Scary situation:easily prevented

So I have been a little annoyed by this for a while now and thought I would share what happened.

I was home alone a few weeks ago when the following took place. I was downstairs in my basement(yes college student still living at home) when I heard the front door open. I immediately go into defensive mode and grab my gun that was beside me. This is not normal b/c my parents don't use the front door ever, nor do they come home during the day very often.

A few seconds pass(seemed like hours) and I can hear someone moving around near the door. I am trying to plan what I should do next when I hear a deep voice say "hello"... This makes me somewhat at ease only because I don't think most robbers would announce their presence. But I wasn't taking any chances so I open my basement door looking up to find a repair-man staring back at me... Apparently my mom had hired him to work on the gas fireplace and decided I didn't need to know someone was going to be coming over.(she left a key outside)

The frustrating part is that my parents are oblivious to the basics. They give me grief when I double check the locks and my step-dad is always giving me crap about my gun being on my hip, on my nightstand etc....

Any suggestions on how I can teach them to use a little more common sense? Sorry for the long thread...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since at least one of your folks is at least a little gun-resistant, frame any suggestions to them about SD and home security with the 'anything can happen, anywhere, at any time/it pays to be prepared' sort of motif. That to me seems to be good logic regardless of the viewpoint.

Just my .02...

mike

Since at least one of your folks is at least a little gun-resistant, frame any suggestions to them about SD and home security with the 'anything can happen, anywhere, at any time/it pays to be prepared' sort of motif. That to me seems to be good logic regardless of the viewpoint.

Just my .02...

mike

Thanks Mike, I plan on trying to talk to them about it without pissing them off..

Any suggestions on how I can teach them to use a little more common sense?

It's tough to teach common sense. You may have to result to fear and scare tactics. :lol:

Maybe arrange it so they watch the local news more often... all kinds of break-in and crime stories there. However, I'm sure they know the crime is out there, they just don't think it will happen to them. Sometimes that reality is tough to accept for some people. Once they realize it CAN happen to them, then I think you will see some progress.:shake:

Edited by Batman

My wife doesn't have a problem with having workmen in the house when no one is home. This bugs the stew out of me. I have always been home when there is work being done on the house because I don't trust people I know half the time much less people I don't. So far it has been employees of clients of hers so she had a good relationship with them but that's not for me.

As to the parents not "having a clue". You could always "stage" something to scare them.

Just be prepared to move out if you do.

So I have been a little annoyed by this for a while now and thought I would share what happened.

I was home alone a few weeks ago when the following took place. I was downstairs in my basement(yes college student still living at home) when I heard the front door open. I immediately go into defensive mode and grab my gun that was beside me. This is not normal b/c my parents don't use the front door ever, nor do they come home during the day very often.

A few seconds pass(seemed like hours) and I can hear someone moving around near the door. I am trying to plan what I should do next when I hear a deep voice say "hello"... This makes me somewhat at ease only because I don't think most robbers would announce their presence. But I wasn't taking any chances so I open my basement door looking up to find a repair-man staring back at me... Apparently my mom had hired him to work on the gas fireplace and decided I didn't need to know someone was going to be coming over.(she left a key outside)

The frustrating part is that my parents are oblivious to the basics. They give me grief when I double check the locks and my step-dad is always giving me crap about my gun being on my hip, on my nightstand etc....

Any suggestions on how I can teach them to use a little more common sense? Sorry for the long thread...

Yeah once one of em gets beaten or killed in a robbery or home invasion they will change their ways. Until then dont bet on it. :)

If your parents are the type that use the argument "That sort of thing always happens to somebody else/other people"... remind them that, to the rest of the world, THEY are the "somebody else"/"other people". :)

J.

Guest ogreabroad

My parents have always been anti-gun. My mother came to visit me one time, and we started talking about my gun, my desire to get more, and why I needed them...

I started down the road of, "its a scary world out there... seems to be getting more n more dangerous every day... I view it as my responsibility to keep my family safe and defend them if necessary, etc" I really laid it on her...

Her answer was, "I just cant think that way..."

Seems to be the vein of liberalism... Ignorance is bliss, and many libs plant both feet in Ignora-land... and refuse to budge!

On a positive note though... ive been working on her, dont expect a fast return... mention stuff from the news, killings, strong-arm robberies, etc.. the more they hear about the dangers of the world around them... the more likely they are to look around and see for themselves... they will eventually come around... mine has.

Last time she talked to my wife, and the wifey was complaining about my antics to her... my mother actually told my wife that if my father had done that to her... she woulda shot him! LOL

Edited by ogreabroad
typos

I had a story similar to this. Back in 1999-2001 I was going to school at TTC in Athens TN and lived across the road in some apartments. I had a 12 gauge pump at the time remington 870. Normally, when the maintenance man was to come the management would leave notes on everyone's doors letting us know or they would call. Well, they never called and never left a note. I was taking a shower and had the shotty in the bedroom with the bedroom door closed. I heard someone "moving around" in the den. I got out of the shower, wrapped a towell around me got the shotty and opened the bedroom door. There was a guy in the den that had his back to me. I said who the F are you and what the f are you doing in my apartment? He turned around saw the gun and his eyes got as big as quarters and I think he peed himself. Anyways, he said I am the maintenance man here to change the filter in your heating and air unit. I said do you have some id? He gave me some id that said he was a maintenance man but that wasnt good enough. I held him at gun point and called management. They confirmed he was their guy and had been sent to change that filter. I advised them to let me know ahead of time about this because I just pulled a gun on him. From then on I never had a problem with not knowing they were coming to do maintenance.

Bottle of ketchup/catsup.

Lie down on the floor and poor bottle of ketchup/catsup all over yourself, then throw bottle under couch. When they come home and find you, lie motionless for a minute or two (60-120 seconds, NOT 2-3 seconds). When they start freaking out then you can explain to them that this is the money you could be saving by switching to Geico...I mean this is what could happen to you (or them) be leaving doors open or by having unannounced visitors and leaving keys under doormats. Maybe that will open their eyes. :)

I see two issues.

The 1st is their resistance to your having a handgun for SD. Most of us have various family or friends that have differing views just as part of the population as a whole is pro gun and some are anti gun.

The 2nd is that they would leave a key for a stranger to use to enter the house when they are not there. I can't concieve of allowing a stranges in my house un attended.

I don't know - I think that 'staging' something would have shock value but not much more. In fact, the ketchup scenario would probably just convince them that you are completely nuts and not to be taken seriously.

I think having an adult conversation is probably the best way to go. If you want to use 'shock value' in such a conversation, do some research. Find articles about normal people killed in home invasions or even find transcripts (or, better yet, actual recordings) of 911 calls which have been posted online of home owners calling the police for help during a robbery and home invasion situation. Find examples where the home owner was murdered or seriously injured by the invader as well as examples where an armed resident stopped the criminal and possibly/probably saved their own life and the lives of others. Give them real life examples that drive home the fact that the police often or even usually can't get there in time to help. Point out that the victims in these incidents had probably made it through years of life with no trouble at all but that did nothing to guarantee they would never have a problem - as the real world incidents illustrate. Try to remain rational and present your argument in a reasonable manner. It may be hard not to get frustrated but resist the urge as well as you can.

I'm glad I never had to convince my parents of the value of having a firearm or of the possibility of having to defend one's home. Thankfully, I would have been preaching to the choir on that!

Edited by JAB

EASY SOLUTION YOU ARE 21YEARS OLD MOVE OUT OF YOUR PARENTS HOUSE!

Guest Caveman
Bottle of ketchup/catsup.

Lie down on the floor and poor bottle of ketchup/catsup all over yourself, then throw bottle under couch. When they come home and find you, lie motionless for a minute or two (60-120 seconds, NOT 2-3 seconds). When they start freaking out then you can explain to them that this is the money you could be saving by switching to Geico...I mean this is what could happen to you (or them) be leaving doors open or by having unannounced visitors and leaving keys under doormats. Maybe that will open their eyes. :)

;) Nice

I see two issues.

The 1st is their resistance to your having a handgun for SD. Most of us have various family or friends that have differing views just as part of the population as a whole is pro gun and some are anti gun.

The 2nd is that they would leave a key for a stranger to use to enter the house when they are not there. I can't concieve of allowing a stranges in my house un attended.

ya, my mom lives in fantasy land. She grew up in rural minnesota with 18 brothers and sisters(yes i said 18) They never locked doors and people were always coming and going. she still thinks its normal to have people coming and going. I just need to sit down and have a talk with her. When I first got my gun she did mention getting one also, it's my step-dad that needs to:chill:

Maybe you could talk them into getting a security system (you know, to monitor for fires :up:). Then, they would have to be a little more careful about not letting strangers come and go because of setting off the system. That could work unless they give the code to the repairman.

