C and R license

Guest last1is4me

Guest last1is4me

Is anyone else awaiting the arrival of their C&R? Here is my story. I ordered the correct forms from the atf website. So after 2 months of no show I went to a few forums and found a pdf form and downloaded it and filled out and sent it. Others at the forum said they had used it and received theirs. Well mailed it in around the first week in November. Watched my account for the $30 to come out which it did within 2 weeks(which means nothing really, they deposit the check first before even looking at the application). Still nothing after Christmas so I called for a status check and they said my application said pending. Ok still nothing on January 18 so I call again. The lady says its still pending waiting on the FBI's part. Well on Friday the 22 I got a envelope from the atf which contained the pdf application with a letter saying it wasnt the approved form. So it had taken some atf worker over 60 days to realize it wasnt the correct form because it was a printed pdf. Well they said order the correct form,,,heres the killer,,,While sending my application back why couldnt they have sent the correct one along? Any ways the original one I ordered were here and I have filled it out and have it ready to be sent back monday. At least I get to send it straight to the examiner and maybe it wont be another 2 1/2 months before seeing it. Sorry for the long post, but I just had to tell someone about my troubles.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The time frame for your initial application was one of the heaviest periods handled by the BATFE. The SNAFU with forms is just one of the necessary by-products of dealing with any governmental agency. I had a similar experience, only to have received my application back [after 3 months], because they could not make out my date-of-birth. After mine was in the hands of an examiner, it was less than 30 days. Total time = just under four months. Best wishes for a more timely response - you are certainly not alone!

I got mine in the summer of 2007 and it only took 4 weeks from the time I dropped it in the mail. Then a friend sent his in two weeks after i received mine and it took him 5 month. I say that sometimes there is no rhyme or reason.

I sent in my renewal for my C&R last week. I hope they renew it before mine runs out in April. When I first got mine it only took about 2 weeks. I was shocked because most everybody I had heard of on the internet was saying it took months.

Guest Catdaddy

When I ordered the forms, it took exactly ONE WEEK to get them- but they sent TWO not the four I asked for. Ten days after mailing, the 30 bucks came out. After one month, I called in- late in the day. Wasn't able to get through to the proper division that day but left messages. The following Monday was MLK day- Tuesday i got TWO calls from BATFE- one to tell me who to call, and the next from the person I was supposed to call!

She told me to expect it by Mar 1st- that would be right at 3 months from mailing the form. It is now "pending".

I intend to call again about mid-February.

After a long wait for mine, I learned the following:

Applications are processed in three stages - 1) Record Retention [handled by an administrator]; 2) Examination [handled by an examiner]; and Issuance [handled by a third party outsourcer]. The application processing goal is to be completed by administrators and examiners within 30 days each and then approved for issue. If an examiner tells you it has already been mailed, that does not mean mailed to the applicant - it means mailed to the issuer. The outsourced issuer logs, processes, prints, and mails the ID card, license, and notifications to the applicant. The normal processing time for this last stage is 7-10 days not counting weekends or holidays. These processing goals are only for normal applications, but often take longer during peak application periods of March through April [spring rush] and Nov. through December [Holiday season].

NO WONDER IT SEEMS HELTER SKELTER...IT IS!

Guest last1is4me

Sounds like mine is probably on par with that. Maybe it will show up by mid Feburary. Anyone have any insight on a good place online to buy C&R eligible firearms?

Guest bkelm18
Sounds like mine is probably on par with that. Maybe it will show up by mid Feburary. Anyone have any insight on a good place online to buy C&R eligible firearms?

AimSurplus and JGSales are two that come to mind. There are quite a few places.

Guest last1is4me

Im betting that will be the case with me also.Thanks for the advice on sellers.

How did you get your C&R to pay for itself? Mine's costing me a fortune! :rofl::)

I've bought from Classic Arms, and Southern Ohio Gun - recommend both.

Guest sammopar

why do people want bigger government they can't take care of what they have to do now! if we ran our businesses like the government runs we all would be broke!

my CR took forever seemed like, i didn't put collector on the right line it was sent back. Refiled and initialed sent it back. Got it again, GET THIS because i didn't initial ALL the lines in the whole paragraph !!

contacted the atf for the papers, how long does it normally take to receive the papers and will they come knockin at my door for any kind of site checks?

It only took a week or so to get the forms. If anybody knocked on my door from ATF, I didn't answer it and I still got the license.

Guest last1is4me

Maybe you will get yours fairly quick. The one I ordered arrived in about 3-4 weeks. When you send them in is when the real wait begins. Just be sure to triple check it and follow every direction exactly. I think they look hard to find something minor wrong just so they can send it back. As far as I have heard the atf doesnt do a site visit for a c&r.

contacted the atf for the papers, how long does it normally take to receive the papers and will they come knockin at my door for any kind of site checks?

I've had my license for three years and have never been contacted by the ATF other than the occasional update letter. I guess they aren't near as concerned about us C&R folks as they are the Type 01 holders

so after one receives their C&R license, you can have a Mosin 90/31 delivered directly to your door step? Same with all the older rifles?

Yep. Whatever address you have on your license. Order up and start waiting at the door. It will be like Christmas :rock: