Add one to the ranks..my 6 y/o with sniper hide PICS

Guest Quiet-Medicine-762

Guest Quiet-Medicine-762

A few weeks ago my boy tells me he wanted to build himself a "Hide" after watching

one of the sniper shows we recorded on the DVR....

I told him we'd go out once the weather broke and there was a little sunshine..

Well the weather never broke and by chance it seemed we would never make it and

I felt like I had brushed him off a couple times when we could have made it work..

Today it was actually spitting snow up on the mountain ..But we went for it anyway!

Both my kids are really into shooting and love the outdoors (I don't know why)..icon_smile_approve.gif

So today, I get home and I find out my son had made himself a "Sniper Hide" behind our home with some camo burlap

and he asked if we could go shoot something..It was cold but I said sure lets go..Give me a few minutes to get ready..

But today was different.. he wanted to "man-up" and go for something bigger than his 10/22 or an Ar15..I knew what he wanted!

I couldn't resist and told him I had just the thing..

7.62 Mike Mike..

So I broke out an Ar10 project he and I put together and away we went..

I had shot about 10 rounds out of this particular rifle since we put it together and I've been wanting

to shoot it a little myself..But I had been a little under the weather myself and the actual weather has sucked here for awhile..

I grabbed our gear and attempted to spot his "Hide" while walking out..

I could not resist the urge NOT to be able to see it..But it was actually hard to spot considering a 6 year old put it up

and what it consisted of...I explained it was more of a foxhole (with no hole,mama wouldn't let him take my E-Tool)

So we get close and I inspect it and he eagerly awaited my approval..Which

he received a big thumbs up with a couple of pointers how to get more miles out of his area next time...

I walked a little further down the hill beyond his position which is about 600 yards from my house,put target box down and after I painted it with my range finder just to get an idea where to start the dope for this rifle..

I noticed it was set it at near 85 yards with about a 20 degree downward slope.. I started to

go back and move the box a little closer...I was thinking 50 yards so I could adjust for a zero at 200..

Then I had a thought...I remembered this was not for anything else... Just for my son..So, I just said the hell with it..

Not like I wasn't doing any linear tracking or anything.. So I just left it there because I am replacing the scope asap anyway..From that point on..I really didn't care if we hit anything ...Just NOT anything living!anim_lol.gif..As long as he

got to experience the 7.62..

Truth be told,I was just hoping he would hit the box and be happy..Since he had never shot anything

with much more recoil than he and I shooting a 20ga...IF he didn't do so well this time..Then better shooting next time!

Once I got semi-set in on the scope and put a round on one of the SAS's on the box.. I handed it over to my son who is 6 and BANG,BANG (you know what happened)I was waiting to see how he reacted and he looked back at me with a huge

**** eating grin and I knew he was HOOKED for Life!!..

Bang,bang,bang and click went the safety..It was my turn..We went back and forth a few times with a couple of

breaks in between..A little coaching and some more shooting..

Then I started looking at his part of the box and noticed he WAS hitting [span style=font-weight: bold]the small[/span] "Shoot-N-See" targets that I just stuck on a cardboard box..His groups were tight and consistent..He

is a proven shooter with smaller caliber rifles but I really didn't expect him to do much more than close his eyes

and squeeze the trigger...I was truly impressed with his shooting..

I took the opportunity to get a few "Tough Guy" photos of him so he could brag to his fan base(grandma,uncle,mom and sister) ..

Enjoy!!

This was just a day for fun and memories !icon_smile.gif...It is a good thing to ALWAYS remember

There needs to be more of these days with our family or loved ones and that not every time WE go to the range it has to be serious business..or to advance our tacticool level to "Superbad"..Which I have had my share of in days past...

We were plinking with M118 and FGMM 168gr and I could not have cared less how much we

sent down into our little homemade target box....Even if it was at $25-$30 a box..

But thankfully we only shot a little more than box of each before the recoil got to him a little..smiley_abused.gif..But he never

let it be known that it is a little more than he was used to shooting..

It started getting dark and we packed up,walked back out and that was that

Today,It felt like one of those Pre " Everyone Rush For Preps",train,train,train,days and I didn't give a crap just as long as he always remember the first time he shot a 7.62 out of a "Sniper Rifle" (per my son)

FYI..He had ear and eyes on for every live round shot and took them off for some pics..ALL pics were taken at my place on the mountain right here in the greatest state in America..TENNESSEE!!:usa:

2010_01250146.jpg

2010_01250148.jpg

2010_01250149.jpg

2010_01250153.jpg

2010_01250141.jpg

2010_01250142.jpg

2010_01250143.jpg

2010_01250087.jpg

2010_01250088.jpg

2010_01250116.jpg

2010_01250130.jpg

Here is the backstop...It is about 20 thousand acres of God's creation...So I doubt we hit anything living..icon_smile_clown.gif

2009_1229RockBridge0111.jpg

2009_1229RockBridge0112.jpg

2009_1229RockBridge0114.jpg

2009_1229RockBridge0124.jpg

2009_1229RockBridge0110.jpg

2009_1229RockBridge0109.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BEARMAN

That's an absolutley priceless outing you guys had, and will be rememberd forever, I'm sure! Great photography too...Thanks for sharing it wiith us!

Folks, take the the time to introduce our young and women-folk to the sport of shooting and hunting and the outdoors....it's a win, win situation, and guarantees the continuation of our American heritage. :usa:

Great story, I can't wait until my son gets old enough to go out shooting with me.

It's a pretty cool feeling. My oldest shot my AR for the 1st time a few weeks ago. I was really amazed that he wanted to shoot it as much as he did. He probably put 20+ rounds through it.

https://home.comcast.net/~ericdouthitt/DSCN6129.MOV

Edited by Tempest455
Added video
  • 1 month later...