It's your parents' house, their rules... It's a shame they are the kind who have to learn lessons the hard way, when it comes to how evil other people can be. Truly the liberal mindset: "It won't happen to me"... then when it does: "Somebody else should solve this for me".

Oh well. Sorry for ya, but sorry for you parents especially if someone does take advantage of their oblivion... But take solace in that you could make your own rules in your own home. There's a goal.

Do you have an extra $500 bucks a month laying around? I sure don't

I assume that you're a student? Perhaps a like-minded room-mate would make it more affordable if you only have time for a part-time job?

Maybe you could talk them into getting a security system (you know, to monitor for fires ;)). Then, they would have to be a little more careful about not letting strangers come and go because of setting off the system. That could work unless they give the code to the repairman.

We have a security system....that they choose not to pay for or use.....:up:

[quote name=

I assume that you're a student? Perhaps a like-minded room-mate would make it more affordable if you only have time for a part-time job?[/quote]

Even with a room-mate most decent places are around $500 a month. I do work part-time but by the time I pay for all my other expenses I barely break even. And besides, think how much ammo I could buy with that money!!!:up:

Guest peacexxl

I think the mentality of "move out of your parents house" and "their house their rules" kinda misses the OP's point if I understand him correctly. It's not that he's complaining of a lack of privacy or respect from his parents. Sounds to me like he has issues with their general lack of concern for saftey. I don't live with my parents but I want them to think and live saftey minded for their own sakes.

I don't know - I think that 'staging' something would have shock value but not much more. In fact, the ketchup scenario would probably just convince them that you are completely nuts and not to be taken seriously.

I think having an adult conversation is probably the best way to go. If you want to use 'shock value' in such a conversation, do some research. Find articles about normal people killed in home invasions or even find transcripts (or, better yet, actual recordings) of 911 calls which have been posted online of home owners calling the police for help during a robbery and home invasion situation. Find examples where the home owner was murdered or seriously injured by the invader as well as examples where an armed resident stopped the criminal and possibly/probably saved their own life and the lives of others. Give them real life examples that drive home the fact that the police often or even usually can't get there in time to help. Point out that the victims in these incidents had probably made it through years of life with no trouble at all but that did nothing to guarantee they would never have a problem - as the real world incidents illustrate. Try to remain rational and present your argument in a reasonable manner. It may be hard not to get frustrated but resist the urge as well as you can.

I'm glad I never had to convince my parents of the value of having a firearm or of the possibility of having to defend one's home. Thankfully, I would have been preaching to the choir on that!

I agree about the real life incident reports and recordings.

Here's a video on youtube that can help you get started. It's not for the faint hearted as it has a couple of real world 911 calls recorded in it. It's a video of a police officer on a quest to get citizens to arm themselves because of what's out there. I'm sure some of the folks on the forum have seen this before but I just saw it two nights ago when my wife found it on limalife's youtube channel as a favorite video. (limalife on youtube is a female who has obtained her permit, become and NRA instructor and has had LOTS of training. Her youtube channel is a great resource to share with females who you're trying to get into SD or CCW. She has good information for men in her videos as well)

If you can get your folks to watch and listen, ...this might cause a crack of light to start peeking through. When my wife listened to this, she was at home alone and it terrified her and sent chills through her spine. She was very glad we have recently obtained handguns and applied for permits. Thankfully, she's very open to this. My parents on the other hand seem to not like handguns. Dad owns shotguns and has hunted some but he would never keep one loaded in the house. They haven't come out and said it, but I know behind my back they are not real pleased that I'm gonna be packin. That's just the way it is.

It is hard for a younger person to tell their much older parents (who have lived outside of harm's way for fifty or more years) that they should take action to protect themselves. After all, ...they've lived decades with no serious trouble involving violence. Usually, from what I've read on the internet, seen on videos, and heard from friends, ...most people like that don't like guns until something bad happens to them or someone very close to them. Unfortunately, it sometimes takes a serious threat, injury or death from violence, very close to them to get them to stare into the face of reality that they are a helpless victim and should take measures against being a helpless victim.

Edited by tt0511