planned resulted in the 9pm fiasco. WTF? 19 years wasn't long enough for him? He hasn't made enough millions? Does he really need to push Conan out? I used to really like the guy, but I've lost all respect for him.

Guest mustangdave

Conan should go back to SNL where he came from...as a writer...I've never thought he was all that funny...witty maybe but not funny. jay should retire and go tinker with all his friggin cars.

They will have "The Tonight Show", it is a staple of what NBC is. They won't let that go. They need to do what they say they would do and let Conan continue. Get rid of Jay.

Well, I guess they could get rid of both and put Jimmy Falon in or Carson Daily.....ok. I couldn't type that with a straight face! They suck.

Guest HexHead
Conan should go back to SNL where he came from...as a writer...I've never thought he was all that funny...witty maybe but not funny. jay should retire and go tinker with all his friggin cars.

He was a writer on The Simpsons.

Guest HexHead
They will have "The Tonight Show", it is a staple of what NBC is. They won't let that go. They need to do what they say they would do and let Conan continue. Get rid of Jay.

Well, I guess they could get rid of both and put Jimmy Falon in or Carson Daily.....ok. I couldn't type that with a straight face! They suck.

Colin Ferguson is the funniest of the bunch.

I think regardless of what anyone thinks of Conan's humor, that he deserves to get what he was promised.

I also respect him for supporting the tradition of The Tonight Show in it's current time slot, and respect him even more for refusing to screw Falon into an even later time slot.

Personally, I've always liked Conan, and found Leno to be a cheesy comic who only makes safe and easy jokes.

When Carson went off air, it took the viewers a while to acclimate to Leno as well. NBC owes a little more time to Conan, at the least.