Who Says 5.56 is wimpy?

Guest gcrookston

Sorry gcrookston, it may be an inside joke.

If you ever spent any time at ar15.com, especially a few years ago when I did, even before the paintballers took over, you might understand my jokes better.

There is a fanatical nature of their defense of the .223 round there. Literally to the point of being unbelievable. That is how arf.com became somewhat the joke of internet forums, moreso than most others, even though there is a lot of good info to be found there.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gcrookston

my wife accuses me of having too dry a sense of humor as well...

But when you quoted arf, you had me going... :eek: one of the forums I once had a similiar discussion on.... and was subsequently banned for (under another screen name).:D

The fanatical nature of arfcom and glocktalk is what makes them funny. You cannot have a rational discussion on certain topics because they see it as threat to their tribal superstitions, and the outlandish claims come flying out. Elk taken with an AR15 at distance, the glock19 that shoots 1\2" groups at 100 yards etc.

Granted, there is sometimes good info to be found at both sites, but the way the perspective cultists act is the reason for the laughter. It is so funny to see them react to any perceived threat to their opinions, and how they pile on and start screaming "troll" because someone asked a question whose answer might be offensive to their tribal superstitions.

A good example is the "point shooting" detractors and advocates at GT. Any and every thread became a battleground, and they seemingly thought the last word wins. They cannot pass an opportunity to trash the people and opinions they disagree with. That kills the possibilities of an informative discussion. There are some fine instructors who stopped posting at GT altogether because of this type of mentality. Contrary to the opinions of EP, it is not the site that made GT special (back in the day) it was the quality of posters, and the information they brought to the site. Those days are gone.

The fanatical nature of arfcom and glocktalk is what makes them funny. You cannot have a rational discussion on certain topics because they see it as threat to their tribal superstitions, and the outlandish claims come flying out.

Kinda sounds like here on occasion. Better not rationally criticize certain deified weapons here either. :rolleyes:

I've always felt that anyone that owns only 1 brand, or say every model of one brand, is missing a lot. Like those Glockers who own every model and color, but little of anything else.

I once found out that a colleague was into archery. Since I am too, I thought cool, someone to shoot with. Well, as it turns out, he shoots recurve, and I shoot compound, and "real men" shoot recurves and wimps shoot compound. No "real man" would associate in any archery activity with someone who shoots a compound bow. Talk about tribal superstition.

It seems that too many people have to seek validation instead of camaraderie.

Guest gcrookston

There is a lot of good info on AR15.com, and like anywhere (it seems), fanaticism, blind logic and weird science can be found. Even here, The Rabbi is not a polymer frame fan, you couldn't duct tape a glock to my dead hand, and I think the idea of the Rabbi's J frame being the end-all is just plain crazy. But he and I agree on one thing that really ticks off a lot of members: The 1911's days as King have been over for a number of years. I'd like to convince him the HK polymer frames are the fitz. He'd like to convince me the J frame is the end-all.

So here's what happens... I didn't know didly about J frames (other than it's an old man's gun often seen pulled from the ankle in cop shows). I've done a lot of reading... see my post in the market place of this forum. Now I need to hook him up with a P230sk...

What I'm trying to say is approach each post with an open mind. Correct only those posts you can support with data, and try to get a long...