Who Says 5.56 is wimpy?

Guest gcrookston

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gcrookston

Went shooting earlier this weekend with a client. I brought my AR, HK93 out first... when I brought out my M1a1 and bolt gun, he said "now we are going to shoot real guns". When I got home I fished around for the picture I had taken of "5.56 vs 7.62", the one posted here and sent it to him. I didn't exactly tell him the truth... but I didn't lie, either... both rounds are NATO Ball...

U.S. 5.56mm Cartridge Designations

Both M193, with its copper-jacketed and cannelured lead-core bullet (see representative cartridge drawing), and its companion M196 tracing round (identified by a red tip), are now used during range training. The latter is designed to trace out to 500 yards.

The M195 is used with the grenade projection adapter.

The M197 High Pressure Test (HPT) is identified by its plain tip and silver, as opposed to brass, case.

The M199 is used during mechanical training (loading practice), "simulated firing to detect flinching of personnel when firing," and for "inspecting and testing the weapon mechanisms." Case has six (6) longitudinal corrugations (flutings) and the primer pocket is open to prevent wear to the firing pin.

The M200 is deployed during training when simulated live fire is desired. The case mouth is closed with a seven-petal rosette crimp and has a violet tip. (An M15A2 blank-firing device must be installed to fire this ammunition.) Note: use of the original M200 blank cartridges, identified by their white tip, resulted in a malfunction-inducing residue buildup, and were replaced by the current, violet-tipped blank cartridge.

The M202 (SSX822) is the new 58 grain FMJ "tri-metal penetrator."

The M232 is used for function testing. The entire round has black chemical finish and no primer.

The NATO standard, nato-bug.jpg, M855 round is intended for use against light matériel targets and personnel, but not vehicles. Identified by a green tip, the 62 grain projectile is constructed of a lead alloy core topped by a steel penetrator, the whole contained within a gilding (copper alloy) metal jacket. The primer and case are waterproof. (See representative cartridge drawing.) Despite the round's penetration abilities, BATF has specifically exempted it from the AP ban.

The M856, identified by an orange tip on its copper-plated steel jacket, is used for observation of fire, incendiary effects and signaling. As with all all illuminated bullets except the new Hornady rounds introduced in the mid-'90s, it is hollowed out at the base and a tracing compound appended. (See representative cartridge drawing.) The perceived requirement to stabilze this round caused the M16A2 to have a 1:7-inch rate of twist instead of the more desirable 1:9-inch. Much longer than the earlier M196 tracer bullets (55 grain), it is designed to trace out to 875 yards.

m862.jpg The M862 Short Range Training Ammunition (SRTA) provides a realistic training alternative to M193/M855 service rounds. With a maximum range of 250 meters, the "plastic practice" round has an effective range of 25 meters, but requires the M2 Training Bolt when used in the M16A2 Rifle.

The M995, identified by its black-tip, uses a shaped tungsten core in a jacketed envelope, and penetrates 12 mm armour plate of 300 HB at 100 meters. It began development in 1992 as part of the Soldier Enhancement Program, and its primary mission is to improve incapacitation capability against troops within lightly armored threat vehicles.

The XM996 Dim Tracer ammunition provides the user with a tracing round which is invisible when viewed with the naked eye but which can be seen when viewed through night vision devices (NVDs) and does not cause visual interference to the wearer of a NVD. Standard tracer ammunition provides excessive illumination/visual interference ("blooming" effect) to the user when viewed through NVDs (The 5.56 is a wimpy round for a battle rifle, our troops are trading up to even AKs because the 5.56 cannot penetrate even moderate cover, under 2700 fps the round is not effective on personell, so distance is a factor. The new battle rifle will be either the 6.8 or the 6.5, much superior to the 5.56. I have a 5.56 rifle, they are fun , but when the wolf comes to the door Im grabbing my AK.Im not familiar with the m-82 ball?)

• 4 weeks later...

Wimpy? Far from it.

There was a guy at ARF.com that killed a charging Elephant at 15 miles distance with a .223. The amazing part was he hit the elephant in the hind quarters, and it dropped the elephant on the spot. I think it is in the book of world records.

There was a guy at ARF.com that killed a charging Elephant at 15 miles distance with a .223. The amazing part was he hit the elephant in the hind quarters, and it dropped the elephant on the spot. I think it is in the book of world records.

:popcorn:

What's the bullet drop for a .223 at 15 miles?

:)

What's the bullet drop for a .223 at 15 miles?

Statistics found at arf.com state that a 55 grain bullet, will drop .00001 inch at 38 miles. and .0002 inches at 76 miles. The 62 grain bullet, will drop more, .00003 inch at 38 miles, and .000445 inches at 76 miles. You will need to consult the special arf.com ballistic tables for differing distances.

That is the beauty of the venerable .223, if you can see it, it is a straight line of fire, and a sure kill. With the .223, even a near miss will kill. One guy at arf.com killed a rhino at 3 miles with a shot in the ear.

www.ar15.com\ballisticstables\223\bulletdrop38mi

Guest gcrookston

I need some of this ammo they're smoking...

Dug out my dope book for my 93. here's the dope I've worked up on my hk93 with 62gr GMM:

100 yrds: +1.5", 200 yrds -0.0" 300 yrds -6.50", 400yrds -20.50", 500yrds -50.0"

(this is at 5,600 feet altitude).

So I was mistaken. the bullet drop at 15 miles is more like 12 miles.:eek: