.22 Long Rife for Coyote & Bobcat

Guest swampcat

Guest swampcat

Need your opinions....Will a 22 long rifle hollow point bring down a coyote or bobcat at say 40 to 50 yards....If so would it have to be a head shot

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BEARMAN

Yes, but you'll lose most of them...because they will run off and die elsewhere, unless you have a good tracking dog to find them.

A very close head shot (under 50 yards) is the only guarantee for a quick, humane kill. Myself, I would advise against it.

A .223 and up,is the best calibers for the bigger varmints...and you'll still have to make well placed shots. :poop:

Good luck!

I wouldn't try it. You really need a .204 or larger, I myself use a .223 Savage and it does a heck of a job on them. Got 2 last summer one at about 60yds. and another at about 125 yds.

Sidinman, I apologize for getting off thread, but I have decided I need the same gun you're shooting coyotes with. I'm running ads on TGO for one now. If you'd be willing, I have a lot of technical questions about the gun, ammo, and coyote hunting. I'm close, here in Murfreesboro, and appreciate your advice. Thanks.

Guest BEARMAN

Alot hotter...yes,indeed! but, the biggest problem with the .17 HMR is long shots in a brisk crosswind...it will, and does, do funny things in the wind...like miss what your shooting at. FWIW

Guest Bonedaddy

Popped one about a week ago at approx. 125 yds. in the left shoulder. He's shown back up twice with a serious limp. Yesterday, he showed up again. I tried a shot at about 150 yds. with a .22 lr hp. I was shooting straight south and led him 6" high and 1' left for a chest shot but the 20mph NE wind push me so far right I just missed his rearend. He felt it cause he pulled a wheelie when he started to steppin'. Don't know if the following chase shots got any meat. We have pregnant cows around here so I don't care if it's humane or not. They take too many newborn calves.

That is why I like the 223, even if you hit it in the shoulder he wouldn't have gotten to far. Last year I shot one at that distance, he was jumping around. Hit in the hip didn't go to far to fast, got to him he was dragging himself away. Pulled 22mag revolver out shot in the head finished him. End of story, I've got cows also. Good luck.

Guest manofsteel

I use my .223 ar it is fun and effective. A sks with jhp is good also. If a .22 is all you have then protect what you have with what you have. IMO.

Edited by manofsteel
miss spell
Ok...so I am just asking to ask....

What about a 9mm carbine...like the Hipoint? I know it will kill the coyote, but is it effective for putting them down in 1 shot?

It has the knock down power but you really need a good rifle that will have some range to it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 1817ak47

we used to have some nuisance wild cats where we used to live and they picked fights at night(usually) and I had shot a couple of them with a 22 and neither died very quicky(ruger 10/22 istainless with 24"barrel) I had to use 3 shots to kill a smaller one, and a largeor one I am not sure where i hit it had on hte first shot as I was out shooting that day and the echo from the building made the cat run towards me so I did a quick point and shoot without getting sighted in, that one didn't die to quickly either, i belive I used fed 36gr hp both of those times. since all 22lr bullets are just lead with a painted coating of either brass or copper looking paint and aren't jacketed like most ammo, I have notcied little difference when shooting non animal targets. now how much difference would that be in flesh dunno.

another test I did was shoot 9m xd 4" service model into a 6"x6" piece of wood from about 20", and als oa 22 of the same distance, some of the 9mm ammo hit the bottom, the 22 only went about 2" and I ran a drill till I hit the bullets

Guest GunTroll

If they die.....it works. Dead is dead. The most humane.....prob not. But the debate over overkill has been going on forever when it comes to caliber,energy,penetration, etc. Dead is dead. You aint eatin em' anyways so who cares???

Most land owners like for "dead things" to be removed, by exhausting every means available to recover said dead animal. If a larger caliber is needed to make the yote "DRT", then lets use it. We as hunters owe it to the animals we hunt, no matter how lowly they may be, to dispatch them as quickly and as humanely as we can. Land owners finding wounded animals on their property doesn't bode well for furture hunting there. Heaven forbid some farmers wife walks out the front door to find some critter flopping around! It's good bye, see ya later! Lets not use under size under power cartridges to hunt our game. So to the O/P, I wouldn't use a .22 on a coyote. At a minimum....204! At close range, 12 guage with 3" BB.

Guest Republican

I will not go into best shot placement on small fast moving game. Assuming a body shot which is most common. A .22lr will kill but its not efficient and has little power much over 50 yards. We have all had to finish off a squirrel after shooting it with a .22. .17's are not great for bigger varmits either. A .22magnum on the other hand will work just fine even out to 100 yards. 223's and 22-250's are made for this stuff.

If you are interested in recovering the game, do not use a .22lr or .17.